The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Who makes a dedicated Hardware Filter (HP and LP) filter box? Equalisers (HW)
Old 13th August 2010
Lives for gear

Who makes a dedicated Hardware Filter (HP and LP) filter box?

Hello to all,

I am having a hard time finding someone in this world who makes a dedicated 4 channel or 8 channel (colorless) High Pass and Low pass filter box. 20 to 20 bandwidth.

Seems that plug ins got a idea of this. Where's the hardware that can match what a plug in can do? Besides the automation. You got McDsp Filter bank, and other EQ plug ins that give you filters for Hp/Lp filtering or cut. And they are variable. But they are plug ins.

Is there any Hardware unit that does this and only this (HP and LP only)? Yes I got plenty of eqs that have filters, but it seems you need to have a certain EQ to get the filters you want. For example, Neve has certain stepped filter points, Focusrite ISA, API eqs, etc. But you are limited to their chosen stepped points and these units change the sound if you stack it on top of the original recording. And they are not variable like an SSL filters or Harrison 32eq. So I was hoping to find a variable option. With no to minimal coloration on the original signal. And not having to buy a total channel strip or eq/pre, or buy a SSL x rack, SSL preamps to get good HP and LP filters.. Only filters.

So in conclusion, I trying to find something that doesn't do but one thing. "cut, slice and dice the signal via HP LP filtering". Cut 3db, 6db, 12db, 18db, or variable. Doesn't change the original sound of the recorded material and its hardware not a plug in.

Thanks for the help.
Old 13th August 2010
Shiney box makes a 500 module, each of which has a high and low. So a 500 rack with 8 or 10 of those would do you I guess.

http://www.mercenary.com/shinybox-guillotine.html
Old 13th August 2010
Lives for gear

Since you ask at Highend heh

ADT V700 Audio modules
Old 13th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas G View Post
Since you ask at Highend heh

ADT V700 Audio modules

Wow. Never knew about this piece. NICE!!!!thumbsup and your right! Its high end!!heh

Holy shxt! this looks promising. But $2500 US dollars per module. OUCH Very nice man . I am glad to see somebody out there is catching on with this and knowing we need this in the modern hybrid studio.

Andreas, have you used this piece before? Heard it? I am wondering if it alters the sound in any way? Like adding more color which I am trying to avoid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
Shiney box makes a 500 module, each of which has a high and low. So a 500 rack with 8 or 10 of those would do you I guess.

ShinyBox Guillotine 500-Series High- and Low-Pass Filters

Dean thanks. But this unit looks somewhat limited. No gain or slope steepness. Like a plug in would have. 3db cut to 18db of cutting power

Have you used this guillotine? Is it transparent?
Old 13th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNX View Post
Wow. Never knew about this piece. NICE!!!!thumbsup and your right! Its high end!!heh

Holy shxt! this is it. Very nice man. I am glad to see somebody out there is catching on with this and knowing we need this in the modern hybrid studio.

Andreas, have you used this piece before? Heard it? I am wondering if it alters the sound in any way? Like adding more color which I am trying to avoid.
Sorry not, I'd like to but it's out of my pricerange. Ask Lindell I believe he uses that V700 stuff at his place.

Good luck!
Old 13th August 2010
Quote:
Dean thanks. But this unit looks somewhat limited. No gain or slope steepness. Like a plug in would have. 3db cut to 18db of cutting power

No, sorry, I haven't. I just knew of it from one of many masturbatory equipment fantasies.
Old 13th August 2010
Lives for gear

Don't know if they still do, but years ago Hewlett-Packard made such a beast.
Old 13th August 2010
The Guillotine sounds nice as does the API 200 series filter. You might also want to check the awesome Tonelux Tilt rack, 8 channels of butter, not sure if it's just a filter or has some boost there too though. You could also get one of the many modular synth offerings if you want more control over the filter type and shape.
Old 13th August 2010
Gear Addict

I've been looking for such a box for about 15 years. Here's another option but of course it's pricey as well.

API 215L Discrete HP/LP Sweep Filter
Old 14th August 2010
Lives for gear

I have 3 Shiny Box Guillotines and plan on getting 3 more.
Old 14th August 2010
Lives for gear

yeah, the API is nice, but if you don't want that sound, check these other ADTs out:

ADT 3 Band EQ... filters... damn cheap!
Old 14th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrichie View Post
yeah, the API is nice, but if you don't want that sound, check these other ADTs out:

ADT 3 Band EQ... filters... damn cheap!

Dubrichie. Thanks. The toolmod modular system and modules looks like the right thing I need to get. Very nice and good fair pricing as well. You tried any of these?

German made too. very nice.

Yea the APIs 200 series filters have 2520s and transformer in there. Definitely will have the API sound. Trying to find more of the neutral thing. With DB steepness control.
Old 14th August 2010
Lives for gear

I know you probably made up your mind, but...
Sherman Filterbank was used in a lot of hit songs and sounds very good.
Check it out. Look at the artist bank section.

Sherman Productions
Old 14th August 2010
Lives for gear

MasteringWorks

Universalfilter W2377 API 500 Modul The three fully parametric RS Audio Technique W2377 filter modules cover the complete frequency range from 20Hz to 23KHz. The level potentiometer allows continuous gain settings with an effective range of +/-10dB.

The choice of the overlapping frequency bands (low, mid, high), with just three different modules allow precise control of each band and offers the possibility to combine the modules at will. The filter resonance can be set in steps from 0,3 to 10 and via the left stop position respectively the right stop position a high-pass or low-pass filter can be engaged. The frequency control adjusts the limiting frequency of these filters.

The illuminated switches and buttons allow a quick change between processed and unprocessed material. The Off switch activates a true bypass function, which removes the unit from the signal chain without undesired effects. When networking more than one W2377 the Solo switch bypasses all operating units, so that only the chosen module is active. The Pad button inverts the level of a module to allocate a specific frequency for boost or cut.

The units comply with the API 500 series and can be integrated in any API environment. High-quality ALPS potentiometers and step switches from ELMA ensure a long-term usage of the units for continuous operation. For the alignment to different studio operating levels the level matching of the in- and outputs can be adjusted with a variable resistor on the print board.

Technische Daten Level potentiometer with midway indent at 0dB
Frequency potentiometer for low, mid and high band filter
9 stepped ELMA switch for the adjustment of the filter resonance (Q-factor)
Frequency selective high-pass and low-pass filter function
Illuminated switches for the true bypass and solo function
Illuminated button (Pad) activates the invert-function of the level control

Applications
First-class fully parametric filter module for API 500 systems for frequency correction during recording, mixing and mastering as well as effect filter for limitation of the band.
Attached Thumbnails
Who makes a dedicated Hardware Filter (HP and LP) filter box?-7c5f2ab1e607f305b83a7f3ec4acb366.jpg  
Old 14th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Dubrichie. Thanks. The toolmod modular system and modules looks like the right thing I need to get. Very nice and good fair pricing as well. You tried any of these?

German made too. very nice.

Yea the APIs 200 series filters have 2520s and transformer in there. Definitely will have the API sound. Trying to find more of the neutral thing. With DB steepness control.
no, i haven't actually tried them yet, but have a good gut feeling that they are quality stuff.

i have spoken to the head of ADT at length on the phone, he's a very nice guy and is happy to send out demo units.

mail them or call them.
Old 14th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hello to all,

I am having a hard time finding someone in this world who makes a dedicated 4 channel or 8 channel (colorless) High Pass and Low pass filter box. 20 to 20 bandwidth.

Seems that plug ins got a idea of this. Where's the hardware that can match what a plug in can do? Besides the automation. You got McDsp Filter bank, and other EQ plug ins that give you filters for Hp/Lp filtering or cut. And they are variable. But they are plug ins.
This is were plugs really excel IMO. Not that I don't love my hardware filters but as you say they are not colorless. What are the plug filters doing that is negative to your work?
Old 14th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

haven't heard it but I know that "transparent, non coloring" was one of the primary design goals - Jon wanted to build something to do just this task, but do it good, without adding another flavor to the signal.
Old 14th August 2010
Lives for gear

e
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrichie View Post
no, i haven't actually tried them yet, but have a good gut feeling that they are quality stuff.

i have spoken to the head of ADT at length on the phone, he's a very nice guy and is happy to send out demo units.

mail them or call them.

Yea, its looks good. Suprise there are not many folks here who own or tried these eqs. I guess I need to give it a shot. I think I will order 4 of those in a 1u rack. And get 4 channels for a starter. thumbsup

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul999 View Post
This is were plugs really excel IMO. Not that I don't love my hardware filters but as you say they are not colorless. What are the plug filters doing that is negative to your work?
They are not sounding better or giving me high fidelity results like my class A solld and tubed gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaVogi View Post
haven't heard it but I know that "transparent, non coloring" was one of the primary design goals - Jon wanted to build something to do just this task, but do it good, without adding another flavor to the signal.

Thanks for sharing man. But man...those Toolmod TLM107s look sweet. I hope they sound as good as they look. We will find out soon enough.

After further investigation with this TLM107 eq. Its seems to be a eq, not a HP and LP filter cut. I mean, you can lower the shelving low and high, but your not actually doing a HP or LP cut, like the pictured neve filter and SSL filter.
I am chasing after the cut (the GINSU of prime cuts) , not the lowering of hi and low shelves. I already have eqs that do that. Or am I am missing it on the TLM107 eq? Is there HP and LP cut filters on it? The issue I have with Neve and SSL filters. There is no steepness control. 6db to 20db or more. Just a two dials for what freq you want to start cutting at. And in (on) or out (off) buttons. Please somebody make a good analog hardware filter for us all.
Attached Thumbnails
Who makes a dedicated Hardware Filter (HP and LP) filter box?-toolmod107_20h610.jpg   Who makes a dedicated Hardware Filter (HP and LP) filter box?-media.jpg   Who makes a dedicated Hardware Filter (HP and LP) filter box?-xrackmicpre-xlarge.jpg  
Old 14th August 2010
Lives for gear

Mick Hinton can make these for you.

I have asked about this specifically.
Old 15th August 2010
Lives for gear

Krohn-Hite and other similar lab gear manufacturers. Continuously sweepable. Tons of used pieces out there. Go old enough, and they are tube!
Old 4th September 2010
Gear Maniac
After further investigation with this TLM107 eq. Its seems to be a eq, not a HP and LP filter cut. I mean, you can lower the shelving low and high, but your not actually doing a HP or LP cut, like the pictured neve filter and SSL filter.
I am chasing after the cut (the GINSU of prime cuts) , not the lowering of hi and low shelves. I already have eqs that do that. Or am I am missing it on the TLM107 eq? Is there HP and LP cut filters on it? The issue I have with Neve and SSL filters. There is no steepness control. 6db to 20db or more. Just a two dials for what freq you want to start cutting at. And in (on) or out (off) buttons. Please somebody make a good analog hardware filter for us all.[/QUOTE]

Hey, if you need the lo/hi pass filters, get the ADT di or mic pre toolmod module. they both have sweepable hi and lo pass with line i/o. you get a mic pre or DI as extra. . . I have a couple of toolkits with these filters (and a ton of other stuff) and they all sound amazing. you will love.
Old 4th September 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Kowmashev View Post
Please somebody make a good analog hardware filter for us all.
Just picked up the Dangerous Bax (HP, LP, Shelving), and recommend it.
Welcome to Dangerous Music
Dangerous Bax Mastering Shelving EQ | VintageKing.com
Old 6th September 2010
Lives for gear

Hi guys.

We are just finishing our first commerciall project.
It will be an eq, so we have all the parts needed to do such filters.
We always built eqs and comps for us or on a secial order, and I think we can get together such thing. Tell me what you would need, this is my list of ideas.

-4ch HP LP filter
-6,12,18dB cuts to choose
-Link mode on 1+2 and 3+4
-Low cut 20-1000 (more?)
-High Cut 20000-2000 (more?)
-Hard bypass on every element
-Full recall function for the whole unit

Anything more?
Old 6th September 2010
Easy to just build your own. Not really that complicated.
Old 6th September 2010
Lives for gear

I second the ADT stuff, first class german engineering, quite popular in the continent specially in the broadcast sector.

With the ToolMod series you get filters in the TM101 micpre module for €395. Then the 1U frame holds 5 of those modules and it's around €200. Therefore for just €2,200 (+VAT) you get five sets of filters, besides the pretty good pres, in just 1U. With this combination you also get an XLR input for each mic pre and a dedicated TRS line input (for the filters), both goign to the same XLR output.

edit: well, that makes my post 1,300 here (but 10 times less than Thrill, and we've both been around here for as long)
Old 27th September 2010
Gear Nut

adt audio also has a special dedicated HP/LP module for the toolmod
mastering series. it`s not on the homepage, but I have one of them.
it´s for their mastering strip. it`s stereo and has dialable characteristics (butterworth, maximium flat, tchebichev 1 and 2 etc.) it´s also switchable between 6/12dB..it´s about 600euro +tax
Old 27th September 2010
Lives for gear

What's with this one ?

ShinyBox Guillotine 500-Series High- and Low-Pass Filters

I had NTP 182-200 for awhile, but after all I went to plugins...
Old 15th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
Easy to just build your own. Not really that complicated.
An active highpass? How did you build yours?
Old 15th January 2016
Not sure if these are actually a HP/LP filter, per se', but it appears that they may serve a similar enough function.

Lilpeqr & Lilpeqr-M

I believe these were either designed or influenced by Jens at Eisen Audio.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search