The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Which Compressor
Old 14th August 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattski View Post
Looking for advise on what compressor to pick up.

I'm interested in a compressor that can handle whatever I throw at it. Mostly Drums, Bass, Guitar and Vocals, and for many different genres. But most important I'm looking for a character compressor. ...

...I'd like to spend no more then $3,500.
I really feel to suggest you the Variable Gm compressor. My favourite tube comp.
A character compressor, with an amazing 3D depth.
Check out some threads w/sound clips:
Drums,
Qes Labs Variable-GM Compressor/Limiter (sounds and pictures)
Old 17th August 2010
Gear Maniac

Thanks guys!!!

Thanks to everyone that weighed in! I'm still deciding. I think I'm gonna save and get 2 compressors. A Retro 176 to cover the creamy sound for vocals and bass and 2 Distressors. The UBK Fatso is another I really want, the only thing is that I have no control over attack and release times. But every mode that I heard from it sounds fabulous. Still don't know about the Dragon either... A Demo would be great but shipping to Hawaii and then back adds up real fast... If anyone has more insight please jump in.
Old 17th August 2010
Jai guru deva om

I wonder if the RETRO Sta-Level might fit "creamy" better for you overall.

War
Old 17th August 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
I wonder if the RETRO Sta-Level might fit "creamy" better for you overall.

War
I own both the 176 and sta-level and I agree. Sta-level is creamy, 176 more versatile. That's why I own both.

Sean
Old 17th August 2010
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfoote View Post
That's why I own both.

Sean
There should be a heroes page on Gearslutz, you could be captain...!

Nice!

War
Old 18th August 2010
Lives for gear

Wish I owned both. The only preventing me from getting them simultaneously is the fear of the reaction from my wife when the credit card bill came in the mail. stike
Old 18th August 2010
Gear Addict

I have and mix on a console with 2 Distressors, MC77s, Cranesong STC8, DBX 160s, LA2A, Allan Smart C1 ect. My friend a studio owner bought new Dragons. Well one first then another the next day after we A/B the Dragons with all comps mentioned above. Those Dragons just did everything better and sounded unbelievable. They have so many switching options on them, you can make those things sound better that anything you put them up against. I bet soon that mastering guys will get hooked on these dragons for thier versitile sounds and purity of how clean they can also be.

Those Dragons are just crazy, I never heard a compressor as versitle and have so many world class sounds. I love em.

Honestly if anyone can get a there hands on a Dragon please try them out and compare em to what you have and you will be blown away.
Old 18th August 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattski View Post
Looking for advise on what compressor to pick up.

I'm torn between a Retro 176, Daking FET II, UBK Fatso or a SPA Dragon.

I'm interested in a compressor that can handle whatever I throw at it. Mostly Drums, Bass, Guitar and Vocals, and for many different genres. But most important I'm looking for a character compressor. I know people have there different tastes and not just one compressor will always do the job. But if there's one that can handle most well, what will it be. What would you suggest? And if there's another you recommend please chime in.

Much appreciated...
Based on this list, I'd go with the Daking.
Old 19th August 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4blades View Post
I really feel to suggest you the Variable Gm compressor. My favourite tube comp.
A character compressor, with an amazing 3D depth.
Check out some threads w/sound clips:
Drums,
Qes Labs Variable-GM Compressor/Limiter (sounds and pictures)
Didn't know it, it looks stunning! Listened to samples, and love it.
thumbsup
Old 16th March 2014
Gear Nut

Hi Mattski!

It is easy!

Your Mixoff tread: The Green - Love and Affection!

Retro 176 and STA Level on everything!

Google translate!
Old 17th March 2014
SEED78
I badly want the Dragon! Between that and my ACME-XLA3 I think I would have a lot of mono tracking options covered.
Old 24th January 2015
Here for the gear

------NEED HELP------

I got the Fast track C400
http://medias.audiofanzine.com/image...400-561178.jpg

And I'm thinking buying this compressor:
FMR Audio RNC 1773 - Thomann Danmark

Is it easy to connect? and how?

---HELP---
Old 24th January 2015
Gear Maniac

My favorite lately has been the nail by a designs I still use others like the retro and 1176 and the la2a but I find I can get a lot of the same thing accomplished using the nail
Old 24th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyswami View Post
My favorite lately has been the nail by a designs I still use others like the retro and 1176 and the la2a but I find I can get a lot of the same thing accomplished using the nail
You've put the Nail in some pretty good company here. How do you like it on vocals compared to an LA2A?
Old 24th January 2015
SEED78
Since my earlier post, I'm now getting a Foote P4S stereo bus compressor. Meant to be a real beast for tracking and mixing, bigger soundstage than the already great P3S, and more aggressive but elegant colour with huge Cinemag transformers. I've heard from a lot of users that it smokes most of the usual competition. Worth checking out!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search