The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Apogee Symphony I/O
Old 28th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D. View Post
Thunderbolt option works great.
I'm sure it does, thanks for confirming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustusarnone View Post
Thunderbridge is rock solid, I've been running 2 units with 36 analog out and 16 digital via ADAT and it's been problem free. The only thing I worry about is how long before thunderbridge is no longer supported? For ex, Duet 1 is defunct even with the proper adapters, device just won't be recognized anymore. If that happens to thunderbridge after the coin I've invested in this system I'm gonna go mental.
This is the exact dilemma I'm faced with; One - I experience the Duet's connectivity issue, it was the worst - so glad I got rid of that interface. Two - with the way how apple and intel have been operating as of late, I just don't trust Apogee will be on game with their legacy products.

I can't justify spending an additional $500 just for clocking to work when I could sell this unit and move on to something like the Orion 32 which comes with more channels and connectivity. I know Antelope has their issues as well but from what I've seen on gearslutz, most complaints are coming from windows users, and there is live support.
Old 28th October 2019
FWIW, I own an Antelope Satori and I could not be happier with that product. And then I read the Gearslutz thread on it and there are all these disgruntled people saying how they sent it back or they were disappointed in something about it and they definitely would've bought it but.... and from what I can tell it's all a lot of BS. There are guys killing Antelope over the Satori and I can't understand it at all, I love that thing! So, take with a grain of salt.

End of the day though, the Symphony is such a beautiful sounding unit, I think probably there aren't too many in the same class. I mean, maybe the Orion holds up but I kind of doubt it. And having those limiters on the inputs is just gravy, they really work very well.
Old 28th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustusarnone View Post
FWIW, I own an Antelope Satori and I could not be happier with that product. And then I read the Gearslutz thread on it and there are all these disgruntled people saying how they sent it back or they were disappointed in something about it and they definitely would've bought it but.... and from what I can tell it's all a lot of BS. There are guys killing Antelope over the Satori and I can't understand it at all, I love that thing! So, take with a grain of salt.

End of the day though, the Symphony is such a beautiful sounding unit, I think probably there aren't too many in the same class. I mean, maybe the Orion holds up but I kind of doubt it. And having those limiters on the inputs is just gravy, they really work very well.
I know, its a wonderful product but the orion 3rd gen seems promising for $2500. 16 additional ch's and FPGA if I wanted; still no shade on the symphony I've enjoyed it since I got it.
Old 1st November 2019
Could someone please confirm that EXTERNAL clocking (such as using a dedicated ADC as clock master) with the Symphony in fact works with a Thunderbridge or PCIe card? I see posts mentioning it but, unless I'm missing it, nothing official within the manual.
Old 1st November 2019
Quote:
Thunderbolt option works great.
Specifically when using an external clock? Latency and other TB benefits are of little concern when I just want the Symphony to stop freaking out when a dedicated AD converter is used.

Sorry for the double post just trying to get to the bottom of this once and for all.
Old 1st November 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripripstabstab View Post
Could someone please confirm that EXTERNAL clocking (such as using a dedicated ADC as clock master) with the Symphony in fact works with a Thunderbridge or PCIe card? I see posts mentioning it but, unless I'm missing it, nothing official within the manual.
You should not have a single problem syncronizing the Apogee to external clock. I do it on my mk1 all the time (teathered with Symphony 64 pcie)

Last edited by Doc Mixwell; 6 days ago at 04:15 PM..
Old 1st November 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
You should not have a single problem slaving the Apogee to external clock. I do it on my mk1 all the time (teathered with Symphony 64 pcie)
Thank you! Now, where to find this esoteric PC32 cable that isn't sold anywhere...
Old 1st November 2019
Quote:
Thank you! Now, where to find this esoteric PC32 cable that isn't sold anywhere...
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...eters-9.9-foot
Old 1st November 2019
Quote:
Thanks, saw that, but it's not in stock. Signed up for a notification but not holding my breath given B&H's "Expected Availability: Not available"
Old 1st November 2019
Quote:
I have one PC32 0.5m/1.64', and one 3m/9.9' that I no longer need. PM me if anyone's interested.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

For those using Thunderbridge, were you able to connect or output to display by chaining through the unit?
Old 4 weeks ago
Successfully installed the old Symphony 64 PCIe card in my rig - a Hackintosh, no less - and everything is butter smooth. It's now clocked directly via the Dangerous AD+ and my Logic session latency is down to the lowest 32 samples setting and does not flinch even on heavy projects. Very pleased as this is the kind of rig that I can continue to update for years to come as necessary while keeping the Symphony locked without issue.

The card is honestly worth the money for the incredibly low latency alone, which I wasn't even expecting as I just wanted to sort out the clocking. From what I understand via a post from an Apogee rep, the Thunderbridge is the same thing as the Symphony 64 card just in a housing and obviously having Thunderbolt connectivity.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I bought the Apogee Symphony I/O Mk I in 2013, plus the 16 analog in/out card.
The Mk I has been quite a disastrous experience for me (after years and years of using my trustworthy Ensemble).

The device clearly has many development/implementation mistakes and has become a very unreliable link in my studio set up. Now for the second time the device is in repair and for the second time it is because the device refuses to power up.

I send it to Sound Service in Germany where the device now already is for 1 1/2 month with a totally inadequate line of communication. I have no idea if they can fix it and when i can expect a working device back in my studio.

So better stay away from this terrible product on the second hand market.
Old 4 weeks ago
Bummer, works great here and I'm not even using it on an actual Mac. Original Symphony 16x16 is second hand. The PCIe card is second hand. Even the cable that connects them is second hand.

Prior to the power issue - oof - what problems were you having? Never heard of Sound Service but have you spoken with Apogee directly? They've always been very responsive to any questions I've had, unlike a few other "high end" manufacturers I've dealt with.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVi View Post
I bought the Apogee Symphony I/O Mk I in 2013, plus the 16 analog in/out card.
The Mk I has been quite a disastrous experience for me (after years and years of using my trustworthy Ensemble).

The device clearly has many development/implementation mistakes and has become a very unreliable link in my studio set up. Now for the second time the device is in repair and for the second time it is because the device refuses to power up.

I send it to Sound Service in Germany where the device now already is for 1 1/2 month with a totally inadequate line of communication. I have no idea if they can fix it and when i can expect a working device back in my studio.

So better stay away from this terrible product on the second hand market.
Sound Service...what can I say? Horrible experience here too.

In the end I got away by bypassing Sound Service and speaking with Apogee USA who handled the issue directly, although the whole thing took 3 months to be solved since the unit had to be shipped to the US and back after a solid month and half in the (useless) hands of Sound Service.

Thumbs up to Apogee USA and thumbs down to Sound Service...Apogee really needs to find an alternative for EU market.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Bummer, works great here and I'm not even using it on an actual Mac. Original Symphony 16x16 is second hand. The PCIe card is second hand. Even the cable that connects them is second hand.

Prior to the power issue - oof - what problems were you having? Never heard of Sound Service but have you spoken with Apogee directly? They've always been very responsive to any questions I've had, unlike a few other "high end" manufacturers I've dealt with.
Other problem included the infamous "airplane lifting off" noise from the fans.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupez View Post
Sound Service...what can I say? Horrible experience here too.

In the end I got away by bypassing Sound Service and speaking with Apogee USA who handled the issue directly, although the whole thing took 3 months to be solved since the unit had to be shipped to the US and back after a solid month and half in the (useless) hands of Sound Service.

Thumbs up to Apogee USA and thumbs down to Sound Service...Apogee really needs to find an alternative for EU market.
Thank your for the head up and to hear that I am not alone with this unacceptable behavior from the local 'repair' service!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVi View Post
Other problem included the infamous "airplane lifting off" noise from the fans.
A replacement (quieter) fan is cheap and solves this. I've switched them out in my 2 units - one of them having the 16 in + 16 out modules which runs really hot. It was quite unbearable with the stock fans.

https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/978-9S0612F401

This comes without a molex connection but it's easy enough to make one up.

FWIW to you, I've always found Apogee support to be excellent. Super responsive and thorough. Let them know if you have a problem if you haven't done that already.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
You should not have a single problem slaving the Apogee to external clock. I do it on my mk1 all the time (teathered with Symphony 64 pcie)
Curious to know what you're using and what gains you're seeing over using the Mk 1's internal clock. Thanks.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Successfully installed the old Symphony 64 PCIe card in my rig - a Hackintosh, no less - and everything is butter smooth. It's now clocked directly via the Dangerous AD+ and my Logic session latency is down to the lowest 32 samples setting and does not flinch even on heavy projects. Very pleased as this is the kind of rig that I can continue to update for years to come as necessary while keeping the Symphony locked without issue.
This is exactly the reason why I want to do this setup - I have a AD+ just waiting.......
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORyan87 View Post
For those using Thunderbridge, were you able to connect or output to display by chaining through the unit?
I connected an Apple 23” Cinema Display via a T-bolt to HDMI cable to the 2nd T-bolt port on the Thunderbridge right when I got the unit years ago. It worked fine for browsing, but if I played a video the computer would freeze.

This may have been fixed, I haven’t tried it since.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I connected an Apple 23” Cinema Display via a T-bolt to HDMI cable to the 2nd T-bolt port on the Thunderbridge right when I got the unit years ago. It worked fine for browsing, but if I played a video the computer would freeze.

This may have been fixed, I haven’t tried it since.
Thanks for chiming in Jeff, was it videos on via browser (Youtube,vimeo,etc) or something like quicktime or VLC?
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristofer Harris View Post
Curious to know what you're using and what gains you're seeing over using the Mk 1's internal clock. Thanks.
The Symphony takes on a different sound, image with some external clocks, or Stand alone AD boxes. It’s all just preference. Short answer; it depends what capacity the External AD box is used for. Sometimes, I want the external unit to be the master.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search