The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
tonelux equalux buzzing on channel 2 Equalisers (HW)
Old 2nd August 2010
Gear Head

tonelux equalux buzzing on channel 2

hi there
bought a tonelux equalux a week ago, all seemed well untill i stacked up a few tracks run thru it and noticed the r2nd channel has a loud buzz, cranking up the signal reveals the buzz is huge on the 2nd channel and barely there on the 1st, please help
Old 2nd August 2010
Gear Nut

Mine was doing that too until I switched the grounding on my patchbay. That seemed to clear it up entirely.
Old 2nd August 2010
Gear Head

hmmm im not using a patch bay, is there another way to switch grounding on someother gear? just going from audio interface to eq then to mixer then back to interface, all of them are on the same powerboard
Old 2nd August 2010
Gear Nut

I would contact Paul at tonelux and see what he says. Their customer service is great.
Old 2nd August 2010
Gear Head

sorry if this is a dumb question but how do i get in touch with paul? i cant find an email for him on their website.
Old 2nd August 2010
I'm always baffled as to why people do this on gearslutz instead of contacting the factory for a solution.

The problem is the toroid transformer, which has a figure 8 hum field, with 2 null spots, one at the point where the wires enter the core and the other, slightly better, 180 degrees from the wires. The first few Equalux units were not nulled out, a process where you listen to the channel with no audio and rotate the transformer until the hum goes away.

It is a lot worse with 50 Hz, as the transformer puts out 5 times the hum field. We test for 240 volts, but don't have 50 Hz, so some of those missed the final adjustments.

If you are a tech, you can do this yourself, if not, send it to me or to your dealer. Have your tech or yourself contact me directly.

Paul

And for all, do everyone a favor and contact you manufacturer first, then if you don't get results, go public...
Old 2nd August 2010
Gear Head

thanks for the reply paul, sorry for putting this on the forum but this seems to be the done thing here and also the quickest way to get technical support in australia, also thought it may have been an over sight somewhere on my part (ground hum or something) but i was most upset to find a couple of days into using the product there is unevven noise and i now have to go back and use plugins to remove the noise from my session.
thanks for everyones replys
Old 2nd August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trunk79 View Post
thanks for the reply paul, sorry for putting this on the forum but this seems to be the done thing here and also the quickest way to get technical support in australia, also thought it may have been an over sight somewhere on my part (ground hum or something) but i was most upset to find a couple of days into using the product there is unevven noise and i now have to go back and use plugins to remove the noise from my session.
thanks for everyones replys
It's really none of my business, but since the issue was made public, here's what I think:

When addressed publicly, although manufacturers do not like it at all, usually gets quicker results, and sometimes other Slutz may have had the same problem and can inform you....

Nothing wrong with that IMO... and it's good to have these issues out in the public (for everyone, except the manufacturer), so that we consumers have a little bit of a knowledge/research base from which to learn about future and current products we have.

Bummer you have the issue, especially if your not a tech, considering your location. And don't be sorry, if anything, this is the manufacturer's fault......

By the way, I love Tonelux. Definitely one of the more innovative companies to come out in a while.
Old 2nd August 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss View Post
It's really none of my business, but since the issue was made public, here's what I think:

When addressed publicly, although manufacturers do not like it at all, usually gets quicker results, and sometimes other Slutz may have had the same problem and can inform you....

Nothing wrong with that IMO... and it's good to have these issues out in the public (for everyone, except the manufacturer), so that we consumers have a little bit of a knowledge/research base from which to learn about future and current products we have.

Bummer you have the issue, especially if your not a tech, considering your location. And don't be sorry, if anything, this is the manufacturer's fault......

By the way, I love Tonelux. Definitely one of the more innovative companies to come out in a while.
Yes it is your business just as much as anyone else on this forum.

I couldn't agree more with your point of view.

Right on the money are far as I'm concerned.
Old 3rd August 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upfront2K View Post
Yes it is your business just as much as anyone else on this forum.

I couldn't agree more with your point of view.

Right on the money are far as I'm concerned.

My point was that it baffles me when it's in this order. It would make more sense to find the solution, then post the results for anyone else that may be having it. That helps everyone.

If the company doesn't respond, then take them to task.
Old 3rd August 2010
Gear Head

without wanting to stir the pot, i called my dealer 1st, he was busy and took 2hrs to get back to me with instructions to check for ground loop problems which i did thorughly, at the same time i emailed pmiaudio(the only email i could find on the tonelux site) , after i had checked everything in the studio for problems that could be causing this lopsided buzz i put a post on gearslutz and recived a reply from someone with some ideas within 1hr, i did not in anyway bag your company paul i was just trying to get help fixing the problem. it took 15hrs for a reply(im in australia so i understand there is a big time difference) alan has been very helpful and i will wait for him to reply to my questions.
On the other side of the world it can be hard to get tech support when we need it thats why the forums are so helpful. i also have to travel for 4hrs to get to the closest proper music shop. (the kangaroos we use for transport arent as fast as they look)
thanks everyone
Old 28th January 2015
Here for the gear

I just wanted to thank trunk79 for creating this thread and Paul for responding. I purchased a second hand Equalux this week. Serial#23-01005. I was having the exact same issue. Joe from PMI was out of the office today and after a quick search I found this thread. I opened the unit, rotated the toroid transformer, and voila! The buzzing was gone. A simple solution. Now I can get back to using this amazing EQ!

Best regards,

Chris
Old 28th January 2015
Lives for gear

Hi
With 'off the shelf' gear, bought from a dealer, your contract is with the dealer so you should call them FIRST. If you get no response from them (by TELEPHONE) then call the manufacturer. With custom / unusual gear contact the manufacturer who will (or should) know all about the gear and depending whether they chose to disclose what may be 'awry' can go for an immediate swap or sort out in as amicable way as possible.
This is supposedly the 'High end' so people should be reacting in a professional manner and on the basis it is interfering with business the fastest way to get it resolved should be sought.
It appears Paul has done what any good manufacturer should and replied with details of a resolution to the problem which fortunately it seems in this case is an easy mechanical adjustment.
In a former life I proposed putting up FAQs on the company website (which over 20 years ago was relatively new at the time) to enable the 'sometimes overlooked' issues to be resolved at any time of day.
I am not referring to anyone on this thread but as an observation, gear is getting more complicated and there are many purchasers who are not willing to read and understand manuals (and the implications of some actions) who then moan about their gear.
Matt S
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search