The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Coles 4040 Ribbon Microphones
Old 26th July 2010
Lives for gear

Coles 4040

HI chaps
Just starting a 4 hour session to record some acoustic baritone uitar and im using the Coles 4040 and a Manley VOx Box, we are just getting tone while the Player works out his part.
and so far, it sounds HUGE, warm and very woody,
ill update as this session progress es
Old 26th July 2010
Lives for gear

Great

Really enjoying this mic , warm, big, in yer face , but smooth as a cadilac salesman on a slow month.

and the vox box , im asking about keys of songs, and moving the eq s about to suit the key of the song. and getting nice warm results, big yet not jarring , and really underpinning the guitar parts we laid in last week
steve
Old 26th July 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Honest View Post
Really enjoying this mic , warm, big, in yer face , but smooth as a cadilac salesman on a slow month.

and the vox box , im asking about keys of songs, and moving the eq s about to suit the key of the song. and getting nice warm results, big yet not jarring , and really underpinning the guitar parts we laid in last week
steve
Love the 4040 to death.

Best of luck finding out just how @#$%^&^%$## awesome it is everywhere.
Old 26th July 2010
Lives for gear

YEAhhh

yes sir
we just re-tracked a standard acoustic, and it still sounded lovely , big and warm, lots of detail, and kik arse low end,
i tryng to convince my client to re sing a guide vocal thru it to ight so i can hear it on his voice , cos weds session is tracking bass thru either the Reddi or the VOx box
steve
Old 26th July 2010
Lives for gear

in fact

i cant wait to hear the coles thru my neves, im part moved to the new location , i just kept back a few bits for this clients 2 sessions,
but when im reassembled its coles thru everything time.
steve
Old 27th July 2010
Lives for gear

Don't want to hijack, but does anyone know if the Coles stereo version of the 4040, the 4050, is still being made, and how sonically close it is to the 4040?
Old 27th July 2010
Old 27th July 2010
Lives for gear

Good session

So this was my first session with the Coles 4040 and i really liked it. I was dying to use it since they both arrived last week , but with the studio build and all , there wasnt an opportunity till last night, and to record a Bari Guitar,Perfect first outing.
Client Loved it, even over the C12vr we had been using on the other guitars, and we started out tracking for this record before his trip , back in February on an MXL v6,
im hoping when this customer comes back on weds, we can redo a guide vocal using the COles and the Vox Box.
We both Liked the Big warm and smooth low end , and not needing a gret deal of help from the Manley. just popped the headphones on and moved the mic around the guitar till we found that sweet spot we both liked. nice and simple.
Steve
Old 27th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelPatrick View Post
Don't want to hijack, but does anyone know if the Coles stereo version of the 4040, the 4050, is still being made....
Still being made? As far as I know, it just has been released!
Old 27th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornblower64 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
Still being made? As far as I know, it just has been released!
It wasn't on their website so I thought it was aborted.

I called Coles this morning in Hertfordshire, UK and the man confirmed what you are saying. Since the head basket is unique, I also asked about similarity to the 4040. He said they're sonically identical.
Old 27th July 2010
Quote:
Don't want to hijack, but does anyone know if the Coles stereo version of the 4040, the 4050, is still being made, and how sonically close it is to the 4040?
They just put this microphone into production very recently and it is a newly designed product.

Currently - the 4050 is rolling off the production line - and sounding beautifully similar if not the same exact thing as a 4040 [times x2].

The 4050's elements are derived from the drawings of the 4040, but they have a simpler body type and head grill comparatively.

Certainly there may be subjective difference between them, however it is highly subjective and small.

Perhaps the difference is more in use, [mounting stereo 4040's like this is a very tricky feet] as the 4050 makes your life way easier in the scheme of using different stereo technique and placements of all kinds.

I actually think the 4050 has better HF lift and dimension, though its only a fine c-hair of difference. Its probably because there is less material in the head grill.
Old 2nd February 2017
Quote:

Nowhere have I ever been able to find a frequency chart for the 4040.
Old 2nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Poulton View Post
Nowhere have I ever been able to find a frequency chart for the 4040.
Scott Dorsey wrote a review of the 4040 in Recording Magazine a few years ago now. It might have some more info.
Old 2nd February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
Scott Dorsey wrote a review of the 4040 in Recording Magazine a few years ago now. It might have some more info.
Thanks David, I'll look that up, there may even be a graph and cosine pattern. There used to be a frequency plot available for the 4040 I seem to recall, but that was quite some time ago.

Last edited by Geoff Poulton; 3rd February 2017 at 02:52 PM..
Old 13th February 2017
For those who are interested in the Coles 4040, this is the frequency curve.

On paper, the 4050 has more high frequency extension, but Coles say they are sonically the same.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Coles 4040 frequency curve.pdf (454.7 KB, 79 views)
Old 13th February 2017
The frequency plot of the Coles 4050 is attached here.
Attached Thumbnails
Coles 4040-coles-4050-ribbon-frequncy.jpg  
Old 13th February 2017
Quote:
but Coles say they are sonically the same.
I would say they do sound "similar", although as you point out the 4040 has more top end, which I think equates to more "air" and detail, when compared. They both do the "velvet sweetness" thing...
Old 13th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
I would say they do sound "similar", although as you point out the 4040 has more top end, which I think equates to more "air" and detail, when compared. They both do the "velvet sweetness" thing...
Ah! Doc, it's the Coles 4050 which appears to have more top end, not the 4040. Having said that, I have seen two frequency graphs for the 4040, an early one that showed a rise as it went "through" 20kHz, but the graph shown hear for the 4040 is from a Bruel & Kjaer measurement, which we should take as the actual frequency response.
Old 13th February 2017
Quote:
Ah! Doc, it's the Coles 4050 which appears to have more top end, not the 4040. Having said that, I have seen two frequency graphs for the 4040, an early one that showed a rise as it went "through" 20kHz, but the graph shown hear for the 4040 is from a Bruel & Kjaer measurement, which we should take as the actual frequency response.
oh, gotcha! my bad…reading comprehension down in the dumps today due to bad weather distractions,
anyway, yea the Coles 4050 is the identical design to the 4040, except for the Head-Grill Shape and Inner Mesh. I think the 4050 mic[s] sound a little less woolly and more clear. Just ever so slightly though…That "wool" on the 4040 is INSANE. I want to put one next to my 44 and smile
Old 13th February 2017
Lives for gear

I alerted Coles to the error on their website for the 4040 spec document. They sent me the attached. It is different to the plot Geoff posted.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 4040 specification.pdf (1.24 MB, 68 views)
Old 14th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
I alerted Coles to the error on their website for the 4040 spec document. They sent me the attached. It is different to the plot Geoff posted.
Hi David,

I spoke to them on the phone about a year ago, and emailed a couple of times, and told them about the graph and information they had on their website at that time, which is what you've listed, they sent me the one that I attached above. I only realised lately that I had kept a copy of it.
I found it confusing as there were three different frequency graphs floating about.

On the information sent to you, they even have the wrong spec up at 30Hz to 15kHz - that graph and information is for some other mic, which one I don't know. The 4040 is 30Hz to 20kHz. It's very confusing when there is contradictory information for one microphone.

There is an earlier graph for the 4040 which shows yet another curve. I think the one I've posted above is the right one, as it shows the 4040 name on the Bruel & Kjaer measurement.

Below is the initial graph that was issued when the mic was first released, but this leaflet is no longer available, as far as I'm aware it has passed into the sands of time.

The gentleman who dealt with the microphone side of things died over a year ago I believe, and I don't think they have caught up with the changes needed to correct the website side of things. His father is still running the firm I think. A difficult and soul destroying situation for his father, it's the wrong order of things when children die before their parents. I think I'm right in saying (but I'm reading between the lines) that it was the son who designed the 4040 and 4050 - I may be wrong, but I think I'm right.

I also think it's one of the reasons we see so little about the Coles 4050. I'd be interested in knowing what their sales rep. says about it. If there is one, I hope he reads this forum and spots the errors.

There's not a doubt about it, the 4040 and 4050 are beautiful microphones, and I believe were the first to have an extended high frequency. It's just the paperwork and website that are adrift.
Attached Thumbnails
Coles 4040-coles_4040_brochure.jpg  

Last edited by Geoff Poulton; 16th February 2017 at 09:23 AM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search