The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Clinton Recording studio is closed? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 20th July 2010
Clinton Recording studio is closed?

http://www.clintonrecording.com/
Old 20th July 2010
Lives for gear
I remember reading somewhere not too long ago they were moving.

Sure doesn't look that way.....
Old 20th July 2010
Lives for gear

it just keeps going.
thank god that walter sear set up sear sound like a self contained foundation
in his will. it will most likely survive
Old 20th July 2010
I guess the question is what will happen to the location?

Will it be demolished or turned into something else(parking garage maybe)?
Old 20th July 2010
Lives for gear
that main room looks incredible
Old 20th July 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertshaw View Post
that main room looks incredible
it was, Ed Rak sold the building and is considering a new location, we'll see
Old 20th July 2010
Lives for gear

**** buzz.

damn shame.
Old 20th July 2010
Lives for gear

That is really sad. I have fond memories of tracking there with the Boys Choir of Harlem.
Old 21st July 2010
Gear Nut

At first, I thought it was sad they closed, just assuming how dismal the economy is, but as Lou said above, it actually seems to be their decision - centered on the sale of the actual building. Here is a link to an article in ProSoundNews to this effect. (maybe the one Steffmo was recalling). Sounds like a plan to get more liquid and retool, nothing wrong with that.

Clinton Recording Closes--For Now

Last edited by Gobo Diddly; 21st July 2010 at 05:41 AM.. Reason: grammar
Old 21st July 2010
Lives for gear
Bull****.

Take a look at the sell list - They are hardly selling off everything as if they are closing for good.

Heck, the 9 foot piano is not even for sale.

Looks like downsizing to me and that is not a bad idea.
Old 21st July 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by piano View Post
Bull****.

Heck, the 9 foot piano is not even for sale.
What? Clinton's older 'second hand' piano as played by a young guy name Bill-something to go from D-7 to Eb-7 and back, and then a legit cat, Glenn-something... to record Bach on it.

Don't think the piano, nor the mics used on those sessions, which Clinton also owns, will be divested anytime soon.

The question is where Clinton is moving to and when.
Old 21st July 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobo Diddly View Post
At first, I thought it was sad they closed, just assuming how dismal the economy is, but as Lou said above, it actually seems to be their decision - centered on the sale of the actual building. Here is a link to an article in ProSoundNews to this effect. (maybe the one Steffmo was recalling). Sounds like a plan to get more liquid and retool, nothing wrong with that.

Clinton Recording Closes--For Now
Yeah...that was the article.

I think the real question is who will be that last man standing in Manhatten. Avatar, Sear....

Some mix rooms or studios that don't have large acoustic spaces...rap and R and B joints maybe will hang. But the simple fact is that at the price of that kind of real estate in Manhatten no real studios will exist. I don't know that it is a big deal, there are plenty of great spots in Brooklyn and Queens, even the Bronx that could house the next NYC spot. Hell, the musicians can't afford to live in Manhatten, why put the studios there.

I can't even begin to wrap my head around the numbers it takes to run a place like Clinton in todays NYC. Staff, insurance, maintanence, utilities. And even if you own the space you have to be able to justify the use of that space for a studios kind of return. And I can't imagine that that can be done.
Old 21st July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
it was, Ed Rak sold the building and is considering a new location, we'll see

with the real state value these day in NYC, he must laugh all the way to the
bank..........
Old 21st July 2010
not as much as he would have made in 2005.
Old 30th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
not as much as he would have made in 2005.
Ed sold the building a few years ago and has been renting it back. I heard the figure he got and it was big. Lots of zeros.

Also, none of the classic tube or ribbon mics are on the for sale list. Neither are the pianos or organ. Ed also has two Neve 8078 desks that were custom built in the early 80s after the 8078 production had ceased.
Old 30th July 2010
Gear Addict

One of the Neve 8078 is for sale on the Vintage King web site.
Old 30th July 2010
my former intern was working there before it closed. Hopefully Ed will be keeping one 8078 and re-open somewhere
Old 29th April 2015
Gear Nut
Does anybody know if the old Clinton Recording studio is still open, under a new name perhaps?
Old 29th April 2015
Lives for gear

Not as far as I know
Old 30th April 2015
Gear Addict

Building was torn down and condos put in it's place. The 8078 from Studio A is the console in Studio A at Electric Lady. Roger still maintains it.
Old 1st May 2015
Lives for gear

.......sad

it's SO hard to find studio space in new york city. I've been looking for a suitable medium sized/project studio location for years with no luck. I can only imagine with the way the real estate is setup + state of industry, how hard it is for bigger places to stay afloat or even open up. Thank god for the few large or professional quality studio like avatar, el, germano, etc. etc.

hopefully these "made in ny" sort of programs at some point could help to a degree but we'll see what happens :((((
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search