The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best cables to use for short run spdif & balanced TRS? Mogami? Gotham? Quad? AES/EBU? Desktop Synthesizers
Old 18th July 2010
Lives for gear

Best cables to use for short run spdif & balanced TRS? Mogami? Gotham? Quad? AES/EBU?

I'm making an order from Redco this week and I've done lots of reading but still not sure what is best for my needs. I know the shorter the run the less diff it will probably make but I have the option to do it right so may as well pick the best out of them and be done with it.

I need:

1 x 5 foot SPDIF Cable (to go from audio interface to DA converter)
-Gotham GAC-1 SPDIF?
-Mogami 2964 75 ohm?
-Mogami 3080 AES/EBU 110 ohm?
-Gotham GAC-2AES 110ohm?

6 x 18" Balanced TRS cables (for patching between balanced outs)
-Gotham GAC-3?
-Mogami 2549?
-Quad cable like the GAC-4?
-AES/EBU cable like the Gotham GAC-2AES Digital Cable?

so many options! 70 ohm, 110 ohm, quad cable, AES/EBU...

since they're short runs price is no issue since the difference doesn't end up being that big between the different options so I'm really just looking for the best cables for this.

I've been considering Gotham GAC-1SPDIF for the spdif and either GAC-3 or Mogami 2549 for the balanced cables. But I also read about the possibility of using quad cable or AES/EBU

Thanks!
Old 19th July 2010
Gear Addict

Call them up and tell them what gear you're connecting. They'll give you honest advice.

I bought some 3ft. Mogami SPDIF 75ohm cables from them and they work perfect. Actually, I buy all my cables from them... Mogami Quad usually.

Redco thumbsup

-Bruno
Old 19th July 2010
Lives for gear

If it's truly an SP/DIF connection, then it's single-ended, whereas some of the cables you've listed are for balanced signals. If it's actually an AES/EBU connection then one of the 110 ohm cables is ideal, although at 5ft it won't matter much.

-synthoid
Old 19th July 2010
Lives for gear

If I were you I'd be using SPDIF cable for SPDIF and AES/EBU cable for line level audio connections (110 ohm is over-spec for audio, so it works as well or better than 'regular' balanced audio cable). thumbsup
Old 19th July 2010
mfischman3
No need and probably best not to get involved with quad cabling at 18" runs. The 3080 and 2964 will work perfectly for AES and S/PDIF respectively.
Old 19th July 2010
Lives for gear

I'm not actually running anything with AES, I just heard it makes better cable for spdif interconnects but maybe that was just for balanced audio.. but haven't verified it.

specifically I'm looking for:

1 x 5' long SPDIF [spdif out from audio interface to DA]
4 x 18" long balanced XLR interconnects [patching my rack]
4 x 4' long balanced XLR interconnects [patching my virus Ti, DA to monitors]

I know quad cable is great for long runs, but isn't it also more transparent than say 2549 at 2-4ft lengths? Mogami uses quad cable in their gold series interconnects and I've noticed other companies doing the same. I'm leaning towards either the GAC-4/1 or the Mogami 2534 quad cable for the balanced cables. I'd think the quad cable would at least be the best choice for the 4' runs to my monitors no?

Then for the rack patching I guess it's between the quad cable, 2549, or GAC-2AES.
although I'm starting to think maybe the GAC-2AES would be best for the balanced interconnects and skeptical of the quad.
Old 19th July 2010
Lives for gear

Yeah, call up Chris Stubbs and lay it all out for him. I've found him very helpful—and an upstanding dude—over the years.

Be aware that he may tell you that the more inexpensive option is just fine for what you're planning!
Old 19th July 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus77 View Post
Yeah, call up Chris Stubbs and lay it all out for him. I've found him very helpful—and an upstanding dude—over the years.

Be aware that he may tell you that the more inexpensive option is just fine for what you're planning!
[email protected]#$%^&-ONE Daedalus77

This is what happens I email Chris

Adam -

Chris I need a part # and price for ___________?

Thanks

Chris -

Adam, STFU, why do you email me every 5 seconds for the same Sh$t? Don't you put the quotes I give you in a folder so you have them? Dumb ass.

Call REDCO - they'll sort you out with the patience of a saint.
Old 23rd July 2010
Lives for gear

did lots of research and the best option seemed to be fueling my virus, moog & monitors with pristine Gotham GAC-2AES... then GAC-1SPDIF from my interface to AD. Should be mint! Now I can forget about the wide mystical world of cables and get back to
Old 21st April 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nms View Post
did lots of research and the best option seemed to be fueling my virus, moog & monitors with pristine Gotham GAC-2AES... then GAC-1SPDIF from my interface to AD. Should be mint! Now I can forget about the wide mystical world of cables and get back to
Hi, just wondering, did you use Gotham GAC-2AES for balanced line level? If so, why? I was considering Gotham GAC-3 with the destination end of the shield left ungrounded...(apparently this is the best way to use it for line, and also would be handy if I want to convert it to a mic cable, just one solder joint)...

Last edited by Son of Gafraidh; 27th April 2015 at 01:27 PM..
Old 7th May 2015
Gear Head

Can you use Mogami 2534 for AES

Hi Folks,

I'm looking at connecting back to my Linx AES16e from my Lavry Blue.

My current cables are Mogami 2534, I was wondering if these can faithfully transport audio (AES) at 1m lengths.

I don't have my Lavry unit yet but I just wanted to be sure so that I can order cables before it arrived tomorrow.

Regards
PrichA
Old 7th May 2015
Lives for gear

It might work. But better just to get the right cables from the start. One less thing to worry about. Why not just use the lynx cables?
Old 28th May 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc View Post
It might work. But better just to get the right cables from the start. One less thing to worry about. Why not just use the lynx cables?
Yeah, using the lynx cables. I forget sometimes.

Thanks. Working well. Lavry Blue sound great.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search