The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Has anyone tried DPA 4099G on guitar ? Condenser Microphones
Old 8th July 2010
Lives for gear

Has anyone tried DPA 4099G on guitar ?

I'm the lucky owner of a brand new (!) Gibson L-00 from 1929-32. Piezos and pickups are not an option in my book.

I DID use the search engine prior to posting, no related thread or post ere. Has anyone used DPA 4099 on ac. guitar, and possibly could report about it ?

Also : I remember sE electronics did have a similar product. I've had pleasant surprises with sE products in the past, however it's pretty blatant that it would be competing in a different league than DPA... The sE seems to be discontinued, anybody got any info?

Thanks !
Old 9th August 2011
Lives for gear

I did and it is absolutely fantastic
Old 10th August 2011
Lives for gear

it works reasonably well. I like the 4061 with a tie clip strategically positioned near-ish the soundhole much better.

N
Old 10th August 2011
Lives for gear

The 4099 is a great mic, but IMO, it is much better suited as a live mic. If you want something that would be better in the studio and you happen to like the DPA sound, I'd seriously look at the cardiod 2000 series mic. Same capsule, new housing and the electronics of their high-end mics. best of both worlds there (and it is relatively inexpensive- I believe under $1000). Not sure if they have started widespread distrobution, but if they haven't, it is definitely worth the wait.

--Ben
Old 10th August 2011
Lives for gear

I own one, and I love it, but it mainly shines as a performance mic. It will work fine as a recording mic, but you can probably do better for comparable money if you plan to only record and not perform in public.

On the performance side, be aware that cable management is something to plan for, as is the need for phantom power. There is a very thin cable that runs from the mic to an XLR adaptor, and it is too long. You need to plan for how to bunch up the tiny cable, and where the XLR adaptor is going to live (your guitar strap, your pocket, your belt, etc.). Also, if you are one of those folks who are rough with the equipment on stage, keep in mind that everything about this mic is a bit delicate. The cable is thin, and the clamp that holds the mic to the guitar is not the Rock of Gibraltar (adequate for the task, though). If you need to be rough and tumble, you might want to go with something internal to the guitar.

Another suggestion: I've been thinking about getting one of those very small 2 channel Mackie mixers and using it as my phantom power source, as well as a signal feed for a stomp box guitar tuner. From the Mackie, I could send the signal to any type of sound reinforcement system. Just an idea at this point. I think it will make this mic easier to use with modest (as well as nicer) systems.
Old 11th August 2011
Lives for gear

If you use a Mackie mixer, make sure to also get some sort of ground isolation from the rest of the system. Cheap mixers are in my experiences the easiest way to develop a ground hum in your sound. There are plenty of ways to do this from DI boxes on the 1/4" outputs to IL-19 isolation transformers (or simialr products).

--Ben
Old 11th August 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks, Ben. Good advice. If I go down that road, I will want to pack a survival kit of things potentially needed to make the Mackie play nice with what it is feeding the signal to.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search