The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ever see a really old AKG C414?
Old 5th January 2015
Lives for gear

I have nothing much to add to this post. C414 (comb) just arrived to my studio so it was hard to resist taking a snap of it.

But first (of course) I tried to speak in both EB and COMB (or is it COMB when there is just C414 written on the body?).
They are quite similar in basic character and output volume. Though EB is perhaps 1-2dB less loud. EB is also cleaner sounding, COMB reminds me more of C24 with fatter tone and darker top (compared to EB). The low end is as extended as on EBs (as far as I can tell from this quick test), C24 is rolled off.
In a way the difference is almost like tube vs transistor. If someone told me the samples are comparison between C414EB and C12B, I wouldn't have hard time believing it. It isn't just the spectrum, it just feels a bit slower on transients.
Despite it's not a big difference, it's a step into a vibe(y) category. All the EBs are great workhorses, this one somewhat a character piece. Will see... first impressions... time will tell.

(I'm well aware all the CK12s are sounding different so maybe what I'm hearing doesn't have to be the difference between C414 models, more of the capsules. I'm also comparing it only to my mics, so it doesn't have to apply to what other people have in their mic lockers.)
Attached Thumbnails
Ever see a really old AKG C414?-c414eb_c414comb.jpg  
Old 5th January 2015
Gear Guru

I had a C414eb with a CK12 for many years. Wonderful microphone!
Old 24th November 2018
Here for the gear
Another resurrection (sorry)!

Has anyone got a swivel mount for a C12A or know where I could get the part the cables solder too???? Have one that's fallen apart and the pins that hold the body together no longer have anything to lock into

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search