The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
I thinking about a Hammer. What do you think?
Old 7th July 2010
Lives for gear

I thinking about a Hammer. What do you think?

Hey guys,
I am slowly picking up a bunch of new gear. The next piece of gear on my list is an EQ that will be used in my vocal chain and also compliment some instrument tracking. I will be using it with a Great River ME-1NV, Grace 101, older UA Racked M-610 and Apogee Ensemble preamps.

I have read a lot of reviews on The Hammer and was wondering if I could get some feedback on your experiances using it with any of the preamps I have.

I am also in the market for a compressor that will be used for mainly for vocal tracking. If you have some suggestions, let me know. I can swing about another $2k for the compressor.

Thanks!
Old 7th July 2010
Lives for gear

Hammer? Great car, but abit wasteful on petrol.
The comp is not too bad though.
Old 7th July 2010
ark
Lives for gear

Aren't you worried that if you buy one, the whole world will start to look like a nail?
Old 7th July 2010
Lives for gear

As an owner of two Hammers, putting a Hammer in the chain is like night and day on your mixes.
The sonics of anything that you run through them, will improve instantly.
Old 7th July 2010
Lives for gear

Aren't you worried that if you buy one, the whole world will start to look like a nail?

Okey-dokey. Not exactly the answer I was looking for, but I will play.

When my wife finds out how much it cost she will use it as a hammer..On my head.

Now back to our regualr scheduled programming........
Old 7th July 2010
Gear Maniac

I have a Hammer, love it. Great sonic tool on vocals, superb on 2 buss. As I've said before, +2 to 4db at 10K is like magic....opens your whole mix up.
Old 7th July 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks Tony!

Any thoughts on a compressor that would compliment it? The comp is only for the vocal chain.
Old 7th July 2010
Lives for gear

What style of music do you do?
Do you want a in your face kind of sound?
Old 7th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dft3670 View Post
. I will be using it with a Great River ME-1NV, Grace 101, older UA Racked M-610 and Apogee Ensemble preamps.

I have read a lot of reviews on The Hammer and was wondering if I could get some feedback on your experiances using it with any of the preamps I have.
I have never tracked with it through those particular combos, but I mix tons of records for other people, so I use it on stuff track through all sorts of mic pres, and I have yet to find a bad combo.

The important thing to keep in mind is that the Hammer is not a Jack of All trades, if you want something for super surgical EQ, you would be hard pressed to find a worse option. But if you want something that will do that Hammer thing (opening up a mix, pushing things forward in a very pleasing way, gentle scooping out trouble spots, the Hammer is stunning.
Old 7th July 2010
Lives for gear

Mostly light rock. I produce/record/co-write with a lot of singer/songwritters. Some rockish style childrens music albums.
Old 7th July 2010
Lives for gear

I use it for instruments and vocals while tracking and mixing all the time. It's VERY good and opening up the top end of anything, really, but it shines on vocals, acoustic and 2bus IMO.

You really can't go wrong with it if your looking to do broad sweeps or cuts. One of the best out there.
Old 7th July 2010

Quote:
Hey guys,
I am slowly picking up a bunch of new gear. The next piece of gear on my list is an EQ that will be used in my vocal chain and also compliment some instrument tracking. I will be using it with a Great River ME-1NV, Grace 101, older UA Racked M-610 and Apogee Ensemble preamps.

I am also in the market for a compressor that will be used for mainly for vocal tracking. If you have some suggestions, let me know. I can swing about another $2k for the compressor.

Thanks!
Based on your questions, the only thing I can think is to ask you a question... What other EQ's do you own? The fact that no one else has inquired about what other EQ's you have is concerning.

I think this would be far more important to know than what preamps you own.

Considering, Ronan says "the Hammer is not a Jack of All trades" (and I'll defer to him on this one) two posts up... you might also want to consider something a little more versatile if this will be your only outboard EQ.
Old 7th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Mostly light rock. I produce/record/co-write with a lot of singer/songwritters. Some rockish style childrens music albums.
I keep the Hammer on the mix bus. No other EQ has been able to satisfy my needs like a Hammer. Another EQ is the EM-PEQ which also sounds amazing. You can also use these to track with and when you're ready to mix, patch them on your mix bus.

...and while we're at it, if you're looking for a compressor, I would look at the Nail. Vocal, Bass, El. and Ac. Guitar, Percussion, Mix Bus, everything sounds great through it.
Old 7th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
The fact that no one else has inquired about what other EQ's you have is concerning.
Why would this concern you? He asked specifically about peoples experience with one particular EQ and we shared our experiences and opinions. He did not ask which EQ he should buy.
Old 7th July 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCM - Ronan View Post
He did not ask which EQ he should buy.
Of course he did. Read his first post again.
Old 7th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Of course he did. Read his first post again.
Which part? I seem to have missed it.
Old 7th July 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCM - Ronan View Post
Which part? I seem to have missed it.
I'm not sure how you could miss it. He is in the market for an EQ and compressor.... primarily for his vocal chain and also some instrument tracking.

He asked for feedback on experiences using it with any of the preamps he has (which no one gave). He also asked for some "suggestions". He lists all of his preamps he wants to use it with, but he didn't list his other gear... So, the first logical question should be what EQ's do you have, and how will this fit.

Now, how could you come to any conclusion other than that he is interested in buying an EQ and wanting to know if this is the right one for him?

I don't get where you are coming from on this one, Ronan. It seemed pretty straightforward when I read it.
Old 7th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Of course he did. (ask what EQ to buy) Read his first post again.
Um...... the original poster said

"I have read a lot of reviews on The Hammer and was wondering if I could get some feedback on your experiances using it with any of the preamps I have."

What part of that request is, as you say - asking what EQ should he buy?

Old 7th July 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy View Post
Um...... the original poster said

"I have read a lot of reviews on The Hammer and was wondering if I could get some feedback on your experiances using it with any of the preamps I have."

What part of that request is, as you say - asking what EQ should he buy?

And not one person so far has answered that question.

Anyway, I'm out. People are seemingly preferring to be argumentative, rather than helpful. So, I'm not sure I can help from this point on.

Maybe dft3670 can come back and clarify what seemed obvious to me for other future posters.
Old 7th July 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
I have the Hammer. It'll work fine with your preamps - i might be misunderstanding what you're asking. Are you worried about some sort of mismatch or wondering if it'll be more complimentary with some than others? I wouldn't worry about either...but i'm far from oracle status so perhaps ignore all that.

I use it for tracking. You can of course run the two channels in series to expand your options...but as has been noted, it's not surgical.

Not surprisingly, the best advice is to try and demo it or at least find a vendor with a generous return policy. I like the thing...but I'll admit my inexperience inflated my expectations and extrapolated far too much from reviews.

As for which compressors to check out for around $2k...and again I think you asked what would be "complimentary"...I'd put less energy into that concept and wonder more about what you want from a compressor - transparent dynamic control? Something to reshape/crush? Just catch peaks?
Old 7th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri Kogan View Post
Yes it's nice... I sold off the H3 though..... and got a Hummer bike -- way better mileage! heh
Old 7th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri Kogan View Post
He didn't mean the car!!

Old 7th July 2010
Lives for gear

Sorry if I was not clear in my initial post.

The EQ is for general smoothing. I do most of the surgical stuff ITB whle mixing, when the freqencies start to rub up aganst each other.

The compressor is just to touch things up on the way in. Think light rock/chilldrens music. I'm not trying to run anything through a vise.

My questions about my pres were just to get some real world experience on th pairing of the Hammer with these units
Old 7th July 2010
Jai guru deva om

You can hear the Hammer vs many other equalizers in the Clip-A-Lator on the ZenPro Audio site.

It is indeed an excellent eq, no matter what preamp you have which isn't really anything to consider when buying a dedicated eq in my opinion. It sounds like you are describing the Hammer anyhow...!

War
Old 7th July 2010
Gear Addict

Hammers are great for percussive maintenance.
Old 7th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Based on your questions, the only thing I can think is to ask you a question...What other EQ's do you own? The fact that no one else has inquired about what other EQ's you have is concerning...
Well the other responders aren't pimping gear.

tutt
Old 7th July 2010
Lives for gear

You can hear the Hammer vs many other equalizers in the Clip-A-Lator on the ZenPro Audio site

Thanks. I'll head over and take a listen.
Old 7th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneinaPond View Post
Well the other responders aren't pimping gear.

tutt
+1 !

to answer the original posters question.... I own a Hammer - and it is on the mix buss on 99% of my mixes.

I mix far more than I record acoustic instruments.... so I won't comment on using the Hammer for recording... however my general philosophy would be to put a good mic in a good place... and move the mic 'till it sounds good..... and do any subtle EQ in the mix. I usually prefer mic -> pre -> DAW.

The Hammer is AMAZING at the 10k boost - as others have commented. I don't know of any other EQ that does what the Hammer does with a 10k boost. It really does 'open up' a mix. Any genre of music.

Old 7th July 2010
Gear Addict

MP-2NV+Hammer on vocs and 2-buss.

For vocals... I like the GR running on the clean side with the output "cal" knob set on the higher side and the input down a bit. Too much of the GR's input transformer on vocals is like too much butter... The Hammer does what you'd think nice tube saturation/compression should do, but it does it while maintaining a smooth crystal clear air and highs.

Mix buss... It's amazing at pushing forward the high-mids and highs which makes your mix appear louder and compressed in a good way. I like to mix nice and warm with tons of lows and not as bright as some prefer. Once the mix is done, I can't wait to throw the hammer on it cause I know the way it complements my mix style. I just patch it in at the end.

-Bruno
Old 7th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno B View Post
MP-2NV+Hammer on vocs and 2-buss.

.......The Hammer does what you'd think nice tube saturation/compression should do, but it does it while maintaining a smooth crystal clear air and highs.

Mix buss... It's amazing at pushing forward the high-mids and highs which makes your mix appear louder and compressed in a good way. ......

-Bruno
I really, really don't think that the Hammer EQ makes audio sound compressed in the least.

Not to be a jerk... but... it is an EQ - how could it make audio sound compressed?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search