The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Power Supply repair for a UA 2192
Old 14th June 2010
Lives for gear

Power Supply repair for a UA 2192

Help needed!

I experienced problems with the internal power supply of my UA 2192 for a while and finally had the unit stop working completely. I bought the unit from Golden Age Music in Sweden a few years ago and Bo Medin has always been very helpful. Burt since there were long delays with the Swedish UA distributor even when originally ordering the unit from Golden Age Music it was suggested that I use a local repair shop to speed up the process.

I also twice contacted Universal Audio with an 'official' inquiry through their website and specifically asked who to contact in Switzerland or Germany. But their answers were rather vague and the UA website doesn't even list a distributor for Switzerland.

An audio dealer here suggested a repair guy in Switzerland and I sent the unit to him. He is supposed to be an 'official' repair shop for UA but it's been almost 2 months now without him receiving the power supply that he supposedly ordered from UA. I can't wait any longer especially as I haven't received any info about the costs for the PSU and repair either. So I asked my unit back and it should be here later this week.

So here are my questions:

- Is UA's customer service really that bad? Are delays like that 'normal'? My experiences with Chandler, Little Labs and other manufacters were TOTALLY different i.e very fast repairs and help in general (with great support from Mike Nehra/Vintage King as well). I suspect that my repair guy wasn't exactly killing himself to get things moving but I don't care now and just want to have the box fixed.

- Does the 2192 need an 'original' PSU from UA. I just want my unit to wortk again because it's my main DA and DA. It totally SUCKS not having the box available?

- FWIW, I'm quite a fan of the UA stuff and I also own two 2108s, one LA-3A and one 6176. But frankly I am less than excited about the way that my situation was handled here.

I'd be happy to get any input how to have the 2192 repaired soon. I don't mind sending the unit to ther European countries or even the US when necessary.

The fact that UA doesn't even seem to have an official distributor for Switzerland implies that buying locally wouldn't have helped at all. And the reason that I didn't buy the 2192 in Switzerland was that it would have cost me at least $1500 more (I'm NOT kidding)
Old 14th June 2010
Lives for gear

Anybody?

I really would like to know if the PSU inside the 2192 is unique to UA or if otehr parts could be used. It seems that ordering parts from UA is not so easy? It really sucks not be able to use teh 2192 for almost 2 months now...
Old 14th June 2010
When you say it stopped working what does it mean? No sound? No power? If no power have you checked the fuses? Did you open it up and look inside?

Any power supply can be repaired as long as the parts are available.
Old 14th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
When you say it stopped working what does it mean? No sound? No power? If no power have you checked the fuses?
Problems started when it took longer to power up, the LEDs were flickering and there were some 'pulsating' sounds. This only took a few seconds but it seems that everytime I powered the 2192 up it took longer. Finally I just kept it on all the time as I needed the box and couldn't afford to send it out.

Finally after a short vacation it simply stayed in 'Flickering' mode when powering up, no sound except the 'pulse.'

Quote:
Did you open it up and look inside?
No, I'm pretty non-technical and I was supposing that the 'technician' I sent the unit to would enlighten me. He just said that he needs to order a PSU from Universal Audio and that it hadn't arrived yet despite their promises.

Whatever...I just want to send it somewhere else as I dodn't have too mcuh faith in this repair guide.

Quote:
Any power supply can be repaired as long as the parts are available.
I would suppose that the parts are available from UA. And I also would suppose that they would at least try helping a customer.....
Old 14th June 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
Problems started when it took longer to power up, the LEDs were flickering and there were some 'pulsating' sounds. This only took a few seconds but it seems that everytime I powered the 2192 up it took longer. Finally I just kept it on all the time as I needed the box and couldn't afford to send it out.

Finally after a short vacation it simply stayed in 'Flickering' mode when powering up, no sound except the 'pulse.'

No, I'm pretty non-technical and I was supposing that the 'technician' I sent the unit to would enlighten me. He just said that he needs to order a PSU from Universal Audio and that it hadn't arrived yet despite their promises.

Whatever...I just want to send it somewhere else as I dodn't have too mcuh faith in this repair guide.

I would suppose that the parts are available from UA. And I also would suppose that they would at least try helping a customer.....
Flickering lights can be almost anything. It could be a simple as a bad regulator to something more complex as a part that goes into oscillation for no reason.

Have you tried it outside your studio? Its also possible that in your studio right now the voltage necessary to power it is a little low(such as a brown out in the area). This would account for the flickering lights.
Old 14th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Flickering lights can be almost anything. It could be a simple as a bad regulator to something more complex as a part that goes into oscillation for no reason.

Have you tried it outside your studio? Its also possible that in your studio right now the voltage necessary to power it is a little low(such as a brown out in the area). This would account for the flickering lights.
I thought about this actually but it was the same in other rooms and at least I do suppose that the repair dude tried it as well. It definitely seems to be a PSU problem but I thought that this would be a relatively minor affair, well it seems that I was wrong...
Old 14th June 2010
Quote:
I thought about this actually but it was the same in other rooms and at least I do suppose that the repair dude tried it as well. It definitely seems to be a PSU problem but I thought that this would be a relatively minor affair, well it seems that I was wrong...
The only way to really tell is to open it up and troubleshoot.

Start from the transformer on upwards.

I wish more manufacturers these days would supply schematics for their gear like in the old days.
Old 15th June 2010
Lives for gear

I had the power supply go out on my 2192. It flat wouldn't turn on. I sent it to UA, they had it back to me in about a week and a half. 2 months should never happen.
Old 15th June 2010
Lives for gear

doorknocker...I bought my 2192 last fall used but in great physical condition, except that when I got it here it had the flicking light power on power off issue that you described exactly...

I got an RMA sent it to UA and they supposedly "fixed it" but I got it back and it did the same thing... contacted UA again, and they claimed that they had never seen such a thing before and offered to "fix it" again...

however I couldnt afford the down time in my studio...so like you I just kept it on all the time...

Now lately though, Ive been able to shut it down and turn it off with no flickers or power ons...so maybe its getting better...but i will say it was a frustrating issue and UA couldnt fix it the first time and I didnt have confidence that theyd fix it the second time just FYI

Quote:

Old 15th June 2010
Lives for gear

I got mine last year, and the first one had problems with the clock not locking at all. UA service was great to me, helpful on the phone. They shipped an advance replacement out right away. I just switcheroo at the distributor.
Old 15th June 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks for the input guys, I'll try contacting UA again. After all, they own me a favour as I've always praised their gear here and elsewhere...
Old 17th June 2010
Lives for gear

Update: S.A.E as official distributor for UA in Germany/Switzerland now is willing to repair the unit after some communication problems have been resolved.

I also must say that I am less than thrilled with the uncommited response I got from Golden Age Music in Sweden where I bought the unit.

The whole thing just proves again how inmportant after-sales service is. Vintage King has been incredible with that and I will stick with them in the future whenever possible. (I can say the same for Mercenary as wel).
Old 17th June 2010
Lives for gear

Dont be scared. Open her up and look around. Just dont go poking around. Its pretty harmless. Also why are you getting on the guy for having his equipment being down for 2 months? Obviously he cant afford to get it fixed asap.
Old 17th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeK$ View Post
Dont be scared. Open her up and look around. Just dont go poking around. Its pretty harmless. Also why are you getting on the guy for having his equipment being down for 2 months? Obviously he cant afford to get it fixed asap.
I can't comprehend what you're trying to say.

Anyway, the 2192 goes out to the official distributor today. There's no way in hell that I will open up the unit myself.
Old 17th June 2010
Lives for gear

Success

I contacted UA again describing my troubles and they got back to me immedeately. The 2192 will go out to California tomorrow and the promised a fast repair... COOL!!
Old 13th April 2011
Quote:
I contacted UA again describing my troubles and they got back to me immedeately. The 2192 will go out to California tomorrow and the promised a fast repair... COOL!!
Did you get this fixed? What was the problem?

Mine's doing the exact same thing. Had to turn it off this morning, and it's taking longer than usual to come back to life... still flickering after almost an hour now.

I guess I need to contact UA also... hopefully they will still fix it even though they have discontinued them.
Old 15th April 2011
Gear Maniac

I'm glad I live in California!
Old 27th October 2015
Gear Addict

got the flickering lights issue as well :'(

was anybody able to fix that issue by themselves, without having to send their 2192 to a UA repair shop ?
Old 22nd November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitsville View Post

was anybody able to fix that issue by themselves, without having to send their 2192 to a UA repair shop ?
Interested in that too in case my two UA will get tired...
Old 24th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitsville View Post

Wow, I realize it's been 5 years since I had that issue/started this thread.

After sending the 2192 to UA in California and getting it back within 2 weeks (if memory serves) I never experienced any problem with it. And I pretty much used the 2192 daily for the last 5 years.

Unless you have a knowledgable tech at hand with access to the right parts I wouldn't hesitate to send the box directly to UA. Not only did I get fast service but they also gave me a very reasonable rate after hearing about my troubles with the 'official' UA support here in Europe.
Old 24th November 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Unless you have a knowledgable tech at hand with access to the right parts I wouldn't hesitate to send the box directly to UA. Not only did I get fast service but they also gave me a very reasonable rate after hearing about my troubles with the 'official' UA support here in Europe.
I've sent UA a message who pointed me to a repair company in the Netherlands. Didn't get a chance to send it yet. It will cost me 35€ + VAT + shipping costs to get a quote from them.
Old 19th September 2018
any updates on this issue - I have a used 2192 I acquired not long ago, that has just started with the flickering lights -it stabilized after a minute or two, but now I am a bit worried....
Old 19th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtoe View Post
any updates on this issue - I have a used 2192 I acquired not long ago, that has just started with the flickering lights -it stabilized after a minute or two, but now I am a bit worried....
I now own three 2192s. After the first repair 'experience' described at the top of this thread I had a second unit go down. I begged UA to let me send the unit to California at my own costs but I was appointed to the repair shop in Holland and unfortunately the experience was terrible. They 'fixed' the PSU which took weeks and a few months later it broke again! After contacting them (responses were always snail-slow) they admitted that they didn't exchange the PSU but merely 'fixed' it. BTW it did cost me 200 Euros plus dealing with customs and paying VAT upon return to Switzerland even though it was my own 2192 that I sent out.

The European UA service shop in Holland is called Hanex and they are IDIOTS. I'm sorry but it has to be said.

Gearslut hitsville here was gracious enough to help me and pointed out that replacing the PSU is very simple to do. IF you can get a replacement from UA.

So not wanting to go through the whole deal again I simply asked my friends at Hanex 'Can't you just sell and send me a replacement PSU?' and the answer was 'Yes, of course'. WTF!

Anyway, I'm very non-technical but when the PSU happily arrived here replacing it took only minutes.

So to sum it up: Once the flickering light syndrome starts it's only a matter of time till the PSU will go down. So I would suggest that you contact UA and have them send you a replacement PSU. It was not that expensive.
Old 19th September 2018
Thanks a bunch doorknocker this is very helpful info - I appreciate the pain you had to go through to gain this knowledge to share - much appreciated! I will contact UA and see if they can send out the part
Old 19th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks a bunch doorknocker this is very helpful info - I appreciate the pain you had to go through to gain this knowledge to share - much appreciated!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Ua2192 schemo/repair?

Old thread but im looking for service help on a ua2192? Schematics or parts? UA just told me that they dont service them(and haven’t in yrs)
I asked for a schematic (since they dont support anymore) and was told ‘we dont give schematics to customers). Wtf?
Old 4 weeks ago
When I called UA earlier this year, they offered to send me replacement PSU that they still had kicking around (NOS) and it was going to cost around $75. This was great, a quick, inexpensive solution, I could install myself.

Unfortunately, when they learned I was in Canada (not the USA), I instead had to send away my unit to HHB (their Canadian distributor) as they would not send me the part directly, as it violated their warranty service agreement, and they had to have their own tech repair the unit. It ended up taking longer then I would have liked (my 2192 was gone for about 6 weeks), but in the end it's fixed and it's was a reasonable expense (more like $150).

Ask if they can send you out the replacement part maybe? try another rep? Hope it works out for you! I feel your pain....
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

[QUOTE=Hardtoe;14097119]When I called UA earlier this year, they offered to send me replacement PSU that they still had kicking around (NOS) and it was going to cost around $75. This was great, a quick, inexpensive solution, I could install myself.

Unfortunately, when they learned I was in Canada (not the USA), I instead had to send away my unit to HHB (their Canadian distributor) as they would not send me the part directly, as it violated their warranty service agreement, and they had to have their own tech repair the unit. It ended up taking longer then I would have liked (my 2192 was gone for about 6 weeks), but in the end it's fixed and it's was a reasonable expense (more like $150).

Ask if they can send you out the replacement part maybe? try another rep? Hope it works out for you! I feel your pain....[/QUOTE
Yes, i need to actually call. Glad to hear u recently got a psu for it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Unfortunately, when they learned I was in Canada (not the USA), I instead had to send away my unit to HHB (their Canadian distributor) as they would not send me the part directly, as it violated their warranty service agreement, and they had to have their own tech repair the unit. It ended up taking longer then I would have liked (my 2192 was gone for about 6 weeks), but in the end it's fixed and it's was a reasonable expense (more like $150)..
Sorry to hear that, as I've described above I have major problems with UA's 'service' over the years.

Fact is, that 99% of the time the PSU is the problem (As it happened twice to me) and replacing the PSU is extremely easy to do, 5 minutes at most.

So is it totally unacceptable that UA makes it so hard to get replacement PSUs for a unit that originally sold at 3k or more. I realize that I should have gotten about 3 spare PSUs when I finally was able to get them.

Now look at companies like Studer/Revox that provided spare parts pretty much for DECADES. Professional gear that was built to last a lifetime and not today's focus on software that you will need to replace eventually to the companies great delight.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Yeah, ive never had a company not give me a schematic for an discountinued product. I cant get my 3k$ convert fixed but i can get my Hoover Vacuum fixed!
-they are about the same age! Lol

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search