The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Power Supply repair for a UA 2192
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear

Power supplies almost always break the same way and get fixed the same way. I'd just find a local tech. It's probably the standard blown capacitor.
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear

My 2192s power blew up about two years ago and I phoned UA and they said they could not do anything for me as it was an EOL'ed product. It's a shame how UA treats customers My HEDD 192 was purchased at the same time but Dave Hill would never hang his customers out to dry.
Old 16th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhu View Post
My 2192s power blew up about two years ago and I phoned UA and they said they could not do anything for me as it was an EOL'ed product. It's a shame how UA treats customers My HEDD 192 was purchased at the same time but Dave Hill would never hang his customers out to dry.
That's crazy, as I called two years later and got a totally different response - very weak support for a premium product from a professional audio company, esp since it is a relatively inexpensive part, that takes down what is still a great converter 16 years after its release....Sorry to hear it went that way for you, I guess it's luck of the draw as to who you get on the phone that day you call.
Old 17th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtoe View Post
That's crazy, as I called two years later and got a totally different response - very weak support for a premium product from a professional audio company, esp since it is a relatively inexpensive part, that takes down what is still a great converter 16 years after its release....Sorry to hear it went that way for you, I guess it's luck of the draw as to who you get on the phone that day you call.
I had a French tech tell me that the biggest problem and really only problem with the 2192 is the power supply and that they always crap out eventually.
Old 17th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
UA is only about marketing and pushing software these days, it's a shame. As I said earlier the PSU is a rather low-cost thing and super-easy to switch out. It's basically also the ONLY issue you will encounter with the 2192. I got four of them that run every day, I love them.

Getting no support now is just unacceptable, after all Universal Audio is a company that is built on their legacy from decades ago.
Old 17th July 2019
Lives for gear

I had to fix my one too a few years back
I remember, for the current the device is drawing it had a slightly under-spec'd smps [not better than the one that sits in a SPX90] which puts more stress on the parts.
It would be possible to install a more capable PSU but that one would also be a bit larger in size. The metal l-section that sourrounds the original psu would need some modification/a relocation to open up the space for a larger smps.

Anyways, if someone has a PSU problem with their 2192 I'm happy to take care about it. It would be a shame not being able to use such a nice converter because of a petty power supply problem
Old 17th July 2019
Lives for gear

I’m in the same boat with failed power supply, here in NZ. Last year UA’s direct response to request for sourcing new power supply was basically “it’s discontinued and we can’t do anything about it”.

It’s been sitting around unused since. So disappointing!
This thread has renewed my hope....thanks!
Old 17th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd33 View Post
I’m in the same boat with failed power supply, here in NZ. Last year UA’s direct response to request for sourcing new power supply was basically “it’s discontinued and we can’t do anything about it”.

It’s been sitting around unused since. So disappointing!
This thread has renewed my hope....thanks!
You're welcome to send me your power supply for a service if you can't find a local tech and you are able to take it out of the enclosure [not too difficult]
Old 17th July 2019
Gear Head

I understand the 2192 is a sweet sounding converter. And I think Burl Audio is the current "offspring" because that's where Rich Williams went, right? The Burl stuff seems to be built like a tank so hopefully that includes more robust power supplies...
Old 17th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
UA is only about marketing and pushing software these days, it's a shame. As I said earlier the PSU is a rather low-cost thing and super-easy to switch out. It's basically also the ONLY issue you will encounter with the 2192. I got four of them that run every day, I love them.

Getting no support now is just unacceptable, after all Universal Audio is a company that is built on their legacy from decades ago.
This for me is the difference between a "real" pro audio company and a prosumer company.

I can never imagine Dave Hill, Rich Williams, Dan Kennedy, Wade Goeke, etc. not providing helpful solutions for the owners of their products even 10 years down the line.

This is why I won't buy from the prosumer companies because I want to support the pros who will support me right back!

Last edited by siddhu; 17th July 2019 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: spelling/syntax errors
Old 18th July 2019
Gear Nut

Psu for 2192

Well, now was told that there were a few in stock so i ordered one as a back up! But they only ahip to certain countries.

Question for owners: are the analog output trim pots stepped or variable? My seem to be vari but also dont seem to work...
Old 19th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyToby View Post
You're welcome to send me your power supply for a service if you can't find a local tech and you are able to take it out of the enclosure [not too difficult]
Would you mind sharing the procedure to repair a failed 2192 PSU ?

In advance... thanks !
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatsnblunts View Post
Well, now was told that there were a few in stock so i ordered one as a back up! But they only ahip to certain countries.

Question for owners: are the analog output trim pots stepped or variable? My seem to be vari but also dont seem to work...
Could you please PM me the contact details? Thanks!
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyToby View Post
Thank you SO much for the reply. Will see how far I get with UA having a spare supply...
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksandr View Post
Would you mind sharing the procedure to repair a failed 2192 PSU ?

In advance... thanks !
I n advance . . Sure, You would have the choice between two mime acts: The classic French Pierrot style or Marcel Marceau's more modern take-on. I would charge the same [ a lot, to compensate for instant depressions . . even by watching it, . . sorry, to my French Mum ]
Old 19th July 2019
Mes salutations à ta mère.
Old 19th July 2019
Gear Nut

UA contact:
877-MY-UAUDIO (877-698-2834)
831-440-1176 (international)
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatsnblunts View Post
UA contact:
877-MY-UAUDIO (877-698-2834)
831-440-1176 (international)
Thanks dude! The reason I was asking for a specific contact is that I already tried going through their system last year and got nowhere. So I was wondering if there was a specific person within UA, that is up with the play on this particular issue, being that they’re a largish company?
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear

At this point in may be worth to have a tech make a custom external power supply rather than buy a PSU from UA that is destined to fail. Better to invest the money in a proper solution that will last.

That's what I'm doing with my tech who is going to build me a custom overspec'ed power supply.
Old 29th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhu View Post
At this point in may be worth to have a tech make a custom external power supply rather than buy a PSU from UA that is destined to fail. Better to invest the money in a proper solution that will last.

That's what I'm doing with my tech who is going to build me a custom overspec'ed power supply.
Please post back here with details of what you build!

I have a power supply on its way from UA. I’m wondering if anyone has modded their 2192 in some way, to provide better cooling to the power supply and if it’s worth trying?
Old 29th July 2019
Apparently, Cédric Marion from Studio TDM, the official repair guy for UAD in France, has done the job quite a few times.

The cost is €500.00 and the external PSU is quite huge : 2U 1/2 rack space PSU unit.
Old 30th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksandr View Post
Apparently, Cédric Marion from Studio TDM, the official repair guy for UAD in France, has done the job quite a few times.

The cost is €500.00 and the external PSU is quite huge : 2U 1/2 rack space PSU unit.
Doesn't make sense. The last of my four 2192 I got for under $1000. I punch myself for not getting more backup PSUs when I was able to get one from UA.

FWIW, all the UA gear I currently own has been discountinued: LA-3As, 2108s, 2192s. And those are all great boxes. It's a pity that UA doesn't service their gear anymore.
Old 31st July 2019
Woah - I agree that's a chunk of change.

It's nice to know someone is doing this, but that pretty steep for a power supply.

I was a little spoiled as I bought my 2192 Used for $450 Canadian, plus $150 for the power supply repair = $600 all in.

That power supply would be $730 Canadian (not counting shipping / import fees).

Hopefully my repair lasts a good while, and a cheaper option surfaces for those who love the trust old 2192.

I agree it's a shame that a company with a pedigree like UA will not stand by its products, after they are no longer it's sales focus.

Hey UA, we still love the 2192!
Old 31st July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
Wow, I realize it's been 5 years since I had that issue/started this thread.

After sending the 2192 to UA in California and getting it back within 2 weeks (if memory serves) I never experienced any problem with it. And I pretty much used the 2192 daily for the last 5 years.
Just curious is the 2192 you mentioned in this post still working? That would make about 9 years of joy after the repair, if I got this right?

Trying to figure out how quickly/often the supplies fail, and when is likely to rear it's head again in my world...
Old 31st July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just curious is the 2192 you mentioned in this post still working? That would make about 9 years of joy after the repair, if I got this right?

Trying to figure out how quickly/often the supplies fail, and when is likely to rear it's head again in my world...
I had two seperate 2192/PSUs going down over the years. I use one 2192 also for monitoring so that one is on all day.
The others are not always on but they work great.

It seems to me that the 2192 is pretty reliable. The problems I had was terrible service/long waits (as described early in this thread). Once I DID get a replacement PSU it wasn't expensive and swapping it was very easy to do. Best thing would be to have spare PSUs so if anything happens you'd be up again in 20 minutes or so.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Glad I stumbled upon this thread — thanks Slutz!! My 2192’s lights started blinking and the unit stopped working. A quick search and I found this thread and realized the power source was probably the issue. A quick phone call to UA and they confirmed power supplies were still available and I ordered a replacement for just under $50 incl tax and shipping. Popped the power supply in and I’m back in business in under 15 minutes with only a screwdriver needed. Thanks all for taking the time to document your troubles!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search