The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Does Neve 1081r have output transformers?
Old 11th June 2010
Does Neve 1081r have output transformers?

I were looking at AMS-Neve's website and couldn't figure out if the 1081R remote preamps comes with output transformers. So do they? heh

Also are they controlable from Pro Tools like the Digidesign Pre?
Can you store gain settings and stuff in the PT sessions?
Old 11th June 2010
Gear Nut
Bumpety bump!

I'm interested in this as well.
Anyone?
Old 11th June 2010
Lives for gear

Hi

Anyone emailed customer support or sales at AMS-Neve?

heh
Old 12th June 2010
Lives for gear

Re: Does Neve 1081r have output transformers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T
Hi

Anyone emailed customer support or sales at AMS-Neve?

heh
Geoff that is a far to logical answer for GS!
As a manufacture don't you live for the insight of those who know nothing about your products answering technical questions?
Old 13th June 2010
Thanks for the helpfulness.

AMS Neve say on their site that they don't want to answer questions about the outboard range. So I sent an e-mail to the local dealer. Not sure if they know it though.
Old 13th June 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin View Post
Does Neve 1081r have output transformers??
Nope
Old 13th June 2010
Lives for gear
Goes that for the real ones too? The one used by AIR Studios in the beginning?
Old 13th June 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindell View Post
Nope
Ah.. thanks.

Any idea how it compares soundwise to the regular 1081 or 1073/1084?
Old 13th June 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Ah.. thanks.

Any idea how it compares soundwise to the regular 1081 or 1073/1084?
Without the mighty 2N3055 and a transformer it would be a completely different thing.
Old 14th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bace View Post
Without the mighty 2N3055 and a transformer it would be a completely different thing.
Hi

The addition of 1073/84 into the thread caused a red herring.

The original 1081 used a BA340 pcb (BC441 and 461 in push-pull) driving a LO2567.

I don't know much about the 1081R but have a feeling it uses op amps for the output.

Old 15th June 2010
This is the answer AMS gave through my dealer:

"Both the 1081R and the 4081 use exactly the same mic/pre circuit design as the 1081 classic module. Exactly.
The only difference is the Production techniques – the 1081R/4081 use modern components on modern PCB’s instead of old-school components and hand-wired assemblies. There is however no difference in sonic performance, as the modern design is made to ensure the same responses as the classic design.

The major difference between the 1081R/4081 and the 1081 classic is that here is no EQ and Output stage processing in the 1081R/4081. In the 1081 classic module, this extra audio stage involves additional transformers and additional amplifier circuits. The 1081R/4081 do not have these extra circuits fitted. But the Mic/pre circuit design and performance of the 1081R/4081 is exactly the same as the 1081 classic module.

The other difference is that the 1081 Classic has no modern circuitry in it, so no remote control and FireWire options!......... "
Old 15th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

"Both the 1081R and the 4081 use exactly the same mic/pre circuit design as the 1081 classic module. Exactly.
The only difference is the Production techniques – the 1081R/4081 use modern components on modern PCB’s instead of old-school components and hand-wired assemblies. There is however no difference in sonic performance, as the modern design is made to ensure the same responses as the classic design.

The major difference between the 1081R/4081 and the 1081 classic is that here is no EQ and Output stage processing in the 1081R/4081. In the 1081 classic module, this extra audio stage involves additional transformers and additional amplifier circuits. The 1081R/4081 do not have these extra circuits fitted. But the Mic/pre circuit design and performance of the 1081R/4081 is exactly the same as the 1081 classic module.

The other difference is that the 1081 Classic has no modern circuitry in it, so no remote control and FireWire options!......... "
Hi

Not wanting to parse their wording like a legal beaver lawyer... "exact" is subject to poetic licence.

If it doesn't have the beefy output stage, would the sound be "exactly" the same?

If it uses total recall to switch FETs (or whatever) in the feedback circuit around the pre amp, rather than hard switching... would it sound "exactly" the same?

But if you have never heard the real deal of the classic, how can you know how different it sounds?

What an enigma...

heh
Old 15th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

Wow! What a total load of crap! Either AMS/Neve or your dealer or both are not being overly honest with you.
Old 17th June 2010

How is that a 'total load of crap'? They say:

Same mic pre amp circuit
Modern construction methods - i.e. PCBs/surface mount components etc
Same performance
No EQ
Different output stage (no transformer)

Of course they will sound slightly different to a 'classic' 1081 (depending on how important the output transformer is to you), but I should imagine the performance will be very similar.
Old 17th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisio View Post
How is that a 'total load of crap'? They say:
Quote:
Same mic pre amp circuit
So the entire output stage is not considered part of a preamps circuit?
Quote:
Modern construction methods - i.e. PCBs/surface mount components etc
Same performance
Wrong. Not the same performance.
Quote:
No EQ
Different output stage (no transformer)
Which makes it completely different
Quote:
Of course they will sound slightly different to a 'classic' 1081 (depending on how important the output transformer is to you), but I should imagine the performance will be very similar.
Slightly different? There is nothing slight about replacing critical stages in a circuit.
Old 17th June 2010
Lives for gear

Hi

It was a silly philosphy. Take the EQ out of the equation and the 1081 is a 10468 and BA338 and the BA340 and LO2567 output stage is a massive part of the sound.

You just can't remove the latter and say it sounds like a 1081.

It's silly because you could also call it a 3401R, 3402R or 3405R, all of which use the 10468 and BA338. Without the EQ, why call it a 1081?

Same with the 1073... take away the EQ and you have a 1290... not a 1073.

It's all to do with buzz words....

Old 17th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T View Post
Hi

It was a silly philosphy. Take the EQ out of the equation and the 1081 is a 10468 and BA338 and the BA340 and LO2567 output stage is a massive part of the sound.

You just can't remove the latter and say it sounds like a 1081.

It's silly because you could also call it a 3401R, 3402R or 3405R, all of which use the 10468 and BA338. Without the EQ, why call it a 1081?

Same with the 1073... take away the EQ and you have a 1290... not a 1073.

It's all to do with buzz words....

AMEN! Preach it brother Geoff! heh
Old 23rd January 2015
Lives for gear

I know this is old, but I can't seem to get a definitive answer anywhere. How does the 1081 mic pre differ from 1073 sonically without going into what's in the units. Like lows highs, high mids etc

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search