The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Copying a Lexicon 480L Classic Cart Multi-Effects Processors (HW)
Old 5th June 2010
Lives for gear

Copying a Lexicon 480L Classic Cart

I have been trying to buy a classic cart for my 480L and had no luck so far,
i have a blank cart, is it posible that i can copy a classic cart on to this Blank cart? if this do-a-ble, i would pay money to get this done
thanks
Old 6th June 2010
Lives for gear

You cannot copy the classic cart to a blank cart 'cause the classic cart banks reside on the 480L itself, not on the classic cart. The classic cart works like a dongle, unlocking the access to these banks.
Old 6th June 2010
Lives for gear

How About

Can my blank cart be converted to act as a dongle? is it software? or is it hardware?
Cant be impossible to do,
steve
Old 7th July 2010
Lives for gear

when it rains it pours

so as you kow i have been looking for a classic cart for my 480L for a few months in the space of 2 days last week i found 2 in london, the first was very costly , but then Mark at Funky Junk sourced one for me and i saved a few quid, and found a cart,
this is why Funky Junk is my favourite shop over here, they never forget a customer and great service
steve
Old 16th March 2016
Here for the gear

Hi Steve Honest, I am looking for a classic cart now, do you know of any around or a way to turn one into a dongle?
Old 16th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrespoll View Post
Hi Steve Honest, I am looking for a classic cart now, do you know of any around or a way to turn one into a dongle?
Understand if you can't use a plugin, but the NI RC24 or the UAD 224 sound better to me than the classic cart version. I have worked directly with the 480 microcode and there are a couple of major bugs that really hurt the Classic Cart version.

On the other hand the HD cart is an amazing addition to a 4.1 480. Davids best algorithm. It uses the entire 480 for twice the DSP than any other algorithm.

-Casey
Old 16th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Honest View Post
so as you kow i have been looking for a classic cart for my 480L for a few months in the space of 2 days last week i found 2 in london, the first was very costly , but then Mark at Funky Junk sourced one for me and i saved a few quid, and found a cart,
this is why Funky Junk is my favourite shop over here, they never forget a customer and great service
steve
If you've got the right software version 480/L then see David Kulka at Studio Electronics, I saw he had a few 480 carts for sale, classic and Test cart geez, all that friggin money and a PC junior cartridge someone wasn't thinking

Then again? Apparently in the plumes of smoke it was all very well back in those days....as Larry's Doobies were legendary in size, Cuban cigar style! Lol....!

Last edited by TheLastByte; 16th March 2016 at 07:01 PM..
Old 18th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
Understand if you can't use a plugin, but the NI RC24 or the UAD 224 sound better to me than the classic cart version. I have worked directly with the 480 microcode and there are a couple of major bugs that really hurt the Classic Cart version.

On the other hand the HD cart is an amazing addition to a 4.1 480. Davids best algorithm. It uses the entire 480 for twice the DSP than any other algorithm.

-Casey
I kinda of agree Casey, though it's those bugs in the code, and the HSP boards with near burnt caps and other Physical stuff that to my ears gives hardware that edge, Algo for Algo is dsp, I don't accept Plug In's for so many things in 2016 don't work, some are amazing, still.....there's a price to pay for near everthing be it the convenient manner of plugs or difficulty in hardware ( as in support etc).

Love the HD cart!
Old 18th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post

-Casey
This...
...plus the HD cart is the medication that keeps my M7 GAS at bay
Old 21st March 2016
Lives for gear

LARES anybody?
That's some interesting Reverberation and uses in a 480/L unit used as to control LARES as an Algorthim though possibly Dr. G has moved on from the older Hardware format! I'd be interested to know current options!
Old 21st March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstringer View Post
You cannot copy the classic cart to a blank cart 'cause the classic cart banks reside on the 480L itself, not on the classic cart. The classic cart works like a dongle, unlocking the access to these banks.
Indeed I Agree, it's the software carrying the ability and the Cart enabling those Algos to be realised. Much like V1.10 in a PCM 80/81, great unit though until you add the Dual FX, Pitch FX and Pitch Correct Algos, well....it's only then that does the power become fully realised and the extra options of Routing, Algos and construction of a near other unit!

Why on Earth.....Lexicon chose the PC Junior Cart and PCMCIA cards as format devices for transfer is baffling as seriously, there were so many better options, even an added 3 &1/2 floppy as per the TC M5000 would have given much freedom. Seriously the risk of "Cracking those carts and pcmcia Jedia 2 cards" back then was not really a 2016 foreseeable option I guess...maybe as TC, Eventide and others used PCMCIA cards it seemed a simple option!

Trying to buy a card in that format a few years later from 1995/6 was near impossible unless you knew some huge IT tech heads at a University in my neck of the earth! More so at 256 to 512K sizes lat alone 10 Meg, indeed, those smaller sizes up to 1 Meg had near disappeared all together!

Thank goodness eBay started in 2000!
About its only great use, the obscure and unloved electronic items were listed!
Old 2nd November 2018
Gear Maniac

I’ve scored a Software v4.1 upgrade kit and classic cart.
Can’t wait!
Any idea if the hd card can be copied? Any links?
Old 5th November 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by rectape View Post
I’ve scored a Software v4.1 upgrade kit and classic cart.
Can’t wait!
Any idea if the hd card can be copied? Any links?
I would love to get my hands on the elusive HD Cart
Would pay top dollar if you're reading this and want to sell yours message me.

Anyone tried the HD Cart plugin?
Does it 'get there'?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search