The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ROCKRUEPEL COMPRESSOR comp.one Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 3rd February 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by masteringworks View Post
Yes it is true - we will come out with a comp.two at Frankfurt Musikmesse.
Awesome balls, just for this I booked my ticket for the Messe. :D
Old 9th April 2013
Gear Head

Alright just confirming ! We are not only showing the comp.two but we are also starting to ship the first units - come to the Musikmesse and take a look (also listen) at the successor. ! See you Stefan
Attached Thumbnails
ROCKRUEPEL COMPRESSOR comp.one-comp-two.jpg  
Old 9th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Alright just confirming ! We are not only showing the comp.two but we are also starting to ship the first units - come to the Musikmesse and take a look (also listen) at the successor. ! See you Stefan
Exciting!

But no Ruepel mode? Different set of output valves?
Old 9th April 2013
Gear Nut

mhm, I own two units of the comp.one and are as pleased as I could be - for sure one of the best and most versatile compressors built ever! - curious about this one now, from all talking I`ve heard it`s far from being as good as the .one - all what was so great about the .one is said to be gone, very much cheaper built as well... so curious to see and hear it at the Musikmesse...
Old 10th April 2013
Gear Maniac

Well… The Comp.Two is priced around $800 less than its predecessor, which means still costs almost $5,000 making it just a tinsy-winsy bit more affordable than the D.W. Fern and Manley Variable Mu.

The build quality of the Comp.One is the best I've seen on any piece of outboard equipment. While it looks less ostentatious, to me the Comp.Two seems right in line with any other high bus comp out there. Does anyone know if the faceplate is still engraved? Also, the Comp.One uses super expensive Mundorf wiring inside. Is this still the case?

Marketed as a bus compressor, I wonder if the absence of Ruepel mode will be missed or not?
Old 12th June 2013
Gear Head

comp.two is shipping

the rockruepel comp.two is shipping. The comp.two is a a high end mixing compressors and the successor of the comp.one.

I am sure you like to know what the differences are :
Chassis, Knobs (outside), Wiring Inside, Double Capacitors, the Rectifier Tube is different but the input and output tubes are the same!), there is no rockruepel mode (this mode does not affect sound only attack/release)

and here some specs :

Specifications:
Input Gain, -00 - +17 dB non stepped
Output Gain, -00 - +17 dB non stepped
Threshold - non stepped
Attack – stepped
Release - stepped
Input Impedance: ~17 KOhms Output Impedance: ~600Ohms
Tubes: 2x 6n3 2x6cg7
Sidechain EQ6 dB/oct 54Hz, 74Hz, 110Hz
Amp Only mode , Dual Mono and Link Mode
Attached Thumbnails
ROCKRUEPEL COMPRESSOR comp.one-ruepelvorne.jpg   ROCKRUEPEL COMPRESSOR comp.one-ruepelhinten.jpg  
Old 12th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
there is no rockruepel mode (this mode does not affect sound only attack/release)
Ermmm...what? RUEPEL mode on my comp.one does a LOT to the sound...
Old 13th June 2013
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the update, Stefan. After a year of using it, I am still learning more about the comp.one. In addition to various bus duties, the line amp can really bring forward certain sources. My current favorite use for Rupel Mode is with the compressor in bypass and attenuating the signal at the input, making up the gain at the output stage. I know Rupel was designed to be a pretty hard hitting distortion effect, especially with the compressor in, but I'm finding myself using it in a more subtle manor.
Old 20th June 2013
Gear Head

The ruepel mode is something special ! i agree and certainly the tube will sound different if you take away some needed current ! This is a side effect of this mode. After using the rockruepel a lot in amp only mode i am just starting with compression more and more.... and the comp.two is basically based around using amp only or with compression.... :-)
Old 15th July 2013
Here for the gear

I'm going to buy a comp.two next month… I'm really excited!

But does anybody know where to get recall sheets? I can only find those for the comp.one.

Greetings
Marco
Old 23rd July 2013
Gear Head

recall sheets are coming shortly !
Gruß Stefan
Old 24th July 2013
Gear Head

comp.two recall sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco1989 View Post
I'm going to buy a comp.two next month… I'm really excited!

But does anybody know where to get recall sheets? I can only find those for the comp.one.

Greetings
Marco

yes now available : MasteringWorks | Products - Rockruepel | high end audio gear distribution
Old 4th August 2013
Here for the gear

Okay, thank you! :-) I'll keep checking.
Old 4th August 2013
Gear Maniac

No offense to Mastering Works but your website needs work. There are no add-to-cart options, and only EU dealers. This product would do a lot better and more people would know about it if it was more available to the general public! Let Vintage King handle this bad boy!
Old 14th August 2013
Gear Head

Hello MicJunkie , thanks for the post ! We are just started reaching out to more international dealers since we added rockruepel and roger schult products, so your will hear more about us soon. We will actually be at the AES in NY this year !
Since we are distributors we don't want a cart or online shop - that is why we have dealers and yes we already have dealers in the states... If you are interested in buying the comp.two please contact Alan Moon at frontendaudio, 888-228-4530 ext. 106 - Toll Free or email : [email protected] email

we keep y'all posted !
Stefan
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Why the successor?? will not be Comp one anymore???
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Great, after several years of looking at this compressor you guys have a dealer in the states! I am very stoked about this product being available to the select few! WHAT A BEAUTY!
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hello MicJunkie , thanks for the post ! We are just started reaching out to more international dealers since we added rockruepel and roger schult products, so your will hear more about us soon. We will actually be at the AES in NY this year !
Since we are distributors we don't want a cart or online shop - that is why we have dealers and yes we already have dealers in the states... If you are interested in buying the comp.two please contact Alan Moon at frontendaudio, 888-228-4530 ext. 106 - Toll Free or email : [email protected] email

we keep y'all posted !
Stefan
Thanks Stefan!

The COMP.TWO is a beauty - both sonically and build quality!
We've got it in-house and it's listed on our site. So, give us a shout.
Old 25th April 2014
Gear Addict

Stefan, are the attack time and release time on the Comp One the same as the Comp Two? I downloaded the Comp Two manual and had a look but I couldn't find the Comp One manual anyway on your site. Is that ever a manual for the Comp One? I just want more info on the attack time and release time.

Update : Do the attack and release interact with each other on the Comp One? I was told that they affect each other mutually, meaning for faster attack, the release needs to be faster as well. Is that true on the Comp One?

Last edited by nOiz; 25th April 2014 at 06:34 AM.. Reason: further question
Old 14th October 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nOiz View Post
Stefan, are the attack time and release time on the Comp One the same as the Comp Two? I downloaded the Comp Two manual and had a look but I couldn't find the Comp One manual anyway on your site. Is that ever a manual for the Comp One? I just want more info on the attack time and release time.

Update : Do the attack and release interact with each other on the Comp One? I was told that they affect each other mutually, meaning for faster attack, the release needs to be faster as well. Is that true on the Comp One?
There will not be a manual for the Comp.One as it is discontinued and there wasn't a manual written previously. It was more of a boutique shop piece of gear which was difficult to produce and support. The Comp.Two is a much more production friendly design that allows us to support it easily here in the U.S. while not compromising the sound quality in any way.

In the Rockruepels, all time settings affect each other. The faster side is dominant! So ideally you keep them the same. As for any differences between the Comp.One and the Comp.Two, the times are almost the same. However, there are some slower settings on the Comp.Two, adding to it's versatility.

On a side note, I sent a very trusted customer a Comp.Two just to get his take on it and to see if I was hearing what a truly unique and beautiful beast the Comp.Two really is. For background, he has a LOT of compressors, including the Mastering Variable Mu and the TG12413 Zener Limiter - both variable-mu designs. Honestly, I thought that he would not be in the market for another of this design. However, he called me very quickly after receiving it and said, "Okay... here's my credit card number." Basically, the finding was that for mixing, other comps might bring a vocal forward in a compelling way. However, when the vocalist "goes for it", the result can suddenly turn strident. The Comp.Two is the antidote for that, and also provides other sonically beneficial characteristics that might not be immediately apparent. However, after mixing into it for a while, bypassing just to see what it's doing will be illuminating... and other customers have said that they immediately switched it back in circuit!

In my experience, the Comp.Two is a difficult compressor to make sound "bad". But more importantly, when you spend time with it and tweak little by little, you can really coax out something that I don't think is possible with any other compressor. It's a chameleon in that it is both clean and character rich at the same time... it's hard to explain. But it never leaves you really wanting unless you're already in love with something else. The Rockruepel sound is less that of a compressor and more that of an "environment" - I think that will be evident to anyone who tries it out in their own studio.

And to revisit my friend who ended up purchasing one, he found that he really wished that he had had it sooner as he was revisiting some mastering jobs just to see what the results would have been.

Anyways, hope that all helps.
Old 12th November 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonpi View Post
Thanks Stefan!

The COMP.TWO is a beauty - both sonically and build quality!
We've got it in-house and it's listed on our site. So, give us a shout.
I'm really interested in this "rare" specie..
How versatile is it? do you think it could be as slow as LA2A compressors as the Anthony De Maria ADL 1500 if needed?
is it capable to enrich the low end to make the sound bigger with more body in slow attack settings?

thanks
Old 12th November 2016
Gear Addict

The short answer is YES.
It is difficult to find a more versatile compressor. It is capable of being both lightning-fast and syrupy-slow depending on how you set the attack and release controls. And what's best is it is very difficult to make it sound bad. The worst part of that being that every setting's resulting sound is worthy of consideration. That sounds crazy, but I think that you'll understand when you try it out for yourself.
Old 21st November 2016
Gear Maniac
Well...I think that I need to confess father

Last week I was testing a real RR comp two unit and I confess that I LO VE IT..

It´s just as you described.. An amazing and full of character animal..
I can be extremely slow more than other vari-mu and close to an opto compressor, or just be close to the speed of a standard VCA comp.

And the most lovely thing is that it´s really hard to make it sound bad.

I couldn't resist.. and I accepted a good oportunity and bought it

Here it is with its new colleagues..

Last edited by esencia; 2nd April 2017 at 03:30 PM..
Old 31st March 2017
Gear Maniac
Just to give more feedback to the community..
After a couple of months.. RR definitely is an amazing and singular piece of gear.
It´s a "romantic" interpretation of a "vari-mu". Much more versatile and with a humongous set of possibilities!
Analog/warm/musical...
LOVE IT! period

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search