The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Test: Ben Sneesby's K47-Type Capsules by Klaus Heyne
Old 2nd August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by antichef View Post
For what it's worth, I just got in a BeesNeez K7 and used it to replace a Peluso PK47 in a frankenstein mic that I have. The mic is unique, with a 12AU7 based circuit, so it's not a good point of reference except to me because I've been using it for about 8 years.

So far the K7 sounds much better to me than what we hear in the shootout. The PK47 had that familiar high end sizzle that I've grown to really dislike, but the K7 has really smooth but present and detailed highs. I am looking forward to putting it through its paces when I get some good vocalists over soon.
Yeah, I'm going to put together a DIY U47, and the more I read on forums about capsules, the more That K7 capsule seems appealing. I'm still considering a genuine K47fet from Neumann, but considering the price difference, the reviews, Klaus opinion, I'm leaning more and more towards Ben's capsule. Plus he contacted me personally, which is always reassuring about relationship with the manufacturer. I wouldn't know what to expect from Neumann's service for a spare part.
Old 5th August 2016
Gear Maniac
Hi , i finish to install my K7 Beesneez in my Flea U47 and compare it to the Thiersch M7 PVC

here my thoughts:

Thiersch M7 PVC has a little more bottom at 200hz and below , and has a pretty silky detailed high end at 10khz, a bit more vintage.
K7 Beesneez has more body in the low mids and mids and more presence in the high mids 2-4 khz and a little bit less high end at 10khz , Sounds gorgeus!! and take EQ really great. Top notch capsule for sure

I keep in contact with Ben , and gave me a great customer support via email.

Best capsules i ever heard! i keep them both.

cheers from Peru
Old 6th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMNproyect View Post
Hi , i finish to install my K7 Beesneez in my Flea U47 and compare it to the Thiersch M7 PVC

here my thoughts:

Thiersch M7 PVC has a little more bottom at 200hz and below , and has a pretty silky detailed high end at 10khz, a bit more vintage.
K7 Beesneez has more body in the low mids and mids and more presence in the high mids 2-4 khz and a little bit less high end at 10khz , Sounds gorgeus!! and take EQ really great. Top notch capsule for sure

I keep in contact with Ben , and gave me a great customer support via email.

Best capsules i ever heard! i keep them both.

cheers from Peru
Thanks for the comparison ! Would you care sharing sound samples ? Thanks !
Old 7th August 2016
Gear Maniac
i will try to upload sound files, i have to learn how to do that.
But what i can say is: you should try Beesneez K7 capsule for sure, you wouldnt regret !! It has a great low end , full mids body and presence and detail , with little or none EQ vocals will cut through the mix really well.
I think ill use Thiersch M7 PVC for jazz, soul, soft pop, and classic vintage things, and Beesneez K7 mylar for pop , rock, alternative , wave, electro, house and so.
If you re going to DIY an U47 , to buy 2 heads with M7 and K7 capsules will cover all you need. Both capsules share a similar signature sound after all
Old 10th August 2016
Lives for gear

I just ordered a pair! My mother in law is muling them for me from Aus to London (she's a champ!).
Hope I get a nice pair! Looking forward to getting them alongside my Tim Campbell capsules & let em do naughty audio things together!
Old 17th August 2016
Lives for gear

There's so many U47 capsule threads up right now.. I have a Telefunken USA U48 with an Theirsch M7 and I love it but they sent me a few capsules before I made a decision. Its so big and warm and lovely and really does that proximity effect thing you'd expect from a mic of its stature... However I recently tried a late 50's 47 with a replacement K47 from the 70's and it even had a Nuvistor and it blew my socks off. It just had this butter about it that I can't describe. I'm thinking of finding a vintage one which will be very hard and expensive since the figure 8 capsules are far rarer, or maybe just go with the K7 and buy a headbasket for it.
Old 17th August 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburg58 View Post
There's so many U47 capsule threads up right now.. I have a Telefunken USA U48 with an Theirsch M7 and I love it but they sent me a few capsules before I made a decision. Its so big and warm and lovely and really does that proximity effect thing you'd expect from a mic of its stature... However I recently tried a late 50's 47 with a replacement K47 from the 70's and it even had a Nuvistor and it blew my socks off. It just had this butter about it that I can't describe. I'm thinking of finding a vintage one which will be very hard and expensive since the figure 8 capsules are far rarer, or maybe just go with the K7 and buy a headbasket for it.

hi, i wonder which other capsules they sent you to make your decision.

your Thiersch M7 is Mylar redline or PVC blue line?
Old 18th August 2016
Loving my Thiersch blue line capsule. Performs well, even at high decibel levels when singers let loose. Top end is smooth for days, even when singer gets right up on the pop filter the capsule seems to effortlessly produce a smooth balanced capture. Mixing vocals recorded with the Thiersch M7 Blue Line is a breeze. Consonants and sibilance are handled very well by this capsule. Though my mic is a mod, the blue line is of exceptional quality, and with upgraded electronics and more accurate transformer installed, my mic is now at a level I could never imagine. I am looking forward to hearing the red line soon.
Old 19th August 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseUTB View Post
Loving my Thiersch blue line capsule. Performs well, even at high decibel levels when singers let loose. Top end is smooth for days.I am looking forward to hearing the red line soon.

Yeah , Thiersch PVC blue line is wonderfull , i used a U87AI (mylar) and i never knew why people talk so much good things about PVC capsules till i try the Thiersch blue line.

before i bought my Flea U47 i bought a Blackspade UM17R and they offer both Thiersch M7, red line and blue line, and from what they told me, Red line is a little bit brighter and harder sound in the highs, and blue line less brighter and more detailed /delicate in the highs (vintage/ silky) so i chose blue line for both, my Flea U47 and Blackspade , no regrets
Old 19th August 2016
Quote:
Yeah , Thiersch PVC blue line is wonderfull , i used a U87AI (mylar) and i never knew why people talk so much good things about PVC capsules till i try the Thiersch blue line.

before i bought my Flea U47 i bought a Blackspade UM17R and they offer both Thiersch M7, red line and blue line, and from what they told me, Red line is a little bit brighter and harder sound in the highs, and blue line less brighter and more detailed /delicate in the highs (vintage/ silky) so i chose blue line for both, my Flea U47 and Blackspade , no regrets
Blue line is great for me and my clients as well. I would not hesitate to shoot out a red line against it if the opportunity came. Your description of vintage and silky is perfect for Blue line, a magical capsule IMO Can you compare your two wonderful mics in words? Is the Flea that much better than the Blackspade? Which mic gets which duty in your studio?
Old 19th August 2016
Gear Maniac
They both share the same Thiersch M7 PVC capsule, so in the high end they have a similar sound , but magic things happend in the mids. Flea makes vocals flatter with more body and that classic sound everybody likes , while Blackspade is more modern sound. Blackspade is more toward neumann M49 sound, so fits great in female voices , and has a mid bump in 200hz that does not fit my voice and have alot of proximity effect. All in all is a great mic, i like it better than my U87AI and Rode CLassic II . Im selling it because with the Flea U47 with thiersch PVC and beesneez K7 Mylar i think i cover alot of ground. Shure SM7B is a really great mic, i use it alot , im suspriced how good this thing can sound in the mix. Alot of singers that uses U47 also uses SM7B in parallel. (not in the same track or session of course)
Old 20th August 2016
Thanks for the in depth response
Old 22nd August 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseUTB View Post
Thanks for the in depth response
i think, instead of buying the Thiersch Red line Mylar that has a similar sound to the blue line, you should try the Beesneez K7 (k47) mylar capsule , so you will have both U47 classic neumann capsules clones.

Beesneez K7 sounds wonderfull ! i tryed my first recording with it and i didn´t need to use deeser , even with my both pultec EQP1-A in chain boosting at 5khz and 12khz after my 1176 blue stripe comp.

Very highly recomended !!!
Old 22nd August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
i think, instead of buying the Thiersch Red line Mylar that has a similar sound to the blue line, you should try the Beesneez K7 (k47) mylar capsule , so you will have both U47 classic neumann capsules clones.

Beesneez K7 sounds wonderfull ! i tryed my first recording with it and i didn´t need to use deeser , even with my both pultec EQP1-A in chain boosting at 5khz and 12khz after my 1176 blue stripe comp.

Would you still care to post some files ? That would be great !
Old 25th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks for your kind words. We really do love the K7. It's the closest thing you'll ever hear to the Original early Neumann capsules.

Cheers.
Old 27th August 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by mics View Post
Thanks for your kind words. We really do love the K7. It's the closest thing you'll ever hear to the Original early Neumann capsules.

Cheers.

Yeah , thanks Ben for your great customer support on this wonderfull capsule, im enjoying it alot in my U47. Top notch !!!

cheers from Peru
Old 28th August 2016
Quote:

Interesting, the early Neumann capsules were m7's that were pvc, which was then switched to kk47 with Mylar circa 1958 ( link below ). It seems that the beezneez k7 capsule is a hybrid between the m7 and kk47, their website also states a more in depth description explaining the hybrid capsule.

Archive - U47, which capsule: m7 or k47
Old 28th August 2016
Lives for gear

The discussion in the link dates from 2003. Klaus got (even) more precise after that. From the back of my head, the change from M7 to K47 took place about halfway 1959. But he'll correct me if I'm wrong. And the last year or so for the M7 may actually have been in Neumann's Mylar era.

Anyway, it was never a static thing, of course. Especially companies like Neumann were constantly developing, evolving, finetuning etc. And there's a lot to finetune when it comes to capsules. So there'll be some deliberate differences between M7 as well as K47 years and runs. Plus there'll be non-deliberate differences within the same run. Tolerances at Neumann were and are relatively tight, though.

Comparing the BeesNeez K7 to one single Neumann capsule specimen doesn't necessarily make sense. In other words, I don't think there's one, ultimate original K47. Or M7 for that matter. But somehow the Bees Neez K7 seems to capture the essence.
And just by looking at it, we can see it's a K47-style first and foremost.
Old 28th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post
And the last year or so for the M7 may actually have been in Neumann's Mylar era.
Do you mean that Neumann may have produced some M7s with Mylar membrane ?
Old 28th August 2016
Lives for gear

I'm not sure. If so, it would have been a short period at best.
We've had this discussion before, but I'd have to retrieve it.
Hopefully Klaus will chime in.
Old 29th August 2016
Lives for gear

To my knowledge, Neumann never issued any M7 backplates with Mylar® diaphragms.

The phase-out of M7 and phase-in of K47 was gradual - I have records of U47 delivered with M7 as late as 1961, though no K47 predates late 1958.

And what I wrote here, more than ten years ago:

Archive - U47, which capsule: m7 or k47[/QUOTE]

is still correct.

Especially disappointing is the unchanged state of after-market copy capsules. No one has managed so far to emulate an M7 to the point that you would mistake the copy for the original.
Old 30th August 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
To my knowledge, Neumann never issued any M7 backplates with Mylar® diaphragms.

The phase-out of M7 and phase-in of K47 was gradual - I have records of U47 delivered with M7 as late as 1961, though no K47 predates late 1958.

And what I wrote here, more than ten years ago:

Archive - U47, which capsule: m7 or k47

Thanks for the updated clarification!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search