The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AKG BX20 or BX25
Old 26th April 2010
Lives for gear

AKG BX20 or BX25

I have possibility to buy very cheap AKG BX 20 and also BX25.I think I need only one---
what is better for you and what would you choose?
thx for advice
Old 26th April 2010
Lives for gear

There are some obvious things:

1) BX20 is a lot bigger
2) BX20 has shorter springs
3) BX20 are older so the chance of something going south is bigger as some materials deteriorate
4) BX20 look better (subjective)
Old 26th April 2010
Lives for gear

Don't you mean BX20 have longer springs? Or am I somehow confused about the design of the 25?
Old 26th April 2010
Lives for gear

BX 20
Old 26th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcocet View Post
Don't you mean BX20 have longer springs? Or am I somehow confused about the design of the 25?
It is confusing but yes bx25 has longer springs even it is smaller. I trust BX25 manual with that...
Old 26th April 2010
Lives for gear

I believe it, was just wondering.

Never used a BX25, but designwise I know it's more similar to the BX 10 and 15, neither of which I like very much. BX20 is amazing though. I hope the 25 is too as I want one and it would take up less space...
Old 26th April 2010
Lives for gear

Both BX20 and B25 have their springs in cylinders while BX15 has relatively short springs in Z confing (and the same times).

BX25

BX20 photo courtesy of GS - beats workin'

BX15

I've put some photos of the inside of BX25 and some samples here AKG BX25 transport suggestions .

And here is a thread with bx20 samples that made me search all the info and buy one Compare a real AKG BX20E to Altiverb 6.0 .
Attached Thumbnails
AKG BX20 or BX25-bx20-2.jpg   AKG BX20 or BX25-bx15revsystem.jpg  
Old 26th April 2010
Here for the gear

Both!
Old 26th April 2010
Gear Head

If you have the budget, they're cheap enough and both units are working, I'd buy both.
I've seen the price at least double since I bought my BX10 and BX20. Make sure they are working well and transport them carefully, preferably upright.
Be aware that parts may not be available and finding someone who is knowledgeable about repairing them is very difficult, at least here in the States. The electronics are pretty straightforward and should be easily repairable. The springs are another matter and quite complicated. I have a friend with a BX20 that apparently has developed a short in a small coil of what looks like transformer wire and no replacement parts can be found, rendering one channel unusable. My units work great and they sound wonderful, but there's a down side to vintage gear.
Old 17th June 2010
Lives for gear

I have a BX25 and it's an absolute GEM. I prefer it to the BX20. Compact but sounds more like a real room to me (in a nice way)
Old 10th October 2010
Gear Head

I also have a BX25 and agree with David. It is one of my 'go to' pieces of equipment. It has the optional delay module as well. Never had a Bx-20 so I can't really compare. I'm sure BX-20 owners will be as enthusiastic about their units as I am mine. I think the BX-25 is more difficult to come by?
Old 10th October 2010
How does the BX10 compare to the BX25, BX15, etc..? I have a beautiful sounding BX10 that has reverb tails that rival a good plate, mind you it's definitely springier sounding toward the beginning of the decay.
Old 12th January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha View Post
Both BX20 and B25 have their springs in cylinders while BX15 has relatively short springs in Z confing (and the same times).

BX25

BX20 photo courtesy of GS - beats workin'

BX15

I've put some photos of the inside of BX25 and some samples here AKG BX25 transport suggestions .

And here is a thread with bx20 samples that made me search all the info and buy one Compare a real AKG BX20E to Altiverb 6.0 .
That´s why i like GS so much , great info´s with cool pics !

Thank´s !thumbsup
Old 18th October 2012
Gear Nut

AKG BX-25 Service Manual

Could anyone help out please? I'm after a copy of the service manual for my BX-25 - a scan or photocopy would be much appreciated (I've searched online without any luck). Thanks
Old 4th November 2012
Here for the gear

bx25 manual

BX 25 (Discontinued)
Old 14th November 2012
Here for the gear

Akg BX20

Hi
I am interested in buying a Akg bx20 and i'm looking someone who understands the akg
I researched but I have a question about the difference in the models.
What difference between bx20e akg, akg akg bxe1 and bx20L?
I have also seen between these two variants one with 3.5 and another with 4.5 sec.
If you are kind enough to answer me, I'm very concerned about it.
Thank you very much!

Albert
Old 26th November 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassbully View Post
Thanks for that: I'd searched, but not found it. Much appreciated!
Old 10th June 2013
Gear Nut

The link's down - here's the BX-25 manual
Old 13th June 2013
Here for the gear

Thanks ainternational.

Don't suppose anyone has the manual for the optional M250 delay unit? It is not included in the standard manual schematics.
Old 28th March 2018
Here for the gear

See-through BX20L

I don't know how many of these were made - possibly one? But it gives a good indication of the innards of the BX20.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search