The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hand Crafted Lab Tube micamp and compressor, Blind test against 1176,v72,ADL and more Condenser Microphones
Old 8th September 2006
Lives for gear

We do not cease to be grateful to Guy Sternberg for his excellent independent work and tests. Thanx ones more, Guy, it was professionall,verythumbsup .

During too time we should to note, that after these tests we have released the new version in the end of 2005 - s2, which has incorporated the best from the first version, and has got Hard/Soft mode, and last improvement - dual mode output stage - pure A class or cascode AB driver, like at LA2. These modes can be switched by switch installed on the rear panel. Now we use more often 6N5P(soviet) and ECC85 tubes in the 1/2 and 3 stages accordingly. Data sheets links for these tubes are placed on ours web-site in s2 description.

As to s2 on the buss application - as some clients informed us that use s2 sometimes in such way. On some musical material it sounds well though we also adhere to opinion, that it certainly put taste, adjustments and the conceived effect in a musical material. It is difficult for describing any common opinion for everything, evidently. Personally,we think,that optodevices is good first of all for classical, jazz,rock,heavy,if we talk about buss applications...ye, with 2-3 db compession, or without it even, in fact tubes has some own compression as well, due to features of curve volt-amper characteristic.

TornadoTed (see below) - has ordered 4 devices in one order, for example.
Old 14th September 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benmrx View Post
This HCL stuff seems too good to be true. The 2 channel preamp, compressor, and the ch. strip have got me drooling.
I was just thinking the same thing, most times when something looks too good to be true it is. In this case I would be happy to find out that assumption is wrong...... but......

heh

Quote:
I'm just curious if anyone's got any more reviews, especially the compressor.

Same here. Anyone else try out the Solution s2 comp yet?
Old 14th September 2006
Lives for gear

More reviews are presented onto our web-site, and User List. And here,see below,lowswing,of course,....Tornado Ted, Synthy,s-boogie,Meg Lee Chin....
Old 15th September 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandCrafted Lab View Post
More reviews are presented onto our web-site, and User List. And here,see below,lowswing,of course,....Tornado Ted, Synthy,s-boogie,Meg Lee Chin....
Thanks...

So how long is the wait for a Solution s2?

Anyone else care to comment on the Solution s2?
Old 17th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new View Post
Thanks...

So how long is the wait for a Solution s2?
Usual manufacturing time,and tuning/testing is ~ 3 weeks, after our confirmation of order possibility performing,on this or that time (it depend from plan of existing preliminary orders). Average delivery time to Europe/UK,USA ~ 10-12 days by aviapost.
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Maniac

any further testing / A-B's on HCL's stuff?

I'd love to see a blind vocal mic pre A-B with the Affinity A2 vs the GR MP-2NV vs the API vs ??

i've been very seriously considering going with both an Affinity and a Faust - they seem to be top notch quality with a price you can't beat - and albert tells me he is offering a discount if you buy 2 or more of their products.
Old 13th April 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCL Trading View Post
@ everybody:

please also visit our tests against SPL & RME preamps:
www.hcl-trading.de.vu
I recommend the Dobro guitar recordings stike

Cheers,
HCL Trading
HI! Do you have a new webside that that works? I will know more from HCL Germany.
Thanks
Robert
Old 13th April 2007
Lives for gear

the link is in his sig
Old 13th April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
HI! Do you have a new webside that that works? I will know more from HCL Germany.
Thanks
Robert
No, it was in past. We accept all orders directly and send devices to customers individuall as well though we are acting in such way from start of an our activity.
Old 25th August 2010
Gear Addict

still in love with my varis..... maybe its even getting better month after month....
Old 25th August 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobAcid View Post
still in love with my varis..... maybe its even getting better month after month....
same here...! (...hi rob...)
Old 25th August 2010
Deleted #8726
Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Peh View Post
Another satisfied owner of the VariS here.
Old 30th August 2010
Lives for gear

My God, ouch.... such old thread..... guys....

So, VARISes coming ..... ups-ups-ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobAcid View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Peh View Post
Hmm...... what? better?
We need to listen too, so we shall assemble new piece for itself and will listen this piece after half-year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fez View Post
Another satisfied owner of the VariS here.
Denis!
Old 7th March 2011
Gear Nut

hey slutz,

i am the guy you can hear play and sing on the shootout at the beginning of this thread.

since then a lot has happened. first i lost the terrible cold i had at the day of the shootout that still makes me shiver every time i hear the vocal files.
then, two years ago, i built myself a studio. besides my usual work as guitar player, singer and composer i am now also producing and recording bands, commercials, my own songs and guitars for movies and records.
after the great experiences with hand crafted labs gear we all had during the shootout i contacted albert from hcl and ordered myself an affinity preamp, a solution compressor and a faust mic.

besides all the hcl gear i have some other top notch and well discussed stuff in my rack (among others avedis ma-5 -pair-, a-designs p-1 -pair-, chandler germanium 500, shadow hills mono gama, universal audio ua 610 solo, anamod am 660 and purple action (pair)).
after having worked with all of these devices for a longer period of time i am still positively thrilled by the quality and sound of the affinity preamp and solution compressor:

most of the time the affinity preamp has been my first choice on overheads, acoustic guitar, bass, clean electric guitar and basically every other source that sounds good by itself and should remain sounding natural.
if it was not the preamp i chose in the end it is pretty sure that the affinity scored a good second place, which i can not say about any other pre i own.
it has a very natural and musical way of amplifing the source, staying true but making it sound rich and expensive nonetheless. the more intimate and natural things have to sound, the more i can be sure that the affinity will be the pre i choose in the end. the d.i. input is also superb and the price is just simply amazing.

the hcl solution is my go-to tracking compressor. i may switch to a vari-mu or fet-sound if i want some other color for a change, but nine out of ten times the solution is in my recording chain, set to very light peak reduction and just making things sound "better". note that the solution comp has been improved since the shootout (among others the attack time can be set to being faster now). and added to that the guys at hcl made me a special modification in comparison to the regular models: i have a switcheable sidechain filter on the front which i use extensively during recording. thumbs up!

a few days after the faust microphone arrived at my studio i had to lend it to siger that also is a very good friend of mine. she loved it so much that i never got it back since, which is a good sign in terms of the quality of this mic, i suppose...
all i can say is that it suits her voice very good indeed and that its fabrication is top notch, not even considering the great price point.

some soundfiles:
here is a live recording of one of my songs the above mentioned singer friend and me did together (first song of the examples). one room, three mikes, nearly no afterwards-treatment. faust as vocal mike, affinity pre and solution comp on guitar.
nude . zwei sitztänzer

this is my new record, it has hcl written all over it, especially on overheads, acoustic instruments and bass.
the first song on the playlist (same song as in the link above) uses the affinity pre on acoustic guitar, overheads, cellos, toypiano and glockenspiel and the solution comp on just about everything while being tracked.
FICUS & THE DEVICE | Berlin, DE | Alternative / Singer/Songwriter / Pop | Music, Lyrics, Songs, and Videos | ReverbNation

i also want to mention that i have experienced an amazing costumer service at hcl.
albert is a great guy to deal with and does all he can to satisfy his clients.

greetings,

johannes
Old 8th March 2011
Gear Maniac

++1!

I just love my affinity a2!
It can sound so intimate but makes everything sound huge at the same time!

The solution s2 I have not heard YET :-)
But I heard a lot of good things about it...

Plus I can confirm - the support from Albert and his team is awesome!
Old 12th March 2011
Gear Addict

Very Nice
Old 13th March 2011
Gear Addict

hello,
which cadac was used on vocals?
thanks
Old 14th March 2011
Gear Nut

that was easy because it´s written in the first post...

Cadac g268 is the answer.

cheers, johannes
Old 7th September 2014
Here for the gear
Vu troubles

I bought a Solution S this year. Nice sound, really. Good price.
But the Vu-Meters are real bull****. It's a cheap chinese model.
They move too fast, not the same way on the two channels. I wrote a lot to HCL : no real after sale service : "maybe it's the shipping, you can send it back".
But if it's the shupping, the trouble won't be solved.
A friend of mine bought a Solution S two months ago : same trouble with the Vu.
They are very fragile and shoddy.
and the same answer fro HCL : "Maybe the shipping".
Well I own a lot of sound devices (Manley, Neve, SSL, Avalon, Tube-Tech...) and the Vus are working, day after day, year after year.
So, the first and last experience.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search