The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lexicon PCM 92 - Yes/No?
View Poll Results: Is the Lexicon PCM92 a good purchase?
Yes
76 Votes - 63.33%
No
44 Votes - 36.67%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26th January 2015
  #151
Lives for gear
 
mixerguy's Avatar
I was just listening to the PCM 92 over at Zen Pro Clipilator... and it sounded ... Lexicon (duh) but in a good way.



I see the debate rages, on various GS threads.... as to whether the Lexicon plugins (that I actually already own) sound as good as the hardware PCM 92.

Old 26th January 2015
  #152
Gear Nut
 

Well, it's the exact same algorithm, so they will sound the same. Any variation would have to be in the individual setup.
Old 26th January 2015
  #153
Lives for gear
 
DarkSky Media's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzSax_UT View Post
Well, it's the exact same algorithm, so they will sound the same. Any variation would have to be in the individual setup.
Or in the converters, or in the analog i/o stages, or in the implementation of the algorithm...

I don't have the PCM92. However I do have a PCM96 and I also have the Lexicon PCM Plugin suite. They sound similar, but not *identical*.
Old 26th January 2015
  #154
Lives for gear
 
ISedlacek's Avatar
In these days, to use HW digital reverb units sounds a bit obsolete and uncomfortable to me, while basically the same sound can be reach by plugins, that offer incomparably better comfort and flexibility comparing to HW units (all that recording of reverb tracks in real time, tweaking some buttons, limited number of reverb instances etc. ..)

At times when computers were not so powerful, to have a standalone DSP unit made sense, but it is not the case today. When Lexicon, Valhalla, Exponential Audio etc. reverbs are available that are in pair with the best reverb units of the past, why to look for some boxes ...

Lexicon reverb algorithms should be identical in plugins and HW. If the difference is caused by using analogue I/O, you can use any external mediocre AD DA to reach the same effect (spoiling the sound slightly by not so good converters) ))
Old 26th January 2015
  #155
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek View Post
In these days, to use HW digital reverb units sounds a bit obsolete and uncomfortable to me, while basically the same sound can be reach by plugins, that offer incomparably better comfort and flexibility comparing to HW units (all that recording of reverb tracks in real time, tweaking some buttons, limited number of reverb instances etc. ..)

At times when computers were not so powerful, to have a standalone DSP unit made sense, but it is not the case today. When Lexicon, Valhalla, Exponential Audio etc. reverbs are available that are in pair with the best reverb units of the past, why to look for some boxes ...

Lexicon reverb algorithms should be identical in plugins and HW. If the difference is caused by using analogue I/O, you can use any external mediocre AD DA to reach the same effect (spoiling the sound slightly by not so good converters) ))
Some of us are actually still using analog consoles and hardware reverbs are at least IMO easier to use in this situation. Besides that, you don't have problems with licenses, OS compatibility, save some inputs/outputs, I can also change the presets directly from the console's computer via MIDI.
Old 26th January 2015
  #156
The PCM92 has some gorgeous reverbs. I'm not sure if I would buy it vs. the Lexicon bundle if sound is the ONLY criteria (the plug-ins are also good), my workflow requires hardware effects in addition to software plug-ins, and the PCM92 works wonders. There is no global wet/dry mix, however, so you pretty much need to use it in an effects loop from your daw or mixer. That works fine, but I wish it had the flexibility of the Eventide rack units.
Old 4th February 2015
  #157
Gear Addict
 

4.5 years later no problems yet. Still over $1000.00 used doesnt look like it will go lower and this may be because its a great sounding reverb. I'll say its a steal compared to others out there.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Onion View Post
I think I'll wait.

By the sounds of it, the PCM92 will be going for $750 by this time next year.

In the meantime, does anybody own a PCM92 and like it? More than a PCM70?
Old 3rd May 2015
  #158
Here for the gear
 

Lexicon Native Reverb Bundle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Onion View Post
Some people are trying to tell me that the new Lexicon PCM native bundle computer plug-ins software sounds better than the PCM92 hardware.

I have a hard time believing this. Not possible.

Some guys were saying that they sold their PCM70's and 300L's and 480L's right after trying the new Lexicon plug-in native bundle.

What's up with this?
Well I've tried the Lexicon PCM Native Reverb Bundle and I have always been a Lexicon fan, but honestly? I felt that the reverb plug in was too clean it didn't have the warm Lexicon tail that I always loved. I'm thinking of trying the PCM92. Right now I use UAD's version of the 224 which I like a lot.
Old 3rd May 2015
  #159
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by vocals07 View Post
Well I've tried the Lexicon PCM Native Reverb Bundle and I have always been a Lexicon fan, but honestly? I felt that the reverb plug in was too clean it didn't have the warm Lexicon tail that I always loved. I'm thinking of trying the PCM92. Right now I use UAD's version of the 224 which I like a lot.
Not sure how UAD's 224 sounds but I have a Lexicon 224 and it is fabulous. I also have a PCM 96 and Bricasti. All of these units are very different sounding. I haven't tried the Lexicon Native plugins but there was a LexiVerb PT plugin which they did in the late 90s. It was pretty cool. I recall they had some reverb programs specifically for Rave music [called "Rave"], which was all the rave back then. The only gripe I have with the PCM 96 is that the program names are very unimaginative and dull. I require hardware verbs because I mix with a console.
Old 3rd May 2015
  #160
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldie wave View Post
Not sure how UAD's 224 sounds but I have a Lexicon 224 and it is fabulous. I also have a PCM 96 and Bricasti. All of these units are very different sounding. I haven't tried the Lexicon Native plugins but there was a LexiVerb PT plugin which they did in the late 90s. It was pretty cool. I recall they had some reverb programs specifically for Rave music [called "Rave"], which was all the rave back then. The only gripe I have with the PCM 96 is that the program names are very unimaginative and dull. I require hardware verbs because I mix with a console.

I've heard incredible things about the Bricasti. I have an impulse response library of the M7 but I'm sure this doesn't compare to having the actual piece. I appreciate the input I'll probably wait and in the near future just grab the Bricasti and be done with my reverb collection. Then again, it's never enough!!
Old 3rd May 2015
  #161
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by vocals07 View Post
I've heard incredible things about the Bricasti. I have an impulse response library of the M7 but I'm sure this doesn't compare to having the actual piece. I appreciate the input I'll probably wait and in the near future just grab the Bricasti and be done with my reverb collection. Then again, it's never enough!!
The Bricasti is a great choice. It is also a good investment because it is current and new programs are being developed with the version 3 software that will be released at some point in the near future.

I also have the IR library but stopped using it after getting the real thing. The Bricasti M7 is wonderful. I recently used the NonLin program on drums to create that 80s Tears for Fears drum sound. The clients loved it.
Old 3rd May 2015
  #162
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldie wave View Post
The Bricasti is a great choice. It is also a good investment because it is current and new programs are being developed with the version 3 software that will be released at some point in the near future.

I also have the IR library but stopped using it after getting the real thing. The Bricasti M7 is wonderful. I recently used the NonLin program on drums to create that 80s Tears for Fears drum sound. The clients loved it.

Ya that totally makes sense. I'm sure the real Bricasti M7 blows these impulse responses out of the water. Being I'm primarily a Singer, I will definitely be buying that in the near future.
Old 4th May 2015
  #163
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by vocals07 View Post
Ya that totally makes sense. I'm sure the real Bricasti M7 blows these impulse responses out of the water. Being I'm primarily a Singer, I will definitely be buying that in the near future.
There are some lovely presets for vocals on the M7. Used in combination with a delay you will have world class vocal FX.

I generally use a TC 2290/ Lexicon PCM 41 delay along with it.

On Version 3 there will be a AMS RMX-16 Ambience program among many other exciting programs.

Before owning the real deal I tried the IRs. They pale in comparison with the real deal.
Old 4th May 2015
  #164
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldie wave View Post
There are some lovely presets for vocals on the M7. Used in combination with a delay you will have world class vocal FX.

I generally use a TC 2290/ Lexicon PCM 41 delay along with it.

On Version 3 there will be a AMS RMX-16 Ambience program among many other exciting programs.

Before owning the real deal I tried the IRs. They pale in comparison with the real deal.


Wow!! I'll bet this sounds incredible on vocals. You know, me and my friend who writes and produces with me are constantly arguing about having a great reverb. He says its only a reverb, I say no its not. There aren't many reverbs that set themselves apart from everyone else. There are a few that come to my mind. My all time favorite the 480L, the TC 6000,and now the Bricasti M7.
After all a Singer only has his voice, a good mic, and an outstanding clean reverb.
Old 4th May 2015
  #165
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by vocals07 View Post
Wow!! I'll bet this sounds incredible on vocals. You know, me and my friend who writes and produces with me are constantly arguing about having a great reverb. He says its only a reverb, I say no its not. There aren't many reverbs that set themselves apart from everyone else. There are a few that come to my mind. My all time favorite the 480L, the TC 6000,and now the Bricasti M7.
After all a Singer only has his voice, a good mic, and an outstanding clean reverb.
The 480L actually is my all time favourite reverb but the M7 is no slouch. It is a keeper. I am looking so forward to getting the V3 software when it is released purely out of curiosity. I've never heard a TC6000 but was contemplating getting one before I settled on the H8000FW after hearing Mathias's demo.

The predelay settings on the M7 are very good and come in handing at times. There is also software for changing the presets from your DAW.

The only other thing you possibly will need (beside a hardware delay or plugin, good mic, preamp and compressor) is a good harmonizer plugin for thickening. I use the microshift, dual H910, AMS DMX-1580 and doubler presets on the H8000FW but you can achieve the same kind of thing with a pitch shifting plugin.

One thing I do not use is autotune. I insist the vocalists I record redo takes that don't hit the nail.

Last edited by waldie wave; 4th May 2015 at 01:24 PM..
Old 4th May 2015
  #166
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldie wave View Post
The 480L actually is my all time favourite reverb but the M7 is no slouch. It is a keeper. I am looking so forward to getting the V3 software when it is released purely out of curiosity. I've never heard a TC6000 but was contemplating getting one before I settled on the H8000FW after hearing Mathias's demo.

The predelay settings on the M7 are very good and come in handing at times. There is also software for changing the presets from your DAW.

The only other thing you possibly will need (beside a hardware delay or plugin, good mic, preamp and compressor) is a good harmonizer plugin for thickening. I use the microshift, dual H910, AMS DMX-1580 and doubler presets on the H8000FW but you can achieve the same kind of thing with a pitch shifting plugin.

One thing I do not use is autotune. I insist the vocalists I record redo takes that don't hit the nail.
Oh ok, well that makes sense, most of the time I'm pretty close maybe a little sharp but then again your right cause back in the day there were no pitch correcting programs you just kept redoing it until it was perfect.
Old 5th May 2015
  #167
Gear Maniac
 

Late to the party, but check my sig. A Bricasti and 2 PCM92's. The Bricasti is the best sounding reverb I have ever used. I use it through the AES ports and it's stellar. The PCM92's sound great too. They are more programmable than the Bricasti which is why I bought 2. I like the modulation algo's in them. I also use them via the AES ports, so I don't know how good or not the converters are. On the halls and rooms, the tails sound harsher or more metallic than the Bricasti. The lows sound a bit fluttery. You can play with the parameters if you have the time and get them to sound 'better'.

If you need a hardware verb and don't have the scratch for a Bricasti IMHO a PCM92 is a good choice. I haven't heard or worked with the plugs so I can't vouch for them.

Did I mention the Bricasti sounds great... Halls -> Saint Sylvain... lush as a rain forest.

For ITB I have Reverberate and for an algo I use Valhalla Room, was my goto verb until I bought the Bricasti, but I still use it.
Old 5th May 2015
  #168
Gear Addict
 
synthetic's Avatar
 

I have a Bricasti M7, PCM96 Surround, Lex Native everything, Valhalla everything. The Bricasti is my favorite but the PCM96S is a close #2 . It sounds deeper than the Lex Native plug-ins to me, more space "behind the speakers." I run the PCM96S in dual stereo mode so I get two stereo "machines" like a 480. I like the Bricasti for longer stuff like halls but the PCM96S does small spaces better, plates sound more like a plate, and it has other effects like PCM80 chorus and delay as well.

IMO the more I use hardware, the less my mix sounds bunched up at the front of the speakers and starts to get some depth.
Old 6th May 2015
  #169
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthetic View Post
I have a Bricasti M7, PCM96 Surround, Lex Native everything, Valhalla everything. The Bricasti is my favorite but the PCM96S is a close #2 . It sounds deeper than the Lex Native plug-ins to me, more space "behind the speakers." I run the PCM96S in dual stereo mode so I get two stereo "machines" like a 480. I like the Bricasti for longer stuff like halls but the PCM96S does small spaces better, plates sound more like a plate, and it has other effects like PCM80 chorus and delay as well.

IMO the more I use hardware, the less my mix sounds bunched up at the front of the speakers and starts to get some depth.
Thanks for the info, I'm going with a Bricasti most likely but like I say as good as all these plug ins are I definitely feel that having at least one great hardware piece will definitely give me what I feel that some of the plug ins can't.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
TMI / Geekslutz Forum
73
88fingerz / So Much Gear, So Little Time
24
DrFrankencopter / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
Dirty Gear Pimp / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0

Forum Jump
Forum Jump