The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Darkening the Manley Reference Cardioid - any ideas? Condenser Microphones
Old 27th April 2010
Lives for gear

sounds like you're really needing to hear the sound of 2"
Old 27th April 2010
Gear Maniac

Bae 1272

If you are looking to keep the Manley, a BAE 1272 pre will definitely darken it

Dave/Suspect Studios

www.suspectstudios.com
Old 27th April 2010
I'm confused by the comment that says Manley claims it sounds like a U47.. that doesn't seem right.

Ref C with NOS Tele tube in it is my main vocal mic.

From my (limited) experience, I wouldn't find it seems too much like a U47.

I extensively used a Soundelux E47c (a clone of sorts, I believe, not an "inspired by" type of mic).. so yes, my experience is limited, but I still think that sounds very odd that someone (especially Manley themselves?!) said it sounds like a U47
Old 27th April 2010
Gear Head

Grid shunt?

Here's the "confusing" Manley blurb about U47:

"...With the similar film thickness and construction, similar high frequency resonance (a little edge), similar proximity effect and pretty good immunity from pops and sibilance problems, our Reference Cardioid more closely recalls how many of the vintage European tube mics such as the beloved U47 sounded like when they were new. Its rich tonal balance and liquid character is consistently admired for instruments such as guitars, drum overheads, saxophone, and especially vocals."

Manley_Reference_Cardioid_Tube_Microphone

The thing about the Manley is it's super bright but it's also not sibilant or harsh. Most U47s nowadays probably don't sound like what they did back in the day, but it's hard to imagine they were that bright.

Eric Greedy - haha we're actually mixing to a Studer cassette deck. And the Manley is still to bright, unless we go heavy on the Dolby.
Old 27th April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinups View Post
Here's the "confusing" Manley blurb about U47:

"...With the similar film thickness and construction, similar high frequency resonance (a little edge), similar proximity effect and pretty good immunity from pops and sibilance problems, our Reference Cardioid more closely recalls how many of the vintage European tube mics such as the beloved U47 sounded like when they were new. Its rich tonal balance and liquid character is consistently admired for instruments such as guitars, drum overheads, saxophone, and especially vocals."

Manley_Reference_Cardioid_Tube_Microphone

The thing about the Manley is it's super bright but it's also not sibilant or harsh. Most U47s nowadays probably don't sound like what they did back in the day, but it's hard to imagine they were that bright.
Thanks for finding that. I was more trolling for you to do the work for me, than accusing your of posting falsities.

Actually, I do find the U47 type mics I've heard and used to often be bright on some degree. But, in a pleasant way, not the nasty brightness people often associate with the word. Not harsh.
Old 27th April 2010
Lives for gear

I think that's the key, the subjectivity of 'bright'. The U47 Tube's I have heard, the new copies and clones, the 'inspired by' mics. They share what seems to be a forwardness in those high mids and the low highs. This brings vocals forward in a way that isn't always suitable to the source. It's not 'air'. Many may perceive extra 2-3 khz as 'bright', many may think in terms of 12 khz. Myself, I like flat mids and some smooth extension above 10 khz.

Not really a 'scoop' as much as not having bumps, intentional or otherwise, in those mids. If I want something to stand out in the mix, like an important vocal, I'd rather take out what's hiding that with subtractive EQ, on other elements. There are singers I've worked with who seem to have a 'scooped' sound naturally. They'd benefit from that kind of curve. Others maybe not. It's probably why I'm a bigger fan of the ELAM sound than the U47 sound.
Old 27th April 2010
Lives for gear

why do we suggest this poor guy to buy a 3grand preamp to darken a mic that doesn't work for him??? this place is getting absurd.....get another mic and be happy.
Old 28th April 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
garymusic - funny you mentioned the AKG C414, that's the next mic on our list.
If you do, get a pair because it is a very useful mic. TLII (gold grill, older model) worked for me as I got a second one. I like the Avalon VT-737SP mic pre. I think they are just a match made in heaven. I just bump a bit in the high end with the Avalon.

Gary
Old 24th May 2014
Lives for gear

do you guys know if having a manley near speakers while making beats can damage the diaphragm...Always wanted to ask this...
Old 25th May 2014
Lives for gear

Always thought that mic was to way too bright.
At least for my tastes.
Id either add the lpf or sell it.
Shouldnt have to go thru a special pre and converter to make it dull enough for you to like it.
Old 25th May 2014
Gear Addict

I have the ref c, an old U87 and a geffel 691 with UM70 capsule. I use the UM70 99% of the time. It works where ever a U87 does but I prefer it almost every time - as do my clients. Plus they are less expensive and if you get an M70 capsule you have an amazing small diaphragm as well for $200 more. My 2 cents.
Old 2nd February 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mics View Post
To Shunt that mic, you will need to place a 300 - 600pf film cap between plate and ground on the tube. it would take about 5 minutes to do. the higher value the cap, the earlier the roll off ie darker.

cheers
I'm from another country - so I'm having a hard time translating the technical terms. Could you be a little more specific - just as you talking to a moron - how do i shunt my mic - I really need this information!!!!! Please!
Old 2nd February 2017
Here for the gear

[QUOTE=tguy;5346462]Yes, this helped it and I use it all of the time (no plans on selling it and it gets used more than the U87). Keep in mind, I use the Ref C when I want that modern sound though. But stock, it was just a little too bright for me. Now its perfect. Still bright but not over the top. I think it also helped some sibilance issues as well. The EletroHarmonix tubes are quiet and have loads of gain, but they are on the bright side.

Quote:
tguy - did you keep the Manley after the initial brightness issues?

salomonander - It's hard to audition vocal mics without having it in your own setup because so much depends on the room, mic pre, singer, even convertors. Ever since we got our Lavry convertor everything sounded different too. The only mics I've ever seriously liked when auditioning at studios are old Neumanns mics. But with a budget of $1500-1800 it's not easy to get a nice one.[/QUOTE
I'm from another country - so I'm having a hard time translating the technical terms. Could you be a little more specific - just as you talking to a moron - how do i shunt my mic - I really need this information!!!!! Please!
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

A shunt, in this case, is going to be a capacitor to ground. If you don't understand the concept, I would not attempt surgery on your mic. A shunt is an extremely basic electrical circuit. If you don't know this, something tells me that you want somebody else to work on your mic.
Old 5th February 2017
I usually reach for the Amtec PEQ-10 in this instance. it has the expanded center HF attenuation, 5,10,20,40 kHz band. That usually dims the light pretty good. Plus you can add some back with the 10K shelf to balance it out more. The Manley mic has some teeth in the upper mids. Its pretty crispy sounding

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search