The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
To ProTools or not to ProTools Digital Converters
Old 11th November 2005
To ProTools or not to ProTools

Okay I have an Apogee AD-16X and a Lynx AES16 card. I am thinking of making the big jump to a HD system and I hear that you can use the AD-16X with ProTools directy now, is this true and how can you make that happen? I would assume I wold have to scrap the AES16 card and get an X-HD Card from Apogee right?

Is it stable? Also I have been out of the ProTools game for a few years, what exactly would I need to make this work and about how much would it cost?

Thanks for any and all answers in advance!

thumbsup
Old 11th November 2005
Lives for gear

I was in your shoes last month. Had the Lynx and was using Logic. But when they announced PTHD7, I knew I could do all I needed on PT. Now I'm on HD3 version 7 and I really love it. Stable as hell for a new update, which is impressive. Low latency, incredible for mixing. Sell your Lynx on eBay, you'll get good money for it. Call Apogee, get the PT card for your converter, then you'll be golden. Good luck thumbsup
Old 11th November 2005
Lives for gear

As I do only tracking, editing and partially submixing in DAW, I switched from PT to Nuendo. Never looked back. Stability, simplicity, improved workflow, cheaper plug-ins, sound (if it counts in DAWs at all). Satisfied 100%.
But your decision might depend on many factors.
Also, I never liked Logic, never.
Old 11th November 2005
Thanks guys.

I guess my thing is I have been working on ProTools for years and years, it just works for me but that could be because I am just so used to it. I can FLY in ProTools because it is a simple interface and I have a tone of expereince with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetness
I was in your shoes last month. Had the Lynx and was using Logic. But when they announced PTHD7, I knew I could do all I needed on PT. Now I'm on HD3 version 7 and I really love it. Stable as hell for a new update, which is impressive. Low latency, incredible for mixing. Sell your Lynx on eBay, you'll get good money for it. Call Apogee, get the PT card for your converter, then you'll be golden. Good luck thumbsup
So what do I need to run ProTools from the Digidesign hardware side? I guess I just need a HD Core card and software right?

Oh, and I have a DAC-1 for monitoring, that could be a problem. How would I monitor off the HD Core card with the DAC-1? I can't.... or can I? If I can't what other solutions are out there?

How much are we talking street to use my AD-16X and DAC-1 (or something else) with ProTools? I have the computer already.

Thanks again.
Old 2nd September 2007
Here for the gear

SONAR
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

depending on which computer you're using, you'll need core or core accel to start with.

so the rough estimate will be:

-software: $200
-core card: $7500
-X-HD card (for AD16x): $550

you'll be monitoring via AES output of AD16x into DAC-1.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

This post is years old...
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew.sawicki View Post
This post is years old...
History Always Repeats Itself
Old 3rd September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscstudios1 View Post
SONAR
You trawled through 2 years of posts just to write that?
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
You trawled through 2 years of posts just to write that?
Short, but clearheh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search