The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
akg d19 Dynamic Microphones
Old 10th June 2003
Lives for gear

akg d19

does anyone use it these days (well georg matin did a while a go...)?
is the telefunken d19b (as the one in my hands right now) the same mic?
what is the m/s switch on the mic doing?
thanx
guy
Old 10th June 2003
Gear Maniac

The M/S stands for Music/Speech.
The switch gives a bass rolloff for Speech or close vocal use, flat in the Music position.
You're right, George Martin (or rather his engineers) used them, although that model was the D19C, and it was made by AKG, not Telefunken.
I don't know the difference to the D19B.

BG
Old 11th June 2003
Motown legend

I bought one to check it out. I didn't like it nearly as much as the Electro-Voice mikes that were common here in the US.
Old 11th June 2003
Gear Maniac

AKG 19C

I completly love this mike - it's a great alternative dynamic for vocals - just try it. It has just such a nice open top end for a non condensor. AKG made this mike for Telefunken, there was the b,c, and d involved. Don't know much about the difference though. Anyways - it's really great for close miked speech. Check it out against a U87 and cry! Setting definately on m (like music, s stands for speech and rolls the bass off). I used it as well for bass, very tight, but there is a slight 'canned' sound to the mike...
Robert
Old 22nd August 2003
Gear Maniac

Bump.
Any other opinions on this mic? I'd also be interested to see if anyone knows the difference between the versions.

Regards,

CJM
Old 22nd August 2003
Lives for gear

I have four D19's at home, both of the "C" and "bk/hi" type.
If I get it right, the "bk/hi" ones have a lower impedance (200 ohms). As a matter of fact, they sound a bit less "up-front".
The bitch is that they all sound different due to their age.
I've given up trying to get a "perfect" stereo pair.
But the same goes for grey senn 421's and hell, yes, U67's and the likes.

Anyway, I really love these little suckers - just give them a good front end (a V76 is a beautiful match) and you can use them on virtually anything.

So far, I've had great results on:
- drum OH, toms
- lead and backing vox
- upright piano
- acoustic guitar

The first impression they leave is not flattering, maybe even boring, but they definitely work out in the mix.

my 2 cents.

michael

p.s.: I have my D19's set to "M" all the time.
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Addict

Which would be the closest dynamic out there today to this mic?
i5? 57? 421? m88?
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

I'd say like Senn 421 with sweeter sounding top end.
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

I often pick it over some of the best mics in the world.
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier View Post
I often pick it over some of the best mics in the world.
The mic that works best for your given situation is always the best mic in the world, right??

I'd still love to get a d19 at some point nonetheless...

JP
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Nut

I'm jonesing for one if anybody is looking to cut one loose....
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

They are not unlike a 57.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtie-hIrKHM
Old 8th February 2007
mas
Gear Nut

AKG made those not only for Telefunken but also for AEG, EMT, Grundig, Horny,... the latter ones having another modeldesignation than "D19".
There also was a D19E (with XLR connector).
BTW the AKG D24 is almost identical to the D19 (same capsule), just having a different looking grill.
I have a few of these mics, and those which still work hardly sound alike (but all my D12´s sound different as well...)
Old 26th June 2007
Lives for gear

I have one but can't plug it in due to my not having the correct lead a PC1 i beleive . How do you guys connect yours? Apparently it was the snare mic on the early beatles recordings along with a d20 on the kick and a 4038 overhead.
Old 8th January 2009
Here for the gear

D-19 over SM58

Hello guys, I'm pretty new to recording and my band is due to start rehearsing a set of original songs in a few weeks.

I have a Telefunken D-19 b mic still in it's original box that I can't remember where I got it from. Anyway, as I'm due to start singing soon and I'll need a mic to do that, is it worth giving the D-19 b a whirl or do I buy a Shure SM58 like everyone else? What will the D-19 b do for me that an SM58 wont?

I've seen these D-19 variant mics going for a fair bit of money on Ebay recently, and if I'm not going to actually use it for singing because it's clearly superior to an SM58, then I can't justify keeping it and I'd like to sell it.

Vic.
Old 8th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grote View Post
Hello guys, I'm pretty new to recording and my band is due to start rehearsing a set of original songs in a few weeks.

I have a Telefunken D-19 b mic still in it's original box that I can't remember where I got it from. Anyway, as I'm due to start singing soon and I'll need a mic to do that, is it worth giving the D-19 b a whirl or do I buy a Shure SM58 like everyone else? What will the D-19 b do for me that an SM58 wont?

I've seen these D-19 variant mics going for a fair bit of money on Ebay recently, and if I'm not going to actually use it for singing because it's clearly superior to an SM58, then I can't justify keeping it and I'd like to sell it.

Vic.
I've seen the d19 picked over U67's, KSM44, and a host of other top drawer LDC's - when it works, it's the mic for the job.

My suggestion is - plug it in, sing into it and THEN decide if it's the right match for your voice. Anything else is mere speculation at this point...
Old 8th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlugHead View Post
Anything else is mere speculation at this point...
Or at any point, FTM. heh
Old 8th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowswing View Post
does anyone use it these days (well georg matin did a while a go...)?
is the telefunken d19b (as the one in my hands right now) the same mic?
what is the m/s switch on the mic doing?
thanx
guy
I bought an D-19 on e-bay about 4 months ago and thought I hit the jackpot.....200 Euros whereas D-19 go for about twice as much these.

Unfortunately the mic sounded like ass and after having it checked by a tech the verdict was 'broke', there are no spare parts being manufactered anymore.

So watch out when shopping on e-bay especially, I was also told that the 'c' version is one to get.

The M/S switch is the usual 'music' 'speech' filter that hi-cuts in the 'S' position.

I really would like to hear of a pristine D-19 in action, especially on acoustic guitar. If any Slut could post some examples that would be great!
Old 9th January 2009
Here for the gear

Thanks for the prompt advice guys, I'll give the D19 a go for singing, and get an SM58 to compare.

I just wondered what was special about them that they are so valued. Mine is the b variant with the gold grille instead of mesh, I'm told it's more sought after, would that be purely because of aesthetics?
Old 14th January 2009
Lives for gear

Here's a sample of an AKG D19 in action.

Signal chain:
- AKG d19
- Neumann PV76 preamp, hi pass filter engaged
- Prism Orpeus converters
- Some compression: Waves API 2500 plugin
- normalize
- WAV, 16bit, 44.1kHz

Thanks

Michael
Attached Files

d19_sample_ac_guit.wav (3.60 MB, 18047 views)

Old 14th January 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks for the sample, sounds great! I love that Cat Stevenesque percussive, 'warm' sparkle or however else words fail to describe it.

I just sold my Neumann KM-54 and a D-19 is definitely on my list, though this time I will beware of e-prey.
Old 14th January 2009
Lives for gear

Sent you a PM .... Mark
Old 15th January 2009
Lives for gear

D19s and their variants are pretty cool mics. I have three D19s, a couple D119ES and a D24. I went through several to find these that are in great shape and sound good. Esa Tervala (panman on REP) in Switzerland can do some repairs (depending on parts availability) if you picked one up for cheap but it's clearly broken. But IMO all the hype just because it was in the mic closet at Abbey Road when the Beatles worked there hardly makes it worth the $500-600 they're fetching. There are plenty of vintage dynamic mics out there that sound just as good for a fraction of the cost (the D224E comes to mind).
Old 15th January 2009
Gear Maniac

The D19 has a pretty bright HF response as shown on the attached response plot. That pronounced peak at 12-14KHz gives everything some extra "sparkle". As well as drum O/H, the D19 was used as a general purpose mic at Abbey Road and was often used on piano and acoustic guitar when a bright sound was needed. It was even used as a talkback mic on top of the REDD consoles.
I'm sure it's because of the Beatle connection that it's sought after these days and consequently people have cashed in on the attraction and demanded/paid inflated prices. Bear in mind that Abbey Road only used the D19c variant, with the wire mesh grille, although in the advert below it's referred to as a D19E.
Over the last couple of years I've bought several examples, ranging in appearance from "like new" to "reasonably well used". In a side by side audition there is a noticeable variation in sound, with only a couple being fairly similar. I'm not sure if there was much variation when they were new, but being a cheap mic I suspect there may have been a certain amount of variation even fresh from the factory.
The main fault with the D19 is that the voice coil wire fractures where it leaves the diaphragm assembly. It's a solid copper wire and the constant movement (although tiny) of the diaphragm eventually causes the wire to work harden and then break, resulting in an open circuit voice coil. AKG no longer have any spares, so that's the end of the road. Attempted repairs have been unsuccessful.
Be aware that, even if you have a good example now, you only have temporary ownership, because eventually it will fail because of the above reason.

Original AKG advert for D19E (note they describe it as "for the hobbyist" not a "Professional" microphone):

Sample response plot:

Old 2nd February 2009
Here for the gear

AKG D19 plus Sellers using Name to Sell their Goods

I always seem to have luck finding gems in the rough. I found a AKG-D19E,a older man had one that he barely used,he bought it in the 60's and all he used it for was taping his voice for his school stories(He was public teacher).He is now 70 years old and its been sitting packed away for 35+ years I am going to pick it up this weekend. The frigin thing is brand new.
So after I get it,I will test it and give my two cents on it. I am looking forward to it ,seeing I love collecting old mic,and that D-19 is a very sexy microphone. I've always wanted one but wasn't about to pay the amount some dudes are charging on EBAY. To which bothers me how these sellers use a name to hawk their goods........everytyme I see that D-19 its always marketed as The Beatles Mic!!!!......NO!!! its not the Beatles mic,its nobodies mic,its just a mic used in a studio..........wow, I was just interested it cause like an old car of the day,its the lines,the curves.....Its a Sexy Microphone. I don't care who used it.
Old 2nd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by producer73 View Post
...its been sitting packed away for 35+ years I am going to pick it up this weekend.
Awesome find. Congrats - you'll enjoy it!! thumbsup

Quote:
NO!!! its not the Beatles mic,its nobodies mic,its just a mic used in a studio
Not quite. Actually, it *is* AKGs mic. But I get what you are saying.

The number of people over the years who have sought to cash in in some way on the Beatles phenomenon is legion. I agree that it's sad to see it still going on so many years later.
Old 4th February 2009
Here for the gear

Cheers Mate..........thumbsup
Old 7th February 2010
Gear Head

just bought a D19 E in Mint condition, with original cables and its box... guess what 50 EUR including shipping cant wait to hear it...
Old 7th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cheers Mate..........thumbsup
How you getting on with your Beatle mic?
Old 20th January 2011
Here for the gear

AKG D19 Microphone

In the early 60's I was the sole repair tech for a small custom Hi Fi shop that moved into commecial sound. We were an Altec dealer but also sold AKG mikes, theyu were then distributed by Phillips in the U.S.

I also operated my own location mastering taping service, in my spare time. Bought 5 D19's from the shop for $55.00ea. Did a number of orchestral accompanied records. After deploying my 2 U47's & 2 C37's; I would use the D19's for strings, horns & some percussion as needed. I have tape from that time that still has killer sounding chimes thru a D19.

I would not use one today due to the age factor, brittle diaphragm etc.
It is sad to see people willing to pay up to $500- for what was a great general purpose mike that is no longer able to produce the sound quality it was capable of back then.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search