The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any pro using AKG 414 for vocals ? Condenser Microphones
Old 17th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussB View Post
A real band, real musicians, and one fantastic singer! thumbsup
heh
Not just fantastic...he was FABULOUS!
Old 17th February 2011
Gear Addict

I have a 414EB Silver, brass ring that I got in 1986, traded a Yamaha Electric guitar for it with a studio owner who was closing shop. Best trade ever.

And the mic sounds absolutely stunning, I use it on everything! Last thing I tried it on was cajon, and it was perfect.
Old 17th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussB View Post
Awesome! Can't wait to hear the shoot out! Please P.M. me if you've posted a shoot out! heh
Will do. The mic just arrived in Denmark today, I should have it back by the end of the month.
Old 18th February 2011
Gear Maniac

Well after this thread I guess I'll have to pull my 414B-ULS out again.

It has barely been out of my cabinet since I got a U87 15 years ago, except once.

That was the time I had to record two vocalists at once and I had out the U87 and the 414. One of the very top female session singers in LA walked in, pointed at the 414 and said "I will NOT sing through that thing!".

Kinda put the damper on the 414 for me!

I remember it as being OK for sax and acoustic guitar, but no great shakes for most of the vocals I used it on. Funny, I always thought it was OK for women before that.
Old 18th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejbill View Post
One of the very top female session singers in LA walked in, pointed at the 414 and said "I will NOT sing through that thing!".
Obviously somebody had shown her the Gearslutz Forum.

While we're still talkin' 414's, I've asked before but don't recall getting any response on this: how do the EB P48's with the nylon capsules compare with the zillion variations that have been built since? (subjectively, of course)

I still have three of my old P48's, two of which I had Jim Williams mod a couple of years ago. Though I still usually prefer several of my other options for vocals, these do have a very smooth and open sound. But I've never used any other 414 model so I have no basis for comparison.
Old 18th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejbill View Post

That was the time I had to record two vocalists at once and I had out the U87 and the 414. One of the very top female session singers in LA walked in, pointed at the 414 and said "I will NOT sing through that thing!".

Kinda put the damper on the 414 for me!

Funny, I always thought it was OK for women before that.
you need thicker skin.jeez, i'd never let a random, most unlikely uninformed,opinion sway me to retire a tool for 15yrs!
Old 4th April 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudHudson View Post
Will do. The mic just arrived in Denmark today, I should have it back by the end of the month.
Hi, how does your 414 like the new capsule?
Old 4th April 2011
Lives for gear

Recording vocals with the 414TLll over the weekend.....didn't like the sound during tracking but committed myself to try it.

414--->GTQ2---DBX160x----Aurora

Half-way during mixing and the vocals are sitting nice in the mix but it took a little work. Would not do it again.

I know some dog the brand MXL but the Genesis just works well on most vocals and great on many other applications. If I had to compare it to the 414TLll, I would say it walks all over the 414 and makes it sound like poo.

At this point, it really doesn't matter anymore becuase good vocals can be achieved in the mix even with cheapo mics. It's more of a room thing.
Old 4th April 2011
Gear Head

The local studio here which I have taken some classes at, have been using the 414 (P48) for around twenty years as a lead vocal mic. The results are always great. It's running through a Manley SLAM -> MOTU 2408. They have not only stayed in business but have thrived. The vocal booth it sits in is very well treating and sounds great.

I have two 414's at home and for the most part dig them on vocals. Some days they sound better on my voice than others but are a true workhorse of a microphone.
Old 24th April 2011
Here for the gear

I have a 414 xlII and it works great on my slightly nasal baritone voice. Also great for male speach.

But I tried it on 4 different sounding female singers and it never really worked well. I think it's lacking something in the midrange but can't quite put my finger on it...
Old 9th May 2011
Gear Addict

Isn't Geddy Lee using one here?
Old 9th May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonT View Post
Are all TLII the same? It's really confusing why they have mics with same base number but sounds different and are meant to be used for different purposes.

In other words....the question "414" for vocals needs to be more concentrated on which 414. On the AGK site they mention a particular model that was designed for vox.
The TLII is different from the B-ULS mics, they are a bit more scooped in the mids and the top is nicer in my opinion.
Old 13th May 2011
Lives for gear

Using a 414 B XL II for just about any vocals. The reason? 2 reasons. For one I can´t afford an U47 and secondly, it´s great.
XLII Is a tad more brighter/disco than the C414 wich suits contemporary hit production nowadays just fine.
Old 13th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonT View Post
At this point, it really doesn't matter anymore becuase good vocals can be achieved in the mix even with cheapo mics. It's more of a room thing.
Yeah, what he said. That is very well put.
Old 14th May 2011
Lives for gear

Boring ones often turn out to be faithful

I auditioned a 414 b-uls for a VERY long time before purchasing. The reason being is that many other microphones sounded initially and superficially better than the 414 and this was confusing. Some mics sound brighter, some try to clone 'vintage classics'. But I eventually realised that the 414 captured much more 'size' of an instrument or voice and quite naturally.
Old 18th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaap View Post
Just saw this video and was surprised that KD Lang used a 414 as a handheld mic.
Link: KD Lang
Man that KD girl can sing. I just got an akg c414 b-uls for the studio, to me it seems a bit dark...at least compared to the U87ai and the Blueberry (but the Blueberry is hella brite)
Does the AKG need to be professionally cleaned?
Old 24th May 2015
Here for the gear

I have a pair of C414 comb (the very first version, s/n. 2xx with brass CK12).
Easily my favourite mics for female singers/vocalists, but i have found their amazing HF definition a bit distracting on unruly male singers as they reveal too much of the "bad" details e.g. spitting sounds, chewed consonants etc.
However they have a very deep LF extension, which means that with a little position tilt & a good male singer i can achieve a full-bodied & clean vocal sound, especially good for BV & VO work. But it is not my very first choice for male lead vocal duties (my other choices being LOMO 19A9, Neumann CMV563/M7 & early-version Neumann U87, plus Melodium 42B & Shure SM7).
They certainly are my go-to mics for acoustic instruments. In omni mode they do a wonderful job for capturing complex-harmonic signals like grand piano, ac. guitar, vibraphone, zither etc. Usually it is them or my Schoeps (M221 or CMMT30-V311 w. M934).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search