The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rolling Stones Observation/Hollow Boby Question.
Old 11th November 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelabs
I saw them Friday in Anaheim as well and they were not on, must of been the Anaheim thing
Man you got that right! They were brutal! Almost had to stop in Brown Sugar - it's not often you hear ANY band have a train wreck in that song. Generally out of time and (in the case of Ronnie Wood at least) out of tune most of the night.

Keiths' 355 was the only thing that really cut through the mix well and sounded decent, even when rehashing tired Chuck Berry riffs all night.

If I didn't get comped the tickets I'd have asked for my money back!
Old 11th November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo

What would you say the best semi-hollow body for rock in the $500-$800 range would be?
http://store.guitarfetish.com/xaxvseholedr.html

I've now got two of the Les Paul style and they are pretty damn great for the money.

Gonna try the 335 style next.

next time,
Brendan Shanahan
Old 11th November 2005

... I didn't want to say anything negative but the rhythm section sounded strange at times, like the pocket was shifting all over the place. I thought, 'here's some guys who could use beat detective'...lol

I just got the 'o' joke. Booby! ~
Old 11th November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectacular g
http://store.guitarfetish.com/xaxvseholedr.html

I've now got two of the Les Paul style and they are pretty damn great for the money.

Gonna try the 335 style next.

next time,
Brendan Shanahan
HOLY SHET!! That's a beautiful guitar! But there's no way it can be just $375.00!?! Hmmmmmm... Does look sweet though.
Old 11th November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiliconAudioLab
HOLY SHET!! That's a beautiful guitar! But there's no way it can be just $375.00!?! Hmmmmmm... Does look sweet though.
That's what I said when my bro showed them to me.

But like I said before I've got two now and both are really good guitars.

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Xaviere/

some reviews fwiw.

Limited time pricing too, no idea how long that will last.

Coil tap is also very nice.

Paypal was easy

And no I don't work for them, just trying to help a brother out.

Plus I heard saturday that Joe Walsh bought one of the shell ones...

just what I heard.

anyway, Yeah they are really cool for the price and the price is really rite!!!

next time,
Manny Legace
Old 11th November 2005
One with big hooves

Hollow & semi-hollow bodies vary a lot from axe to axe...at least as much if not more-so then a standard electric because they are partially acoustic instruments. Yesterday I was playing an imported Hamer 335 style and it was an absolute piece-o-poo. Something interal (bracing maybe) was rattling really badly and the it wouldn't stay in tune for anything. I put that one down and picked up a different one of the same model and it was a thousand times better. Even on the high end, you can grab a 335 that's totally dead or find one that's really amazing.

The Japenese & Korean made insturments seem to be a lot more consistent from one to another...Epiphone (as good as a real 335 at 1/4 of the price IMO), Washburn, ESP, Ibanez and all those are worth looking at. I'd still budget for new pickups & electronics, that's usually the first place they cut corners and for a few bills it'll improve the tone immensely.
Old 11th November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectacular g
That's what I said when my bro showed them to me.

But like I said before I've got two now and both are really good guitars.

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Xaviere/

some reviews fwiw.

Limited time pricing too, no idea how long that will last.

Coil tap is also very nice.

Paypal was easy

And no I don't work for them, just trying to help a brother out.

Plus I heard saturday that Joe Walsh bought one of the shell ones...

just what I heard.

anyway, Yeah they are really cool for the price and the price is really rite!!!

next time,
Manny Legace
Oh man that's tempting! It's so gorgeous in the pics. My wife will KILL me if buy another guitar.

Sleep - YEAH!!!!! I'll sleep on it. heh
Old 11th November 2005
JTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo
I just got the 'o' joke. Booby! ~
- pretty lame joke - sorry man, I was bored
Old 12th November 2005
Gear Nut
OK, not to hijack this thread, but Keith sang through my U67 last night at a local studio here in San Diego.

I rented it to an engineer I know at a studio down the street and asked him who he had coming in. He smiled and said he would tell me when I picked up the mike, and that I would be stoked.

I'm stoked! Keef sang through my mike!

Back to the thread, this is right on time as I'm thinking a semi-hollow body electric would be just the ticket for some of the sounds I'm trying to get.
Old 12th November 2005

I just picked up 2 hollow bodies; Washburn HB35, plays great. I'm putting a pair of Duncan 59's in it today. And a guitar called an Italia with P90's and a lame ass tremelo on it. I'm having that one set up and having my tech do something with the tailpiece. The Italia sounds killer through a Marshall, real spanky/funky... I also grabbed a TC Electronics G-Major.

p.s. If there's any stutz out there that play guitar, real versitile, kinda like the dude in Sheryl Crow, call me I need some more guns. I start tracking guitars on 6 records on Monday and I fear I may run out of ammo if I'm alone. I'm real good at what I do but I could use some other flavors. Usually Gregg Sartiano and I track together but he's being murdered on a punk record right now and has left the nest...:(

...but left me his 1073 and 1176.
Old 12th November 2005
Gear Maniac

Brian Setzer. Need I say more?

I have a Gretsch 6120 and a Gibson ES-137

They both rock my world.
Old 25th January 2012
Here for the gear

My es-335 is one of my main axes used in recording. I just love the feel and look of them and I use it a lot with a medium overdrive setting that gives it a great les paulish, sg-ish tone but with more of a natural woodiness to it. Hard to explain, but I will say that I own an sg and a 335 and at times it's hard to tell them apart unless you know your guitars well. A semi-hollow and solid body are more alike than people make them out to be at times. They aren't that different at the end of the day. Clean I think they sound more different. My 335 is by far my most versatile axe.
Old 25th January 2012
Lives for gear

There are so many guitar sounds, both hollow and solid, and I pretty much love them all. I've not been such a fan of the humbucker 335 sound, but I had a '68 335 12 string that was wonderful. I prefer the 330/P90 sound for myself, but then I also prefer the P90 Les Pauls over the what I think are muddier humbuckers. And then there are the two Gretsch hollow body tones from their two different pickups..my 67 Tennessean would not be my first pick, but.....

What has put a smile on my face for a few years now is the combo hollow/solid body 336. I got one from the Gibson Custom Shop, one of the early models with the tapered headstock. There was something not quite right about the sound so I took it to my luthier and he put P-90s on it, and it has become my main electric.
Old 25th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
That guitar is not a 335, it's something else like a 340 or 350... I forget the number [and no, I'm not going to call Pierre and ask]... but I will say that it's a damn fine instrument... damn fine instrument.
He's got a black ES-355 and a white ES-345.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search