The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
IBP saving my ass again.....
Old 11th June 2003
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Isn't this normally achieved by simply moving the microphones? I mean is this thing just so we can twist a knob instead of moving a mic?
With the IBP I can find the sweet spots for each mic then adjust the phase difference between them to suit my tastes and the track. The IBP also covers the combined DI and miced source problem in ways polarity can't sometimes.

Not mention re-amping with phase adjustment. A problem solver.

It's a time saver no doubt. For the lazy man, um...maybe somewhat ... maybe. A killer tool, absolutely. I still move mics all over the place.
Old 11th June 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by mdbeh
The IBP lets you alter phase without changing the time relationship.
Is that possible? I thought phase WAS a time phenomenon (as opposed to polarity) caused by a sound source hitting mics at differing distances at different times?

It's amazing how little I actually know...!
Old 11th June 2003
Gear Maniac

http://www.littlelabs.com/IBPMAN.pdf

Scroll down to ??PHASE??
Old 11th June 2003
Lives for gear

So would most people use it while tracking or mixing (or both!)?
Old 11th June 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by littledog
Absotively...heh
Old 11th June 2003
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Both here as well. It's a great sounding DI on it's own BTW.
Old 11th June 2003
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan-O
Both here as well. It's a great sounding DI on it's own BTW.
I`ll second that! It has "won" over our Avalon U5 quite a few times on bass......

Amund
Old 11th June 2003
Gear Nut

Just got mine a couple of hours ago, testing it out and the DI sounds really great on my Tele.
Old 11th June 2003
Gear Maniac

Has anybody used the IBP as a line driver or splitter yet? I've really wanted to try it a splitter but haven't had the opportunity.
Old 11th June 2003
Gear Nut

Quote:
Has anybody used the IBP as a line driver or splitter yet? I've really wanted to try it a splitter but haven't had the opportunity.

I use the IBP and a Redeye when tracking guitars(with the guitarist in the control room). This allows long cable runs without any signal loss.

Amund
Old 12th June 2003
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I use the IBP and a Redeye when tracking guitars(with the guitarist in the control room). This allows long cable runs without any signal loss.
Are you referring to an IBP on one end, Redeye on the other? The reason I ask is I believe (could be wrong here) the instrument out on the back is it self designed for long cable runs. With out the use of the two DI trick. Could you explain the method your using. I do a great deal of control room tracking and use the two DI all the time.

Also, I'll be on tour in your neck of the woods in Sept. Are you familiar with either of these places?
· 14/9/03 Oslo - Norway @ Last Train
· 15/9/03 Bergen - Norway @ Kvarteret
Old 18th June 2003
Lives for gear

Littledog is correct, Phase relationship is a time phenomenon.
Polarity is an electrical issue.
Phase coherency is time coherency.
The IBP, then, must be a time shifter (delay only).
On a Bass direct/miked it will only align properly if the direct is delayed with the IBP, unless Little labs had figured out how to travel forward in time, if so the Men in Black will be calling on Johnathan.

With a DAW, time alignment is easily acheived.
Old 18th June 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by loudist
With a DAW, time alignment is easily acheived.
Shifting tracks in a DAW and using the IBP are not the same thing. This might help clear things up a bit... click me! Hope this helps.
Old 18th June 2003
I think I will need 3 v f soon.

Old 18th June 2003
Lives for gear

Thanks Tim... very enlightening.
It seems that the IBP can continuously 'tilt' the waveform in either direction.
Like the BBE's were supposed to do, but didn't live up to that claim very well.

Hmmm... has any one used 2 of them across the stereo buss as the last link in the chain to compensate for 2 mix buss processing?
Seems like a logical application.
Old 18th June 2003
Gear Nut

Quote:
Are you referring to an IBP on one end, Redeye on the other? The reason I ask is I believe (could be wrong here) the instrument out on the back is it self designed for long cable runs. With out the use of the two DI trick. Could you explain the method your using. I do a great deal of control room tracking and use the two DI all the time.

Also, I'll be on tour in your neck of the woods in Sept. Are you familiar with either of these places?
· 14/9/03 Oslo - Norway @ Last Train
· 15/9/03 Bergen - Norway @ Kvarteret
Yeah, IPB in the control room, Redeye in the other. The IBP has a buffered line driver for long cable runs too, but that one changes the impedance and tone with passive guitars and basses..... So IBP(or any DI with a line out) and Redeye is the best for me...

Going to Oslo!

Last Train is kind of a popular "underground" place,but I have never been there....

Haven`t been in that one in Bergen either......
Old 18th June 2003
Lives for gear

hoe come there is no plugin that do thesame thing? it seems so logical and eays for thedigital world andwith lookahead fetures.
where is bombguy whenu need him

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search