The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sound Quality of Distressors? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 12th April 2010
Lives for gear

The Distressor is great when the sound you are putting through it already has the basic vibe/color you want and you want to add punch or sweetness or slick it up or whatever. It's the most tweakable compressor for sure but if you are looking to create gamechanging color in a dull annoying track I dont think it's a good choice.
Old 12th April 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluerental View Post
a distressor is a fine sounding unit.
it does MANY things very well.

you should get your hands on one and hear for yourself.

i would also add that my customer service experience with dave at EL has been absolutely magnificent..................
I'll second this. The folks at EL are great and the distressor is an absolute gem in my rack. I don't find it to 'color' the sound on a light ratio but I can get it to be as filthy as a brothel if I need to. They really do a LOT of things other comps just can't do, but that doesn't mean I'm done shopping for other comps down the road.
Old 12th April 2010
Gear Head

This is the kind of thread that makes g-slutz so awesome when it comes to application of standard tools. MUCH like the distressor. Love to hear the crazy ways I can use something that I never thought of! ..and sometimes near opposite opinions.

One of my favorite uses is to set it up to create some extreme color, very fun on elec guitars that need some soupy vibe. Just use it to do some transient chopping on DIST3 with fast attack/fast release settings. (Kinda like an extreme Fatso effect) Dull no longer, and a different animal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCRockit View Post
The Distressor is great when the sound you are putting through it already has the basic vibe/color you want and you want to add punch or sweetness or slick it up or whatever. It's the most tweakable compressor for sure but if you are looking to create gamechanging color in a dull annoying track I dont think it's a good choice.
Old 12th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidArmy View Post
This is the kind of thread that makes g-slutz so awesome when it comes to application of standard tools. MUCH like the distressor. Love to hear the crazy ways I can use something that I never thought of! ..and sometimes near opposite opinions.

One of my favorite uses is to set it up to create some extreme color, very fun on elec guitars that need some soupy vibe. Just use it to do some transient chopping on DIST3 with fast attack/fast release settings. (Kinda like an extreme Fatso effect) Dull no longer, and a different animal.
If I want sonic color I'll go for API or something with a distinct footprint. To me squeezing something isint "color" it's just playing with whats already there. The change I get from switching the Dist 2 or 3 settings on the Distressor do almost nothing compared to the sonic footprint I get from an API 525.
Old 13th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkB View Post
Pretty transparent and forward sounding to my ears.
huh? transparent, but forward? that is a contradiction in terms isn't it?
Old 13th April 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCRockit View Post
If I want sonic color I'll go for API or something with a distinct footprint. To me squeezing something isint "color" it's just playing with whats already there. The change I get from switching the Dist 2 or 3 settings on the Distressor do almost nothing compared to the sonic footprint I get from an API 525.
Sounds pretty tasty to me. Maybe convincing enough to persuade me into 500 form factor territory. I've been looking for a good compliment to the distressor in the feedback style compression.
Old 13th April 2010
Harmless Wacko

This is a great box.

This is NOT a "hi-fi" box.

It's got a dirty, gritty, smeary attitude to it.

If you want a hi-fi version of this box buy a Crane Song Trakker.

People putting them on the 2 buss are clinically insane.

Which is great! But not something I'd do to a mix I already LIKE.

SM.
Old 13th April 2010
Lives for gear

Dave Derr Rocks!! Dave Derr Rocks!! Dave Derr Rocks!! Dave Derr Rocks!!
Dave Derr Rocks!! Dave Derr Rocks!! Dave Derr Rocks!! Dave Derr Rocks!! Dave Derr Rocks!! Dave Derr Rocks!! Dave Derr Rocks!! Dave Derr Rocks!! Dave Derr Rocks!! Dave Derr Rocks!! Dave Derr Rocks!! Dave Derr Rocks!!
Old 13th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari-M. View Post
huh? transparent, but forward? that is a contradiction in terms isn't it?
Not to my earsheh.

Just saying that it does not add a lot of color/tone (=transparent), but this bring things forward, upfront.

Regards,
Dirk
Old 13th April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul999 View Post
For super aggressive drums I start like this.

10:1 ratio, attack full 10+, release somewhere between 2-4.5 with a max gain reduction of 10-14 db on the meters with snare and kick attacks. I made a super snappy snare (say that 3 times fast)when mixing and didn't have a ton of attack on the kick. As I put the drums through the subgroup the attack on the kick started the come through. I compressed until the kick/snare attack was the balance I wanted.
That's my favorite sound, pretty much those exact settings, except lately I've been using 4:1 with an additional stage of compression in front. I find 10:1 is too easy to kill the choruses.

If there's no dynamic shift in the song, then 10:1 is my preference.
Old 13th April 2010
Lives for gear

Dist

Distressor is my to go comp for main vocals, I love how it shapes the drums also.
Bass is another place where I could put it.

I'm thinking about taking 2-3 more, they are fast to operate, easy to recall, have nice distortion, no sound on green, what do you ned more?
Old 13th April 2010
Lives for gear
What's the cleanest Distressor setting? Any consensus?
Old 13th April 2010
Here for the gear

Two EL8x Distressors on the way ... prepare for audio

I have two of the EL8x units shipping from soundpure.com (cheapest place I found on the web, fyi, and excellent customer service... thanks Doug!) and plan on spending massive amounts of time soon experimenting with recording drums, vocals and electric guitars for a minimalist "lo fi" indie band.

Will post links to audio files as I go.

I'm especially excited about using a Distressor to crush a figure 8 mic that will be under the snare, with one lobe pointing at the kick and the other at the snares.

Gear to be used in this orgy of gear-sluttitude is:

Pres:
Vintech 273
API A2D

Condensor mics:
AKG C414 B-XLS
Studio Projects C4 (pair)
M-Audio Sputnik

Dynamic mics:
Audix D6 & i5
Shure SM57 (of course)

Converters:
Benchmark ADC1 USB
RME Multiface II
Old 13th April 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayo View Post
What's the cleanest Distressor setting? Any consensus?

As with almost any comp, the more you slow up the release the more relaxed it sounds, and the more you slow up the attack the more open it sounds.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 14th April 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by toasteh View Post
If I could only have 1 compressor, it would easily be a distressor.
I came in here to say this as well. It is one of the few pieces of equipment I can't live without.
Old 27th April 2010
Lives for gear

i m wondering what it would bring used on all tracks with the dist 2 or 3 in a full song, i guess you can get more separation when mixing itb and agree with empirical labs suport , very good

a ubk distressor with a more colorful sound would be great !
Old 27th April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by airmate View Post
all empirical labs tools are extremely efficient problem solvers. the get the job done.

however, it seems like i have to play the party pooper here.
while the distressor might add a pleasant distortion and might be capable of strong compression, it does not exactly make signals sound "nicer" - at least to my ears.

ymmv, but i hear a certain degradation of the sonic details that is probably caused by all the op-amps in the signal path. i find this to be a different league, if you compare it to a pendulum or d.w. fearn unit (just to name two other options that show an extremely high sonic integrity).

i would not hesitate to use a distressor when i have to make heavy adjustments on a signal in a rock mix. but if a signal in a jazz mix needs only a slight touch-up, i would certainly reach for another tool.
Which Pendulum pieces are you using? What comes out of my 6386 is not the same as what goes into it. That's why I use it in the first place.
Old 27th April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sput View Post
Well, no, but that's the point. When using original 1176's (admitedly, 2 months of my entire life) I never did parallel. I instantly got that in-your-face vocal sound, that seemed to want to rush out of the speakers, and was bigger than life. As I said, it was probably a mixture of many things, not just the compressor.
With the distressor's brit mod the only bigger-than-life thing I get are the k's and p's. Everything else is smaller than life!!

Don't get me wrong, I think distressors are very useful tools. Every ratio seems to bring something interesting to the table (I particulary enjoy 6:1). But many people on GS say "you must get the brittish mod version", like it's the only reason to use them. It happens to be the setting I NEVER use.

Oh, and come on, you can use pretty much anything in parallel...

Compression makes things small. It turns things down.
Old 28th April 2010
Gear Guru

Bought the Distressor, sold the Distressor. Didn't really like it. Different strokes and all that..
Old 28th April 2010
Gear Maniac

used them, a little overrated

Distressor = overrated
not to impressed with these but very subjective as friends of mine go crazy over them..to each his own
Old 28th April 2010
Lives for gear

I like them, cool sounding units. A UBK Fatso would be something I would like to have in the future.
Old 28th April 2010
Gear Maniac

they're awesome!!! great investment...they're 1500 bucks for a reason I guess
Old 12th June 2010
Lives for gear

I am looking for a comp fr my vocal chain while tracking for some light compression. But I don't want the tone to be... to warm or muddy. Will the distressor do this?
Old 12th June 2010
Lives for gear

no thanks.

One trick pony.

dirt. grime. smear.

I prefer the FMR PBC-6a.

Glad we sold the distressor..couldnt find a use for it.
Old 12th June 2010
Gear Addict

warm, transparent, a jewel¡¡¡¡¡¡
Old 13th June 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
Bought the Distressor, sold the Distressor. Didn't really like it. Different strokes and all that..
Same here except I bought 2 years ago and returned them within a few weeks, much more compressors on the market that do a better job for less money, just did not see the point.
If they had grown on me I still would have had a issue with the looks, ugly huge round knobs...ouch.

Again....Different strokes for all of us.
Old 21st June 2010
Gear Maniac

The Distressors are to me the easiest compressor to find settings on. I always feel like I can tell exactly what's going on with them. When people call it the 'swiss army knife' of compressors I totally see that. I can carve sound with great intricacy and I always feel like I'm in control of what's happening.

I have other compressors which seem to impart a little more by way of charisma to the sound but I always find myself taking far longer to find the sweet spot on those.

That's just me though.

I really like the Distressors.
Old 21st June 2010
Lives for gear

I love mine. I use them on just about every instrument when needed and they just work, from light compression to b%$&s to the wall nuke!!! heh
Old 21st June 2010
Lives for gear

My take on the Distressors is that they are a great tool to have in the kit, but they don't suit everything and I wouldn't want them as my first or only comp. But alongside a variety of other tools, they certainly have their place.

From the POV of a commercial room, they also have value in that they are well known by most engineers and provide coverage for a swathe of genres and styles. So they don't have to always be stars to earn their keep. thumbsup
Old 21st June 2010
Lives for gear

a very versatile tool.
can be dirty smeary.
can be open transparent.
hit the buttons, move the knobs, listen with your ears.

good things happen.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search