The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
HEAVY ROCK STEREO BUSS COMPRESSOR
Old 6th June 2003
Lives for gear

HEAVY ROCK STEREO BUSS COMPRESSOR

HEY GUYS.

I NEED ADVICE ON PURCHASING A GOOD STEREO BUSS COMPRESSOR.
TUBES PREFERRED BUT ALTERNATIVES ARE WELCOME.

I DO MAINLY METAL AND HEAVY ROCK STUFF.

OH, and BTW. HAS ANYONE TRIED THE VETTA FROM LINE 6? .
ANY GOOD ?
Old 7th June 2003
Lives for gear

vetta blows- the only thing of theirs that I like is the Flextone II 2x12 stereo combo

and for heavy rock compressor- I think the new chandler beatles one is getting a lot of use
Old 7th June 2003
Gear Addict

Focusrite Red3 works really well with SSL.
Old 7th June 2003
Lives for gear

I would look into either the SSL FX384 or one of the Alan Smart boxes. If you want tubes look into a Manley Vari-Mu with T-Bar Mod.

-Sean
Old 7th June 2003
SSL is cool
API is suppposed to be great
Tube Tech multiband valve also supposed to be good
Cranesong STC-8 is cool if you are doing all your pumping & squashing INSIDE your mix ALREADY.

I use SSL & Cranesong

The Vetta combo I tried sounded VERY good - Tip - the Vetta sounds are now in the Pod XT (and they make a Pro Version as of last week) I plan on getting one and sending its output (with cab emulation SWITCHED OFF) through a valve heads insert return, thus using the pawer stage only, then sending that out to a 4 x 12 cab or open backed combo.

The key to Vetta 'sound' is it's SHARC chips, they help pass sound faster & with wider frequency range than those in previous Pod models.
Old 7th June 2003
Lives for gear

One Box....

One Dude....

Al Smart C2... set it to stun baby! and then pipe it into Avalon 747 and put ya feet up and just feel the music!

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 7th June 2003
Lives for gear

I've been pretty happy with the smack I get out of a dbx 160SL And when that isn't working or if I need to layer, the Vari-Mu seems to do the job quit well.
Old 8th June 2003
Lives for gear

Is the Al smart sc2 not just a SSL clone ???
Old 8th June 2003
Gear Nut

A Manley SLAM works for me.
Old 8th June 2003
Lives for gear

Try PSP Vintage Warmer.

Yep, a plug-in. Heh.

Try it. Dont flame me
Old 8th June 2003
Lives for gear

is the sc2 al smart an ssl clone ?
Old 9th June 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
is the sc2 al smart an ssl clone ?
I had the chance to compare the Alan Smart C1 and the SSL FX384 for about a week. The units have almost identical controls and settings and have a similar vibe but they are not the same. Both are great and either one could be preferable for a particular mix/working style. I found the Tone of the Al Smart to be chunkier/fatter yet duller. It was instantly more noticable on the mix bus than the SSL was. I went with the SSL because it sounded livelier and more polished on my material. I record all analog though. Maybe if I was digital I would have liked the more colored tone of the C1. Other differences are that the C1 is dual mono or you can run it in stereo with one set of controls. The SSL is fixed stereo and has an autofade button that is outdated and not used much anymore......but I happen to love it and use it all the time. The C2 is supposed to be different than the C1 and adds a crush feature. I have not tried it though. They are all great units and a worthwhile investment in any studio IMHO. Best of luck with your search.

-Sean
Old 10th June 2003
urumita

2 Neve 2254's strapped and don't watch the needles, just listen. If your'e really in the mind to do so, sub mix your guitars including the lead to a pair of UA-175's. An 1178 might not be the worst choice. Of couscous they're all noisy; but who's listening?
Old 10th June 2003
Gear Maniac

I vote for the ssl 384. the al smart unit is a nice box as well, but as mentioned (in this thread) not exactly the same sound.
Old 10th June 2003
Gear Addict

Having worked with such great mixers as Tom and Chris Lord-Alge and Dave Ogilvie, I know that they prefer the Focusrite Red 3 compressor with old Sontec EQs on the mix bus of an SSL. The majority of mixers rarely use the mix bus compressor of the SSL on the entire mix. The onboard channel dynamics are used much more.
Old 10th June 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

Quote:
Originally posted by Robotnik
The majority of mixers rarely use the mix bus compressor of the SSL on the entire mix. The onboard channel dynamics are used much more.
I like the channel dynamics quite a bit, but not the mix bus comp...on the J desks.
Old 10th June 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Having worked with such great mixers as Tom and Chris Lord-Alge and Dave Ogilvie, I know that they prefer the Focusrite Red 3 compressor with old Sontec EQs on the mix bus of an SSL. The majority of mixers rarely use the mix bus compressor of the SSL on the entire mix. The onboard channel dynamics are used much more.
I've always wanted to work with any one of them to see what I could learn. Any other observations you had that you'd like to share? How do they get the kick & snare so consistent? Samples? No samples? How do they not get tons of cymbal bleed in those WAY compressed toms? How can they make a brush-hit snare so loud?
Old 11th June 2003
Lives for gear

message to john

Hi JON,
Is there a possibility to get a scanned version of your Audio Design AD F760X RS manual.
all those knobs are driving me nuts, especially in stereo mode.
Thanks in advance .
Old 11th June 2003
Gear Nut

[QUOTE]Originally posted by juniorhifikit
[B]I've always wanted to work with any one of them to see what I could learn. Any other observations you had that you'd like to share?

----I got to work with Dave Ogilve once also...I remember him using an Ibanez Tubescreamer and various Danelectro pedals on vocals during a mix session.

Matt
Old 11th June 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by juniorhifikit
How do they get the kick & snare so consistent? Samples?
Yes
Old 11th June 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
I've always wanted to work with any one of them to see what I could learn. Any other observations you had that you'd like to share? How do they get the kick & snare so consistent? Samples? No samples?
SoundReplacer, sample triggering, individually replacing the weak hits from a multi-track sample taken at the end of the session/song and using the SSL gates to mix 50:50 gated and ungated sounds.

Quote:
How do they not get tons of cymbal bleed in those WAY compressed toms? How can they make a brush-hit snare so loud?
The above plus gates and automation. I learned a trick from Gggarth where you automate the volume of each tom hit with Pro Tools. He also liked to use the same track copied to another track and nudged back to trigger the gate of the original track. Works very well.
Old 11th June 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

Re: message to john

Quote:
Originally posted by andre tchmil
Hi JON,
Is there a possibility to get a scanned version of your Audio Design AD F760X RS manual.
all those knobs are driving me nuts, especially in stereo mode.
Thanks in advance .
I'd like to help, but we don't have any Audio Design machines or manuals here. Best of luck,

Jon
Old 11th June 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by 7rojo7
2 Neve 2254's strapped and don't watch the needles, just listen. If your'e really in the mind to do so, sub mix your guitars including the lead to a pair of UA-175's. An 1178 might not be the worst choice. Of couscous they're all noisy; but who's listening?
I just got a pair of 2254's last week, so do you use the limiter in it, in the playing I have so far I liked the compressor more with the limiter out or just slow limit.. Any tricks you can pass on thanks.
Old 12th June 2003
Here for the gear

You should try the Tubetech LCA2B or the API 2500. Both are good for guitars...Heavy guitar stuff!!
PK
Old 12th June 2003
Gear Addict

IMHO, nothing beats Helios and Pye for guitars.
Old 12th June 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
IMHO, nothing beats Helios and Pye for guitars.
Where the heck can you find those though?? I've always wondered about those cool little Pye compressors - Vintage King has had them off and on before, ditto with the Helios stuff...

Someday
Old 13th June 2003
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by The Guru
You should try the Tubetech LCA2B
PK
Ugh. The LCA2B sucks hampster dick next to the LCA2A. The 2A rocks, the 2B is a boat anchor in comparison.
Old 15th June 2003
Gear Maniac

33609A

I use the Neve 33609A as a 2mix comp.
I tried the smart, thought it was okay as long as the needles didnt move. (like, doing nothing at all...)

The 33609A just rocks.

It has to be an "a" though.

The one with the metal knobs.
Old 17th June 2003
Lives for gear

JAY, explain why the tubetech 2 B sucks big D compared to the 2 A ?
I'm interested because I wanna buy one of these ..... some day
Old 17th June 2003
member no 666

The Pendulum ES-8... the Drawmer 1969... the Crane Song LTD. STC-8... a pair of Daking "Fet Compressors"... all favorites.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search