The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fairchild 600...any info??
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Fairchild 600...any info??

A friend of mine just dropped off a Fairchild 600. All it has on the faceplate is a threshold knob...numbered 1-6. Does anyone have any info on this unit?

Thanks!
Old 25th March 2010
Gear Maniac

I believe it's a high frequency limiter used for cutting records.
Old 17th August 2013
Here for the gear

Fairchild 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdeerberg View Post
I believe it's a high frequency limiter used for cutting records.
It's a tube (or valve across the pond here) de-esser used in cutting records, manual suggests using it sparingly.

The switch with the 5 or so indents is for determining the cut off frequency 6dB per octave I think.

I have the manual, I am looking for information on what is in the metal can which uses an eq network to apply bias volts, anyone?
Old 17th August 2013
One with big hooves

These links & reading @ John Kletts site might prove helpful, though he apparently doesn't think much of 'em.

http://www.technicalaudio.com/pdf/Fa..._post_edit.pdf

Index of /pdf/Fairchild

Quote:
AND... Fairchild stuff that was not so great...

600 "Conax" Series... over-modulation limiter... which is really just a peak clipper... this thing
works in a chain where one had H.F. pre-emphasis and a clipper for protection, as in a disk cutting
chain or at the front-end of a radio transmitter. Basically it clips the "hair" off. Great for
transmitters as long as you don't trim off more than 6dB of hair. By the time you hear it doing
anything it is pretty terrible. Sadly too many people have bought these thinking they were related to
the 660/670. They are worth the chassis, transformers and other components and may be useful as a
color if you rip out the emphasis and clipper circuits and replace that with an attenuator. The 600
was mono "unity gain", 601 was mono with 40dB gain, 602 was stereo version of 600, 600A was set up for
doing "opticals" (recording optical film tracks, which is a job I used to do))... I remember the smell
of the film stock whenever I think about opticals... so of these the Conax 601 would be the least bad
one to have to start with for partially gutting out and messing with.
Old 17th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomo1234 View Post
A friend of mine just dropped off a Fairchild 600. All it has on the faceplate is a threshold knob...numbered 1-6. Does anyone have any info on this unit?

Thanks!
I think its the Conax 600 deeser...first desser in bluish black face paint like that of the covetted 670 660. There is also a 602 variant of it as well.
Old 17th August 2013
Lives for gear

yes mostly junk a few gems....maybe the 670,660, 666 and these....you can just run them flat for saturation i guess. here is some more info copy and paste link.

Fairchild Kit Of The Early 1960s | Preservation Sound
Old 17th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie342000 View Post
It's a tube (or valve across the pond here) de-esser used in cutting records, manual suggests using it sparingly.

The switch with the 5 or so indents is for determining the cut off frequency 6dB per octave I think.

I have the manual, I am looking for information on what is in the metal can which uses an eq network to apply bias volts, anyone?

hehe 3 and a half years too late......
Old 18th August 2013
Here for the gear

Fairchild 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaellus View Post
hehe 3 and a half years too late......
Better to be late than to suffer from being premature.

Late or not I want to know what the layout inside that can, i.e. I need a drawing of what was in that 9 pin can.

I know what it does but not how it is configured, it is essentially a pre-emphasis circuit with the bias applied to regulate compression/limiting.

I have the manual and schematic but that part is not there, like it was top secret.

Not much around on these, anyone?
Old 13th January 2017
Here for the gear

If someone does have the schematic for this I would love to find a copy. Manual would be amazing too! I just got one of these this week. Pretty cool that it has the UTC Y-6431 transformer! I'm planning on using this with my Rek-O-Kut lathe and seeing how it sounds.
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

I've got one I bought a few years ago, was going to turn it into a simple compressor....
Never had the time.

If anyone is interested drop me a email.
Attached Thumbnails
Fairchild 600...any info??-dsc07860.jpg   Fairchild 600...any info??-dsc07861.jpg   Fairchild 600...any info??-dsc07862.jpg   Fairchild 600...any info??-dsc07863.jpg   Fairchild 600...any info??-dsc07864.jpg  

Fairchild 600...any info??-dsc07865.jpg   Fairchild 600...any info??-dsc07866.jpg   Fairchild 600...any info??-dsc07867.jpg   Fairchild 600...any info??-dsc07868.jpg   Fairchild 600...any info??-dsc07869.jpg  

Fairchild 600...any info??-dsc07870.jpg   Fairchild 600...any info??-dsc07871.jpg  
Old 25th January 2018
Here for the gear

Does anyone have any info on what was in the silver can? The schematics don't show that part. I have seen pictures of the inside of the can but not good enough to reverse engineer it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search