The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Purple Audio MC77
Old 4th November 2005
Purple Audio MC77

Any recent reports, reviews, a/b tests on Pruple Audio MC77? Especially a/b tests with 1176LN and/or vintage 1176 wiil do quite nicely, thanks.
Old 4th November 2005
Lives for gear

dave martin did just such a thing. the review isn't up on his website, but i bet if you sent him an email, he'd be happy to tell ya about it. www.javajivestudio.com will have some contact info for ya.

--jon
Old 4th November 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideTrip
Any recent reports, reviews, a/b tests on Pruple Audio MC77? Especially a/b tests with 1176LN and/or vintage 1176 wiil do quite nicely, thanks.
My 2 cents...

They all sound slightly different.

If my choice...

A vintage unit and a Purple MC77(which is basically what i have).

One for the occasional vocal and bass,the other for snares.
Old 4th November 2005
Kind of OT...

When I met Allen Sides @ AES this year, I asked him how many vintage 1176's he owns...

He said "about 80 of them."

Wow.
Old 4th November 2005
Lives for gear

I like the Purple as much as the vintage 1176. I couldn't like it better, but it is equal. The vintage and the Purple both smoke the UA 1176LN remake.
Old 4th November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred
He said "about 80 of them."

Wow.

Wow indeed !

I could make do with about 24 myself. heh
Old 4th November 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K
I like the Purple as much as the vintage 1176.
Which one?

The vintage and the Purple i have sound different.

But in a good way.

The Purple is much flashier and the vintage has a rounder sound.

They compliment each other well actually.
Old 4th November 2005
Lives for gear

They need to make a 2-1176 one.
Old 4th November 2005
Lives for gear

Does the MC76 sound anything like the MC77 ??? I have the chance to pick up a MC76 left over stock from a dealer, what's the going price for it. Thanks
Old 4th November 2005
member no 666

The MC-76 isn't built quite as well as the MC-77... but yeah, they sound damn near identical... as for the 2-1176 comment... the MC-77 has the "link box" built in... so it's not like the old 1176LN's where you had to build a special box to link two units.
Old 5th November 2005
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher
The MC-76 isn't built quite as well as the MC-77... but yeah, they sound damn near identical... as for the 2-1176 comment... the MC-77 has the "link box" built in... so it's not like the old 1176LN's where you had to build a special box to link two units.
That's insteresting to know, Fletcher. Was it one systemic problem with the MC76? (I remember sending both of mine back to Andrew a time or two, but no longer remember why). I haven't had the chance to play with the MC77 yet.
Old 5th November 2005
Lives for gear

I adore my MC76 and think it sounds better than the re-issue, better than the vintage 1176 silverfaces I have used, and as good as the best blackface I have used in NY studios. It's simply wonderful. Street value...hmmm, if its in good shape I would think an M76 could fetch 700-1100. Any other estimates?
Old 5th November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
Which one?

The vintage and the Purple i have sound different.

But in a good way.

The Purple is much flashier and the vintage has a rounder sound.

They compliment each other well actually.
The Purple I have used is the MC77.

Regarding the Original Blackface and the Purple:
I agree that they are quite different tonally. Most Black face 1176s are are a bit darker which can give the impression of being smoother. Since the Purple 77 is brighter, it makes it more exciting or flashier. So, for those reasons, I totally agree. I like them both for crushing a sub mix of drum close mics. Which I like better (between the Original BF and the MC77) depends on whether I want a darker or brighter distortion, which depends on the sound of the drums I am working with. They both are awesome. If I had to pick one... I'd have to cut them both in half and glue them together
Old 5th November 2005
Gear Head

I have three here today.
original 1176 blackface.
MC77 and new new UA reissue ( i think ua is now using original part again)
I thought the re issue and the orig BF were very close.
The purple sounded good also but was the most different.
It was brighter/thinner than the other two.
Old 6th November 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Does the MC76 sound anything like the MC77 ???
Quote:
The MC-76 isn't built quite as well as the MC-77.

Both are actually built very solidly. The main difference is that the MC-77 has a switchable stereo link (the MC76 has a stereo link but it is not switchable on the front), a switchable sidechain insert, and a true bypass switch ( in addition to the original style "compression" bypass switch on the attack pot). The rightmost switch assembly is laid out differently to accommodate the new bypass switch and you no longer get the choice of VU level scale between +4 and +8 (no great loss there). Sonically the MC76 and MC77 are basically the same. Some of the very early MC76 had Modutec meters which IMO had inferior ballistics to the Hoyt meters that are in most of the MC76 and all of the MC77. I have had a few of the Modutec units in the studio and the meters were driving me crazy. Many of the MC76 had standard bulb illumination for the meter but later MC76 and all of the MC77 have LED Meter lights which will basically never burn out. Let's see.....hmmmmm.....I think that's about it for the differences.....I'm sure Andrew will correct me if I am wrong or have missed something.....Oh yeah, the MC77 are black painted steel instead of the silver stainless steel.....better shielding..... Most of the features in the MC77 were things that Andrew always wanted to do but since he wanted to keep the front panel looking exactly like the original 1176 he didn't do them on the MC76. That was all before the UA reissue so with the MC77 I think he figured......to hell with it if someone wants a cosmetic replica they're going to buy a UA so he added some switches and some very convenient features. Personally, the true bypass is my favorite.

As far as sonic differences between the three varieties, I would really like to do a super anal shootout before the end of the year. It is really hard to compare 1176's. I have used and been inside of quite a few and they all sound different. For one thing there are a lot of revisions so a blackface can be any number of things. There are also a bunch of later blackfaces out there that are actually silverfaces internally. Then there is the cap issue.....calibration.....the state of the fet....... Not to mention all of the bad mod work I have seen.....anyone want to make there blackface transformerless? someone might have already beat you to it. We have seen several of those. Anyway, all things equal I think the Purple is as much a blackface as an old one is......but, I would love to do a proper shootout and post the results as some files.......

sorry for the verbose post......
Old 6th November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
sorry for the verbose post......
No. Thanks for the detailed explanation.

That should clear it up.

Michael Greene
Old 25th December 2008
Here for the gear

I get the impression that the 1176ln is better for bass and drums whereas the mc77 may be better for acoustic guitar/vocals. is this a fair assessment? how does the 1176ln sound on vocals or acoustic guitar?
Old 25th December 2008
Lives for gear

I've got 2 MC77s and I'm yet to have a single engineer come in and proclaim their love for them.
I like them though. Character's good for certain applications, though it's a little too super fast for some stuff.
I'm seriously considering selling one of the units since I don't have too much use for the second one. I think that in most cases those that are used to using and loving the vintage units (well maintained ones) will not be too ecstatic about the Purple reincarnation. I know this isn't the case on Gearslutz but that's been the real world experience in my case. They're brighter, faster, and behave a little differently to the oldies. Nobody would care about the differences if the package was different but since these things look identical in shape to 1176, it's probably hard for people to accept these units as replacement for the originals.

BTW has everyone got the stereo linking working properly? Mine aren't working for some reason. Probably user error but I can't figure it out.
Old 26th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgonzorh View Post
how does the 1176ln sound on vocals or acoustic guitar?
Hate to be that guy, but it depend on the vocals and guitar sound.

Some vocals simply won't work with my MC77, but others—the rock ones that benefit from grit and attitude—really work with it.

Same with acoustics: It's uber-fast, so if you want to "wash-out" the transients of a strumming pattern, it'll work, but it can be overkill if you want to retain the dynamics of the acoustic part.

Sorry if that's not helpful....

Happy Festivus.
Old 26th December 2008
can someone explain the differing qualities of the Mc77 against the retro 176

please
Old 26th December 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundseeker View Post
can someone explain the differing qualities of the Mc77 against the retro 176

please
Didn't notice any similarities whatsoever other than they are both dynamics boxes.
Old 26th December 2008
Well, to be fair, they are both kind of semi-rectangular with funny little colored doo-dads inside and some lights.
Old 26th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus77 View Post
Same with acoustics: It's uber-fast, so if you want to "wash-out" the transients of a strumming pattern, it'll work, but it can be overkill if you want to retain the dynamics of the acoustic part.
have you tried turning the attack all the way down, the release all the way up and backing off the input?

i can usually make most things sound good or better by doing that.

i don't like over-compressing things, at all. i love dynamics in music and always do my best to keep them and yet, i love me my MC-77s. perhaps it's because i use them so "gently".

in fact, i would take another 10 of them in a heartbeat.

wall-o-MC-77... mmm...

whatever floats your boat.
Old 26th December 2008
Lives for gear

oh, definitely... 4:1, needle just lightly moving on peaks, med slow attack, fast release... sounds good on almost anything.
Old 27th December 2008
Here for the gear

i've been reading all over gearslutz for opinions regarding the 1176ln reissue and the mc77. people obviously love their mc77s here, no question. but I haven't heard anybody say anything BAD about the 1176. the general comment seems to be that people love their mc77s. however, all of the reviews i've read online at soundonsound or mix magazine have raved about the 1176 and say it comes pretty damn close to the original. i havent been able to track down many reviews of the mc77. can anyone speak from experience about the 1176? from what i gather the 1176 has a darker, smooth sound while the mc77 is a little thinner, faster and flashier. is that accurate?

i'm looking to spend around 1500 bucks for my first analog compressor, and i've really only been considering those two options, because they seem to be the best in my price range. i'm looking for something versatile, something that is great for vox, guitar, bass, piano and drum submixes. are there any other compressors i should look into??
Old 27th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by espen askelad View Post
oh, definitely... 4:1, needle just lightly moving on peaks, med slow attack, fast release... sounds good on almost anything.
+1. this is how I use it also. Sometimes I set it a bit harder, like 3, 4 dbs GR. Still, I didnt yet found anything that the purple didnt work on....I usually set attack at 3 oclock
Old 27th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

i'm looking to spend around 1500 bucks for my first analog compressor, and i've really only been considering those two options, because they seem to be the best in my price range. i'm looking for something versatile, something that is great for vox, guitar, bass, piano and drum submixes. are there any other compressors i should look into??
Distressor will get you where you want to go.
Old 28th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlotus View Post
Distressor will get you where you want to go.
+1
Old 8th November 2012
Here for the gear

Purple Audio MC77

This machine is a beast. I use it for re-running tracks through.
I've used the 1176 before and this comes very close if not is equal to it. I love the little beast.

I just want another one to stereo link them together.

in time hopefully i will.

Jonestown Audio | Facebook
Jonestown Audio | Free Music, Tour Dates, Photos, Videos
Old 11th November 2012
Quote:
i've been reading all over gearslutz for opinions regarding the 1176ln reissue and the mc77. people obviously love their mc77s here, no question. but I haven't heard anybody say anything BAD about the 1176. the general comment seems to be that people love their mc77s. however, all of the reviews i've read online at soundonsound or mix magazine have raved about the 1176 and say it comes pretty damn close to the original. i havent been able to track down many reviews of the mc77. can anyone speak from experience about the 1176? from what i gather the 1176 has a darker, smooth sound while the mc77 is a little thinner, faster and flashier. is that accurate?
Check out the files I've posted here
Retro Sta-Level, CL1b, MC77, Distressor EL8 - processed files
Mc77, Urei, UA revision, etc

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search