The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Purple Audio MC77
Old 6th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Styer View Post
I have three here today.
original 1176 blackface.
MC77 and new new UA reissue ( i think ua is now using original part again)
I thought the re issue and the orig BF were very close.
The purple sounded good also but was the most different.
It was brighter/thinner than the other two.
Very useful information; New UA 1176 has a clean punchy sound but it also gently makes the low end a little bigger sounding. After getting a UA, the MC77 would be a good 2nd choice for a different flavor. Both are great compressors
Old 6th July 2014
Lives for gear

Mine is an early reissue serial # in the six hundreds. I sent it in last November cuz it started to make a little more noise than usual. New caps, output tranny and a few cold solders cost me around $200 with return shipping. And around 2 weeks to do so. A few phone calls in between to chat too. Can't beat the service.

I have no complaints with the sound of the reissue.

But if I was going to try another model I would love to hear the Warm Audio. Unbeatable price.
Old 6th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeen View Post
Mine is an early reissue serial # in the six hundreds. I sent it in last November cuz it started to make a little more noise than usual. New caps, output tranny and a few cold solders cost me around $200 with return shipping. And around 2 weeks to do so. A few phone calls in between to chat too. Can't beat the service.

I have no complaints with the sound of the reissue.

But if I was going to try another model I would love to hear the Warm Audio. Unbeatable price.
Thanks for the info on good service. I will stick with the UA as I don't want to have in the back if my mind I wish I had the UA version. I am sure the Chinese made Warm 1176 with external power supply sounds great but there is something about having a UA version; then a Purple one down the line!
Old 6th July 2014
Lives for gear

As good as all these different 1176 clones are, the ones to beat currently are as follows:

Lindell 7x-500. Not a true clone, but $300 for version of this classic design that has parallel compression built in? And it takes up virtually no real estate in the rack? These sound great for the money too. It's pretty ridiculous.

Slate Dragon. 1176 on steroids, with parallel compression and a host of other features at a reasonable price. If you need something more tonally flexible and bigger sounding the 7x-500, I'd go with the Dragon.

I love the design, but I'm not so hung up on using "classic" variants with limited controls by comparison. If I can crush and retain transients, why would I want to go backwards in time to a more limited version of the same style of compression?

I guess if I had to stick with the basic controls the Warm Audio WA76 is a fantastic price for an "authentic" version. I thought sound clips smoked. I just think EQ's in conjunction have a lot more to do with the sound than a compressor, and being able to keep your transients makes for a more natural image.
Old 7th July 2014
Lives for gear

Where did you get to hear the sound clips of the Warm Audio unit? I saw one video and I thought it was poorly done and the clips sounded horrible. Would love to see a video or audio clips that were well done for that unit.
Old 7th July 2014
Lives for gear

Warren Dent usually does a good job: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vu6FwthCaY

Search for WA76 on youtube and you'll find yourself a busy man all day long...

Dutchy
Old 8th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy15 View Post
Warren Dent usually does a good job: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vu6FwthCaY

Search for WA76 on youtube and you'll find yourself a busy man all day long...

Dutchy
Yup yup.

I just listened to the Zen Pro clips. But I'm used to Warrens library of sound clips by now, in comparison to other 1176 clones it really did well. Though I still think I'll wind up with x8 7x500's in my room this fall due to the price, additional features, and how much rack real estate they'll save me.

Even though I'm a huge CAPI fan I wound up going for x8 WA12's and another Little Labs Redcloud to attenuate them in my budget. So don't think I'm slamming Warm Audio by choosing the Lindell compressors. They're making incredibly great equipment for the money. I just think Lindell has a winner with the 7x500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoxxx View Post
Where did you get to hear the sound clips of the Warm Audio unit? I saw one video and I thought it was poorly done and the clips sounded horrible. Would love to see a video or audio clips that were well done for that unit.

If you listened to the same sound clips and didn't like them...try making tabs for all the 1176 type compressors listed for sale at Zen Pro. Then A/B the samples back and forth. While it's not the same as being in a room you know with speakers you're used to, it will be far more revealing.

If you use some pro monitors in a space you understand when you do it, all the better.
Old 8th July 2014
Jai guru deva om

FYI, I don't know if everybody notices this but you can download the audio clips in the Clipalator by simply hovering over them and selecting the down arrow.

It will immediately prompt you to save it locally.

You can then load the files into separate tracks in your DAW and solo them up side by side for instant comparisons.

War
Old 8th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
FYI, I don't know if everybody notices this but you can download the audio clips in the Clipalator by simply hovering over them and selecting the down arrow.

You can then load the files into separate tracks in your DAW and solo them up side by side for instant comparisons.

War
I do that too! It's a really good way to get an approximate of what's going on, I still think it's cool that you take the time to do it Warren.
Old 8th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post

War
Awesome. I really liked the MC77 a lot with its nice control, top end, and over all sound. What a great product.
Old 8th July 2014
Lives for gear

I loved the MC77 for bass -- modern and HUGE. I ended up selling it for a 6176 (which apparently is different from a UA 1176) -- The 6176 just has a lot more vibe... HUGE transformer on the thing, which might account for some of that color and vibe.

As I wrote here -- UNIVERSAL AUDIO 6176...How does it compare?

A 6176 sounds like this:

A MC77 sounds like this:

Both beautiful, just different. I prefer the classic over the modern with my compressors though
Old 9th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesyourman View Post
I still think it's cool that you take the time to do it Warren.

DITTO! Always appreciate your clips Warren. BTW - Your video on the WARM unit is the best one I have seen so far by a LONG SHOT! Nicely done!
Old 10th July 2014
Lives for gear
Any thoughts on an well constructed Hairball Audio clone?
Old 14th July 2014
The MC77 kills on bass. The best comp I know for this task. When searching for a dedicated bass comp I've A/B'd it with a Retro STA, SSL, 33609, Distressor etc and like it better than all the rest for many bass tracks I've tried. The mc77 to a Neve 1064 is my bass insert chain on the SSL and it always work great. From pop bass to electro bass to rock bass to upright bass.
Old 17th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanTan View Post
The MC77 kills on bass. The best comp I know for this task.
Agreed. It KILLS on bass for a huge modern bass sound. That was my go-to use for the MC77.

Again, I ended up selling it and getting a 6176 as the 176 compressor has a bit more vibe, 60's sound and can be more useable on vocals and other instruments.

I found the MC77 a bit too aggressive on vocals, but again, for a HUGE modern bass sound, nothing beats it the MC77
Old 17th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seditionary View Post
for a HUGE modern bass sound, nothing beats it the MC77
You should try the Serpent Audio Splice! Holy Moses!!
Old 17th July 2014
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesicily View Post
You should try the Serpent Audio Splice! Holy Moses!!
It's coming, Mike and I talk about it constantly and I swear he is getting close (rack version, not 500).

War
Old 17th July 2014
Gotta love the MC77 on bass!!
everyone does!
Old 17th July 2014
I love mine
Attached Thumbnails
Purple Audio MC77-screen-shot-2014-07-17-9.24.34-am.png  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search