The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sony C800G based vocal chains Condenser Microphones
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Sony C800G based vocal chains

Hi
I am looking to connect with Sony C800G users, even if you don't own one.
I would like to know the following:

1. What is your go to vocal chain for most of your C800G applications (ie. pre/comp/eq)

2. What style of voices/genre of music do you typically track?

3. What other chains do you typically use for vocals if you have other microphones that take priority?

Thanks
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 View Post
Hi
I am looking to connect with Sony C800G users, even if you don't own one.
I would like to know the following:

1. What is your go to vocal chain for most of your C800G applications (ie. pre/comp/eq)

All sorts of stuff. Straight in the SSL, API 512, 1073, and 1081 are all good picks. Easiest vocal comp is just a drop on of GR on an LA2A. But really, any good preamp and any good compressor as long as it works for the source.

2. What style of voices/genre of music do you typically track?

The kind that pay for the session. I don't generally use the C800 on soprano vocals - and I never use it on vocals that are going to be caught very close to the mic.

3. What other chains do you typically use for vocals if you have other microphones that take priority?

A million different things.

Thanks

Learn how it works, and work it.
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
Learn how it works, and work it.
Thank you!
Totally looking to learn and already getting into it.
I wanted to know what you mean by 'close mic' recordings? I typically do pop and keep the singer about 8-12 inches from the microphone.

Im also trying to find what a recommended vocal compressor is used with this microphone. I have a 1073 DPA myself but curious to find out which of either the Summit TLA-100A or a CL1B or an old LA2A could work? Summit would obviously save me about 2K over the CL1b....
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Most of the time I use my C800G with NEVE 1064.

I found that this combination works great with the highs of the C800G.

Mostly use the Sony for Pop, Rap or R&B.

I use it when I want that exact sound. Statisticly I don't use it more often
than my other mics.

There are a lot of sessions where I prefer my other mics .... and I have a lot....

So try the Sony on your own and find if it fit's you...

Same with compressors, Retro176, STA, CL1b, Neve 32264, 33609, LA2A, LA3a,... sometimes
nothing at all.

No standart setup, everytime a new color palette ...

wolfgang
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Morning..

CJ I see you're still at it huh? LOL

man you really need to stop asking the very same questions (in different ways) over and over and over. You've been doing it for a very long time now. Guys give you pretty good answers and you still create new threads asking the same questions. You could search your own posts if you don't believe me.

As I told you a few months back...take the good gear that you already have and just practice on your music and/or engineering skills. Leave all that overly technical stuff alone. heh
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

For what it's worth, the R. Kelly chain I've seen twice is C800G --> 1084 --> CL1B.

Basically, the C800G is really, really bright, so you generally need to couple it with things that will darken it.
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic View Post
Morning..

CJ I see you're still at it huh? LOL

man you really need to stop asking the very same questions (in different ways) over and over and over. You've been doing it for a very long time now. Guys give you pretty good answers and you still create new threads asking the same questions. You could search your own posts if you don't believe me.

As I told you a few months back...take the good gear that you already have and just practice on your music and/or engineering skills. Leave all that overly technical stuff alone. heh
Always at it. Thanks
I appreciate the bigger picture answers and my skills are fine but I always do find the answers amongst slutz for the technical stuff.
Hence I ended up getting a C800G... now thats a significant investment for me, and within a week, I nearly made all my money back. I am confident with my skills as a producer, writer but dont have a great knowledge of engineering, hence for mixing I do hire great engineers based on the budget for the project. However, I do feel that the more I understand, the more clear my path becomes. Thanks!
ps. I just purchased the sony a week ago. So I am unsure why you think its the same thread?
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrrayson View Post
For what it's worth, the R. Kelly chain I've seen twice is C800G --> 1084 --> CL1B.

Basically, the C800G is really, really bright, so you generally need to couple it with things that will darken it.
A ha.. I am starting to understand that. I tried it on the Focusrite ISA430Mk1 which is more neutral and it is certainly brighter.
However, I have a Neve 1073DPA and I am looking at the CL1B or Summit TLA-100A, maybe the Retro 176 even. Not sure which of the 3 would be the most versatile and bang for the buck for the set up I intend on having, which I am confident would work on the majority of singers I work with.
I was told by a alot of slutz that I need a mic per person etc etc., but for what I do (pop/rnb, some rock) the Sony appears to be so versatile. Hence I realize the more research I do and make a solid decision for myself, chances are I won't look back, and ofcourse will save some $$.
Thanks slutz.
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

c800g--- avalon m5 or 2022---summit tla 100

ej
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsongs View Post
c800g--- avalon m5 or 2022---summit tla 100

ej
...ooh.. did you say Summit? Can I ask what styles of music you typically use this mic on and how frequent? have you tried it on other preamps and compressors?
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

* 1073>CL1B>C800G Classic Pop/RnB/Rap vocal chain

* 737>C800G Breathy, airy vocals ala Mariah(excellent for vocal stacks too)

* My 1176 doesn't like the C800G..

* I have a 'safety net' 87, in case the C800G won't work

Hope this help
Old 22nd March 2010
Gear Head

I've been doing Kelly Clarkson's new record for the past few months.

c800g - Millenia STT-1 - CL1B

The STT-1 is the solid state side with the transformer. No EQ. The CL1B darkens things just a bit but there is no additional eq in the chain all the way thru the mix. Just a little more compression in the box.

Amazing vocal sound. Of course it doesn't hurt that it's Kelly (not R. Kelly)
Old 22nd March 2010

I owned an 800 for a while, the neve>CL1b thing is pretty standard for it. The top end on that mic can be overwhelming, anything to help balance it a hair is good. The mic sounds mixed right out of the gate with lows chopped and highs boosted. I don't know what other mics you have but I would not advise going into sessions with that mic as your only choice, when that mic works it's great but when it doesn't, whoa! Have a handy second mic.

my 2 cents
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDigi View Post

The STT-1 is the solid state side with the transformer. No EQ. The CL1B darkens things just a bit but there is no additional eq in the chain all the way thru the mix. Just a little more compression in the box.

cool. Are you engineering it or producing it? or both...
Thats a cool chain you have. Doesn't the STT have the tube option? Are you going with the solid state option? Also do you not use any compression or limiting on the STT and leave the CL1B do all the compression?
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstate View Post
* 1073>CL1B>C800G Classic Pop/RnB/Rap vocal chain

* 737>C800G Breathy, airy vocals ala Mariah(excellent for vocal stacks too)

* My 1176 doesn't like the C800G..

* I have a 'safety net' 87, in case the C800G won't work

Hope this help
It definitely helps. THank you.
Yeah I am noticing the ISA430 doesnt quite like the C800G either on Female but loves it on male rnb/pop.. maybe the solid state thing..

I have a CAD VX2 that can be a 'slut' sometimes and takes anything that is thrown its way and also a C12VR for that 'rock-ish' voice..I have personally noticed the CAD being so versatile as much as the U87, which works. However the fattness of the C800G is another story on the right singer....

It certainly appears that the CL1B is the proven Comp for the Sony C800G..Is Summit TLA-100A proven at all for pop/Rnb? Does Summit 'sound' oldschool? I know Retro 176 sounds so modern edgy and so does CL1B.. Curious to know if Summit sounds cool with a Sony C800G and 1073.....
Old 23rd March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:

A new record all ready?? Isn't "All I Ever Wanted" still very new? Only a year or so old, and singles still on the radio...

Anyways, that's awesome... you're liking it better than what she used before - the Korby Convertible with the 251 capsule, I believe?
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
skills as a producer, confident in my skills as a producer, but dont have a great knowledge of engineering

a *good* producer has skills on the engineering side..

I dunno...seems like the guys in the hip hop forum use the term differently?

what is the difference?
Old 23rd March 2010
Gear Head

Hi,

Sony C800-G + Stedman pop shield 5 inches from mic, get singer as close as possible.

Groove Tubes ViPre... with the impedance selector and adjustable rise time you can control the hi-end to suite the singer/ instrument

Tube-Tech CLIB
Manley Massive passive to tune in the vocalist presence
Digidesign 192

With this combination i haven't found a singer it doesn't sound great on.

Chris
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Always at it. Thanks
I appreciate the bigger picture answers and my skills are fine but I always do find the answers amongst slutz for the technical stuff.
Hence I ended up getting a C800G... now thats a significant investment for me, and within a week, I nearly made all my money back. I am confident with my skills as a producer, writer but dont have a great knowledge of engineering, hence for mixing I do hire great engineers based on the budget for the project. However, I do feel that the more I understand, the more clear my path becomes. Thanks!
ps. I just purchased the sony a week ago. So I am unsure why you think its the same thread?
Cool deal on your purchase. Now all you need to do is patch em in and have fun practicing on making good music.

And I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I, (and I'm sure many others have as well) have seen a bunch of "different titles" by you, but basically asking the very same questions within the threads. Its not that serious my friend. There's no need to 2nd guess yourself. Its up to you to take all the advice you have received for at least the past year or so and develop your own way of doing things. Good advice and a little bit of trial & error works very well. Theymore time you spend asking and then waiting on replies is wasting practice time.

"Sony C800G Price/Performance, Sony C800G based vocal chains, Best Vocal Tracking Compressor. Period., Best Mic for Pop Vocal for under $5K, What Should I Purchase First, Vocal Recording Chain Options, $6K US for Mic / Compressor, Pre Amp Choice and Vocal Chain., Pre Amp Choice and Best Vocal Chain. Please Help!"

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/searc...rchid=24588996

Time to let it go. Get some music done. heh
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Ray View Post

a *good* producer has skills on the engineering side..

I dunno...seems like the guys in the hip hop forum use the term differently?

what is the difference?
I am being respectful of the great knowledge of sound engineering and engineers who have busted their asses with their skillz. I never said I cannot engineer. i can give you a darn good mix anyday, but i never went to school to be an engineer nor have i spent years mixing and understanding the science/art. i greatly respect those cats.

as for producer vs engineer, its not the hiphop or anything else. its the sign of the times. Bruce Swedien is a great engineer but Quincy Jones is a great producer. Hence they helped each other on making the greatest record. You probably should get with the times?? ))
Old 23rd March 2010
Gear Head

The SST-1 does have the tube side. Even though the c800g is bright, I didnt want to have a tube mic, pre, and compressor. The CL1B did the trick.

She did request a c800g the first time she came in. For some reason, the c800g I have sounds unusually good. We went to Nashville for a bit and the one we had there just didnt have the same depth. Don't know why.

Im mostly recording and doing a little bit of mixing. The record is in the writing stages so we are doing a lot of songs.

Kelly is always working. Always writing new stuff. She has an amazing work ethic and really knows where she wants to go.
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic View Post
Cool deal on your purchase. Now all you need to do is patch em in and have fun practicing on making good music.

And I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I, (and I'm sure many others have as well) have seen a bunch of "different titles" by you, but basically asking the very same questions within the threads. Its not that serious my friend. There's no need to 2nd guess yourself. Its up to you to take all the advice you have received for at least the past year or so and develop your own way of doing things. Good advice and a little bit of trial & error works very well. Theymore time you spend asking and then waiting on replies is wasting practice time.

"Sony C800G Price/Performance, Sony C800G based vocal chains, Best Vocal Tracking Compressor. Period., Best Mic for Pop Vocal for under $5K, What Should I Purchase First, Vocal Recording Chain Options, $6K US for Mic / Compressor, Pre Amp Choice and Vocal Chain., Pre Amp Choice and Best Vocal Chain. Please Help!"

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/searc...rchid=24588996

Time to let it go. Get some music done. heh
Yeah if one had the same attitude about the health care bill, we would not have one. Thanks for the advise my friend. Since it's big money for me I guess I want to try and get as close as possible. With Sony, i have got so darn close to what I want. Whats funny is I was about to get a Manley Ref C until about 2 weeks ago based on all the GS advise/research etc., but then made up my own mind on the Sony and went for it. My point is, I really dont understand why it bothers you that I have many similar threads looking for similar advise but most of which are very specific and still not the same...
Why dont you go advise people out there who keep recommending "Aurora GT" for anyone looking to purchase a piece of gear? or those who send 'pm' messasges as soon as one starts looking for gear... lol...
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crizdee View Post
Hi,

Sony C800-G + Stedman pop shield 5 inches from mic, get singer as close as possible.

Chris
Hey Chris
I am curious to know. So for belting out rock/pop type singers, what is the total distance that you have them from the mic? I typically have been doing 8"-12" but it certainly appears that the sound is slightly better when they get more closer. More insight please......
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
The CL1B did the trick.

Hi
Thanks for the info. Great to know about the info.
I am curious to know more about the CL1B doing the 'trick'.
Did you CL1B manage to smoothen out the high tops or add a sense of dark tone to offset the C800G's capture?
I have a Neve 1073DPA and certainly get a nice color but looking to see how the CL1B would work with this combination. I also throw in an API5500Eq sometimes which gives an awesome woody like texture to the voice. Not conventional i know but seems to impart a unique color on certian voices. I dont even tweek too much of the eq but only run through it.
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah if one had the same attitude about the health care bill, we would not have one. Thanks for the advise my friend. Since it's big money for me I guess I want to try and get as close as possible. With Sony, i have got so darn close to what I want. Whats funny is I was about to get a Manley Ref C until about 2 weeks ago based on all the GS advise/research etc., but then made up my own mind on the Sony and went for it. My point is, I really dont understand why it bothers you that I have many similar threads looking for similar advise but most of which are very specific and still not the same...
Why dont you go advise people out there who keep recommending "Aurora GT" for anyone looking to purchase a piece of gear? or those who send 'pm' messasges as soon as one starts looking for gear... lol...
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

I got great results with a SSL k strip into a distressor. I recorded pop, r&B, and hip hop. I thought it was a nice setup. We had the usual avalon 737 but I think the combo was terrrible with C800. Super hissy in the top end. The ssl seemed to dull up the top end perfectly.
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotsoul4u View Post
I got great results with a SSL k strip into a distressor. I recorded pop, r&B, and hip hop. I thought it was a nice setup. We had the usual avalon 737 but I think the combo was terrrible with C800. Super hissy in the top end. The ssl seemed to dull up the top end perfectly.
Interesting. Thanks. Did you try out other compressors in the process and you narrowed it down for the project? Interesting with the 737.. yeah I hear on the smoothness for Mariah but didnt work on it for certain other voices. Seems as if the C800G is famous for the top end hiss. I agree that it is for certain voices and can be actually annoying with a few voices. However, it works so well with other voice.
Thanks!!

ps. can I ask what synth controller is on your signature? looks cool.. Axiom?
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

For James Lugo's kind of work I understand it might not be the go to mic everytime but for my line of music, pop Hip Hop RnB it's pretty much dead on 99% of the time. I record Every day with it and it's flawless, I never had to switch mic except when I recorded some cookie monster heavy metal music and i didn't want the singer near my capsule, he used my Sm7b.

I use it with a few different Pres for Lead/Main vocals : A-Designs Pacifica or Neve 1084 they both sound great with the Sony, the Neve kind work better for rap where the Pacifica has a smoother sound and suits more for Singers but that varies , I recorded Baby Bash new single and we ended up picking the Pacifica over the Neve for that song.

I like using the Avalon 737 for backgrounds, the 737 doesn't have that IN YOUR FACE sound like the Neve or Pacifica so it makes it a perfect candidate to record BGV and tuck them under the lead.
I also sometimes like to use my 610 with the Sony to record my Martin Accoustic guitar, very lucious sound , can get a bit boomy, don't let people tell you ONLY about the Sony's highs, this bad boy has some MEAN lows and being to close to the source could create some proximity effect problems.

Compressors well Usually the 737 if i don't want to compress, just use as a limiter to catch the few odd peaks here and there. For rap vocals I would use my vintage 1176LN it works great with the Sony, I tried to Purple audio and the re issue and they didn't work as well with my c800 as the mic is already bright, these modern units ad a midrange bump but that I would not call pleasant with that specific mic, the vintage one on the other end smooth everything out. For singers I love my La2a with vintage UTCs, same thing it smooths out everything. It's not right for every song but when it's right it's pretty much a done dead on, I recorded a singer last week using the C800G into Pacifica into La2a put a reverb on it a HPF and it was mixed !
on another note I'm eager to see what the nail compressor can do with the Sony, might be much better then the avalon, not as thick as the 1176 and more versatile then the la2a, I'll keep you guys posted!
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

Also using C800-Millenia STT-1 chain for vocals-with no EQ. No compression in the chain, sounds godly. STT-1 tube works kind of dodgy for me, so I leave it alone.
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthere View Post
Also using C800-Millenia STT-1 chain for vocals-with no EQ. No compression in the chain, sounds godly. STT-1 tube works kind of dodgy for me, so I leave it alone.
Hi
Thank you. I have never worked with an STT-1 before, but if you were to compare any other Preamps, could you find a close relative?
I have a Focusrite ISA430 MK1, Neve 1073DPA and a Demeter VTMP-2A myself but unsure how close these would be to an STT-1.
Does the STT-1 add a dark color to the vocal and perhaps even take away some of the top end?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search