The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sony C800G based vocal chains Condenser Microphones
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
Unfortunately I don't care heh
It's okay. We are all loved in one way or another by someone, whether we have a Sony or not
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Back on topic, I think you'll be extremely happy with your Sony no matter what pre/compressor combo you use. Lots of good preamps out there and all should work well with it.
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthere View Post
Back on topic, I think you'll be extremely happy with your Sony no matter what pre/compressor combo you use. Lots of good preamps out there and all should work well with it.
Did a female pop type voice today and a few others. I will actually post some up soon for thoughts and feedback. My neighbor wants me to get a very expensive mic stand.. he was pissed at me for having the Sony on a $50 mic stand..lol.. ima do that ASAP. CL1B to be paid for tomorrow and the Neve 1073DPA sounds beautiful on the Sony too
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Mic Stand for Sony C800G

Can some of the slutz please give me some ideas for solid mic stands that you guys use? My iso booth is fairly small so please take that into consideration.
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 View Post
To answer your question, yes I do have a decent vocal booth and a pop filter .. i posted some pictures before on this thread but it's probably hard to tell the size and shape of the booth..
Hi CJ, i've checked out the pictures. If you got the area behind the singer covered, I'd recommend you get a real traps PVB in front of the mic.. That windows looks a little too reflective..

Quote:
By the way, you mentioned about the vintage 1073s.. Do you think a 1073DPA (AMS Neve made, no Eqs) still do the trick in taming the Sony down a little compared to the Vintage along with a CL1B....I understand that the Eq component alone in the 1073, even if not tweeked, adds a certain color that a Neve with no Eq would not have..
Well i've tried quite a few vintage 1073s side by side with the AMS reissue and i can confirm that the reissue sounded nearly identical to the original. Not so with the DPA unfortunately.. Apparently the extra eq circuitry does something VERY nice to the sound even when disengaged. I remember the DPA sounded thin in comparison so i've sold it and went for the reissue.

Quote:
Checked ur myspace. Nice stuff man. I am working with a J-Pop artist atm as well and it's been so much fun!
Thanks man! I'd like to check what you're doing as well. Do you have myspace?
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstate View Post
Hi CJ, i've checked out the pictures. If you got the area behind the singer covered, I'd recommend you get a real traps PVB in front of the mic.. That windows looks a little too reflective..

Thanks man! I'd like to check what you're doing as well. Do you have myspace?
Thanks for the information man. DO you think the PVB is better and practical compared to say the Se Reflexion Filter?

Interesting about the 1073DPA... I have had all types of comments on the sound with some swearing its very close and some saying its very different.. I guess i will have to test it out someday. Have you tried the 1073 version from BAE?

Some of my work can be found at Clarence Jey on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos

Cheers !!
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the information man. DO you think the PVB is better and practical compared to say the Se Reflexion Filter?

Interesting about the 1073DPA... I have had all types of comments on the sound with some swearing its very close and some saying its very different.. I guess i will have to test it out someday. Have you tried the 1073 version from BAE?

Some of my work can be found at Clarence Jey on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos

Cheers !!
I have tested pretty much every clone and re issue before buying my 1084s and the dpa is a great pre but it's not the same as a 1084 or 1073 with the eq section. the BAE IMO is way too dark and didn't do it at all for me.
forget about the SE filter all it will do is create some comb filtering issue, try the GIK acoustic panels instead here is a video where I recorded paula deanda (j records) using two screens but remember that my entire room is treated as well.
Old 25th March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice View Post
I have tested pretty much every clone and re issue before buying my 1084s and the dpa is a great pre but it's not the same as a 1084 or 1073 with the eq section. the BAE IMO is way too dark and didn't do it at all for me.
forget about the SE filter all it will do is create some comb filtering issue, try the GIK acoustic panels instead here is a video where I recorded paula deanda (j records) using two screens but remember that my entire room is treated as well.
This trap is awesome, I think I might have to buy one of those. By the way, I A/Bed the original 1073 with my MA5 and the MA5 sounds very similar to it, in fact I think I might have liked it better (but it's subjective since I own one). Never used the DPA or reissue.
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
This trap is awesome, I think I might have to buy one of those. By the way, I A/Bed the original 1073 with my MA5 and the MA5 sounds very similar to it, in fact I think I might have liked it better (but it's subjective since I own one). Never used the DPA or reissue.
never used the MA5, I have never been a Huge fan of the 500 series, knobs too small on a lot of them 500 series always sounded like they were "missing" something compaired to their full rack equivalent, that's just me though
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Se Reflexion Filter?
dude, don't waste your money on that thing. sure people get some mileage out of them but i find it to be utter chit. you can buy or even fab better solutions for less. real traps "vocal booth" panels are way way better.
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi
Thanks for that. Looks great by the way.... the studio too!
I can see what you are saying for sure. I have a question though. With your recording, you were doing it in the main room itself. Mine is a booth which is double walled and about 6'X4.5' feet with one access door to it, that has a fiber panel on it as well. Auralex is what came out on the pics and I can change that if you think I should to fiber panels. I have 2x4 fiber panels on two sides of it the booth too. Now based on the size of the booth/room, dont you think over trapping would actually take away some of the life associated with the very very minimal amount of reverb in this booth or is it critical for the Sony C800g especially that I completely deaden the sound in the booth?

Also man, can you tell me which GIK it is that you are using as I cannot seem to find the exact one you are using on their website...

Cheers
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
forget about the SE filter all it will do is create some comb filtering issue, try the GIK acoustic panels instead here is a video where I recorded paula deanda (j records) using two screens but remember that my entire room is treated as well
I agree with everything you said! IMO the BAE and the M5 ain't got the 'balls' and color of the 1073. The dpa is nice but it doesn't sound as good as 1073. I've got rid of my RF for the same reason(comb filtering). The GIK stuff looks cool and the price seem right. In fact i've just placed a BIG order to treat my room I will use 2 screen panels behind the talent and real trap PVB in front of the mic.
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi
Thanks for that. Looks great by the way.... the studio too!
I can see what you are saying for sure. I have a question though. With your recording, you were doing it in the main room itself. Mine is a booth which is double walled and about 6'X4.5' feet with one access door to it, that has a fiber panel on it as well. Auralex is what came out on the pics and I can change that if you think I should to fiber panels. I have 2x4 fiber panels on two sides of it the booth too. Now based on the size of the booth/room, dont you think over trapping would actually take away some of the life associated with the very very minimal amount of reverb in this booth or is it critical for the Sony C800g especially that I completely deaden the sound in the booth?

Also man, can you tell me which GIK it is that you are using as I cannot seem to find the exact one you are using on their website...

Cheers
well you can't really overtrap in a booth, the room is so small that nothing good can come out of if you leave "liveness". in general you want to leave some areas untreated so you can have a natural sound but in a booth all you get is muddiness etc.. so your best bet is to completely treat it and make it as dead as possible or....get out of the booth and record in the control room if it's treated properly! my sony gives me a much better sound now that I record in a nicer treated room with high ceillings.
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstate View Post
I agree with everything you said! IMO the BAE and the M5 ain't got the 'balls' and color of the 1073. The dpa is nice but it doesn't sound as good as 1073. I've got rid of my RF for the same reason(comb filtering). The GIK stuff looks cool and the price seem right. In fact i've just placed a BIG order to treat my room I will use 2 screen panels behind the talent and real trap PVB in front of the mic.
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
well you can't really overtrap in a booth, the room is so small that nothing good can come out of if you leave "liveness". in general you want to leave some areas untreated so you can have a natural sound but in a booth all you get is muddiness etc.. so your best bet is to completely treat it and make it as dead as possible or....get out of the booth and record in the control room if it's treated properly! my sony gives me a much better sound now that I record in a nicer treated room with high ceillings.
Thanks very much for your advise. I appreciate that. Actually it may work for my main room as it has high ceiling and is treated. I got some good advise from Steven Klein before building it and designed the room accordingly and the acoustic panels etc. I will try it out. I did used to record in the main room before I ended up building my new studio and I noticed one of the advantages was being able to hear the performance live if you know what I mean, and not through the monitors. however, does it not bother you to work with headphones on while tracking? I notice in the Youtube you were not wearing headphones, so do you prefer that option and track without hearing the music yourself?
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks very much for your advise. I appreciate that. Actually it may work for my main room as it has high ceiling and is treated. I got some good advise from Steven Klein before building it and designed the room accordingly and the acoustic panels etc. I will try it out. I did used to record in the main room before I ended up building my new studio and I noticed one of the advantages was being able to hear the performance live if you know what I mean, and not through the monitors. however, does it not bother you to work with headphones on while tracking? I notice in the Youtube you were not wearing headphones, so do you prefer that option and track without hearing the music yourself?
lol on youtube that's not me, that's my intern
he wasn't tracking with headphones because I was using them, he just presses record and I listen
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
lol on youtube that's not me, that's my intern
he wasn't tracking with headphones because I was using them, he just presses record and I listen
Smarty pants.. I like it..lol..Ok... i'll try and find an intern soon..haha.. wish..
by the way, Can I ask if that is a GIK you are using or something else?
Cheers
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Smarty pants.. I like it..lol..Ok... i'll try and find an intern soon..haha.. wish..
by the way, Can I ask if that is a GIK you are using or something else?
Cheers
sure is !!
GIK Acoustics: GIK Screen Panel
talk to Glen or Frank, the GIK guys are great
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

In my honest opinion,the 800G is very over rated.
I never quite understood what all the fuss was all about.
Its too bright for my taste and just an ordinary ,WAY over priced mike.
Ive used one on occasion and I usually had to re record the vox recorded with the Sony.
It was ok for backing vox,but not for main leads...not for me anyway.
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
sure is !!
GIK Acoustics: GIK Screen Panel
talk to Glen or Frank, the GIK guys are great
Thanks bro. I appreciate it. Do they stand up pretty well or do you connect them together somehow?
Also man, out of line but can you tell me what mic stand you are using with your Sony? haha.. mine is okay but could be more solid and if you have had any 'trippin' experiences where the singer nearly trips on the mic etc in the past? (touch wood no!)....
Thanks again man!
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks bro. I appreciate it. Do they stand up pretty well or do you connect them together somehow?
Also man, out of line but can you tell me what mic stand you are using with your Sony? haha.. mine is okay but could be more solid and if you have had any 'trippin' experiences where the singer nearly trips on the mic etc in the past? (touch wood no!)....
Thanks again man!
They stand up very well, as far as as mic stand I'm using a very tall one so I can have it setup at all time and just bring it up high and place it where m screens are, it works very well but the mic stand needs to be pretty sturdy!
It's an Ultimate stand, I was gonna go for the Miking stand but it was $750, this one works very well and is only around $200 check it out here:
Attached Thumbnails
Sony C800G based vocal chains-photo-2.jpg   Sony C800G based vocal chains-photo-4.jpg   Sony C800G based vocal chains-photo.jpg  
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
Ive used one on occasion and I usually had to re record the vox recorded with the Sony.
Were you recording a pop/RnB voice or something different?
It certainly doesnt work on everyone, but when it does, Im noticing it's brilliant. I did some recordings during the week with 2 female clients and for the first time, I did an A/B against some of the 'radio' pop songs (which is the market I am competing in) and I feel I finally have a chance to deliver a solid vocal sound. When I hear it against a radio song, it feels the same, in some cases better (with the right singer)....
Old 27th March 2010
Gear Addict

owned a c800g personally for a few years now..

recently put 3 matched 6au6a tecktronik tubes in the mic and power supply. Custom Red shocks so I know its mine when leaving studio's

my chain is usually:

1073 > CL1B > AD16x

1073 > 1176 > AD16x

312 > CL1B > AD16x

...Depends what voice or song.

learned that c800g doesnt like metal pop stopper.. Using fabric only

dont really like this mic on anything but vocals. ok for accoustic gtr if used well.

Disagree with above comments, don't think its too hyped. my C12 sounds more hyped... depends on pre and comp.

Use it like a large condensor though, people tend to get too close to the c800g. Its hands proximity well but back off 12" or so in a dead room like you would with a c12 or 47 and voila.

Clips with my mic...

Tyga - Cali Love (I Tracked this in my home studio: c800g > 1073 > 192)

YouTube - Tyga - Cali Love (HD Music Video)

Peter Andre - Revelaton Album (all tracked with my c800g > 1073 > cl1b > 192)
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

They stand up very well, as far as as mic stand I'm using a very tall one so I can have it setup at all time and just bring it up high and place it where m screens are, it works very well but the mic stand needs to be pretty sturdy!
It's an Ultimate stand, I was gonna go for the Miking stand but it was $750, this one works very well and is only around $200 check it out here:
Thanks for the pics man. I appreciate it. So you use a boom too.... cool!!!
I think I missed that on the video you posted. Thanks man. I will check out the Ultimate Stand for sure. It looks pretty solid. Thanks again.

I am curious to know about the SOny C800G during recording,... when the high frequences in the voice stand out alot... do you typically eq in tracking? or later.... How much de-essing do you throw in the mixing for those types of voices..
Old 27th March 2010
Gear Addict

Just read the above subjective comments stating the DPA to not sound as good as 1073 w eq section.

My findings are the opposite. I much prefer the DPA with c800g over any 1073 original or re issue.

The Peter Andre Album Studio only had the 1073 BAE clone and I ended up bringing in a DPA to give me what i loved.

The best match I found recently for my ears is an original 1081 with EQ disabled.
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess Jackson View Post
owned a c800g personally for a few years now..

recently put 3 matched 6au6a tecktronik tubes in the mic and power supply. Custom Red shocks so I know its mine when leaving studio's

my chain is usually:

1073 > CL1B > AD16x

1073 > 1176 > AD16x

312 > CL1B > AD16x

...Depends what voice or song.

learned that c800g doesnt like metal pop stopper.. Using fabric only

dont really like this mic on anything but vocals. ok for accoustic gtr if used well.

Disagree with above comments, don't think its too hyped. my C12 sounds more hyped... depends on pre and comp.

Use it like a large condensor though, people tend to get too close to the c800g. Its hands proximity well but back off 12" or so in a dead room like you would with a c12 or 47 and voila.

Clips with my mic...

Tyga - Cali Love (I Tracked this in my home studio: c800g > 1073 > 192)

YouTube - Tyga - Cali Love (HD Music Video)

Peter Andre - Revelaton Album (all tracked with my c800g > 1073 > cl1b > 192)
Hi Jess

Thanks for the comments and notes. I appreciate it. I have a few questions if I may...
- Which 1073 do you use typically? Vintage, Re-issue or other....
- With Peter Andre, (whom I dig a lot as I am Australian as well), did you have the same proximity around 12".. Can I ask what comp settings you used on the CL1B? Did you use much Eq?
- As for the dead room, can I ask how large your vocal tracking room is and how 'dead' it is so it works best with the Sony?

Thanks again!
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess Jackson View Post
Just read the above subjective comments stating the DPA to not sound as good as 1073 w eq section.

My findings are the opposite. I much prefer the DPA with c800g over any 1073 original or re issue.

The Peter Andre Album Studio only had the 1073 BAE clone and I ended up bringing in a DPA to give me what i loved.

The best match I found recently for my ears is an original 1081 with EQ disabled.
Haha... I guess that answered one of my questions.. Thank You! Me has a DPA and I did an AB against a Re-Issue 1073 and it sounded pretty close. Have you had a chance to try it with a 1084?

My findings with the BAE 1073 vs Re-issue 1073 was that I liked the BAE sound better but could not dig the build quality, especially it being half covered, a few loose knobs and the steel cuts unprofessional.. BAE is a walking distance from my place here in the valley and Mark is really nice. Now I believe they have the fully covered version which I think it's cool.
Old 27th March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hi Jess

Thanks for the comments and notes. I appreciate it. I have a few questions if I may...
- Which 1073 do you use typically? Vintage, Re-issue or other....
- With Peter Andre, (whom I dig a lot as I am Australian as well), did you have the same proximity around 12".. Can I ask what comp settings you used on the CL1B? Did you use much Eq?
- As for the dead room, can I ask how large your vocal tracking room is and how 'dead' it is so it works best with the Sony?

Thanks again!
lemme see...

half the songs were 1073 BAE and half were DPA, cant remember which ones, we recut a few also... I preffered the DPA with the c800g

Proximity was around 8" for peter, he sings soft but backs off when belting.

I go with lowest gain setting on 1073, trim full clockwise as its the cleanest signal. CL1b for him I think it was gain +6 ratio 3-4ish Manual ATT REL 10 oclock attack, 9 oclock release, no EQ on tracking.

We used Room C of Will Smiths studio's Boom Boom Room in Los Angeles.

It used to be Rodney Jerkins room for many years, where all the brandy records were cut.

The booth is about 11'wide by 8' and low ceilings. real dead though.

Im just sayin that the sony is crazy sensitive. so the more you can block out outside noise/reflections the better you can keep a distance and avoid getting plosives.

I think theres some video of the sessions from TV on the net somewhere.

hope that helps mate
Old 27th March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Haha... I guess that answered one of my questions.. Thank You! Me has a DPA and I did an AB against a Re-Issue 1073 and it sounded pretty close. Have you had a chance to try it with a 1084?

My findings with the BAE 1073 vs Re-issue 1073 was that I liked the BAE sound better but could not dig the build quality, especially it being half covered, a few loose knobs and the steel cuts unprofessional.. BAE is a walking distance from my place here in the valley and Mark is really nice. Now I believe they have the fully covered version which I think it's cool.
Interesting, I'm local too maybe we'll do a shootout this week in chalice.
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
Yep. Like waaayyyyy over-priced. I'm talking like $5000 plus over-priced. $1200 should be tops for this mic.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search