The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Royer R, & SF Ribbon Mic.'s vs. Audio Technica 4080, & 4081 Ribbon Mic.'s? Ribbon Microphones
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Royer R, & SF Ribbon Mic.'s vs. Audio Technica 4080, & 4081 Ribbon Mic.'s?

Anybody tested the Royer R, & SF Ribbon Mic.'s vs. Audio Technica 4080, & 4081 Ribbon Mic.'s in a shootout for anything from drum overheads to guitar amps onto whatever reasonable sound source you can think of.

And, if so your opinions(don't be afraid to go into great detail).

Rob G..
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

i really would like the check out the new 4080 AT ribbon..

they look like really hi-quality mics.... built really well...

i can't wait to hear them... although i have heard that they are maybe slightly more clear than what's expected from a ribbon.....

maybe like the new shure ribbons, but not quiet as clear.

i look forward to trying them.
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

I'm surprised no one has tested these two groups of mic's side by side yet(at least not to my knowledge).

Rob G..
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Well, didn't the AT mics only recently come out?

That said, I'm interested in hearing them, as well.

TapeOp, are you listening? Perhaps a review we can trust?
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

The Audio Technica 4080 and 4081 were introduced last year.

Rob G..
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Don't know if this METAlliance certification of the Audio Technica 4080, & 4081 has any influence with any of you as far as products you'd be interested in at least trying out. But, the producer/engineers that are on the METAlliance board are 'stellar'. Their recommendation warrants at least a look/see(hear) in my book.

Link:

Audio-Technica - Microphones, headphones, wireless microphone systems, noise-cancelling headphones & more : New A-T ribbon microphones certified by the METAlliance

Rob G..
Old 31st March 2010
Gear Maniac

How different do these 2 mics sound ?
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

I recently used both of them on guitar amp and piano. The biggest similarity about them is that they both sound great and have somehow the same sonic signature.

The AT4080 is definitely a mic with a huge low end proximity boost. I found this a bit too much for guitar cab micing. With the mic at 1'' of the speaker I had to cut loads of bass from the amp and boost the highs. The sound in the room was rather thin but on the recording fat

I would imagine this mic to sound absolutely amazing on bass, kick or as drums room mic (they both can cope with high SPLs). The low end is fat with what I would call a somehow modern peak at about 50Hz.

The only thing I didn't like about the AT4080 is the shock mount. What actually holds the mic is a rubber band. Not only that it wasn't convenient to use it but as well I wouldn't put the mic upside down in any occasion.

I found as well a difference in the mid frequency response of both mics. They do sound different and sing in a different way. Both were great on grand piano. Truly fantastic sound. In the next few days I'll post some samples in the shoot-outs area.
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

Sheikyearbouti,

Looking forward to your test results. Have you used the Royers before. And, if so how does the 4080, & 4081 stack up against the R121, & R 122?

Rob G..
Old 2nd April 2010
Lives for gear

Rob, check the shoot-outs. I've uploaded some samples...
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Sheikyearbouti

Will do! Thanks!

Rob G..
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob G View Post
Don't know if this METAlliance certification of the Audio Technica 4080, & 4081 has any influence with any of you as far as products you'd be interested in at least trying out. But, the producer/engineers that are on the METAlliance board are 'stellar'. Their recommendation warrants at least a look/see(hear) in my book.

Link:

Audio-Technica - Microphones, headphones, wireless microphone systems, noise-cancelling headphones & more : New A-T ribbon microphones certified by the METAlliance

Rob G..
Are Coles, Royer, AEA, Crowley and Tripp certified ? If not, does this mean that the ATs are better ? Or that AT had suitable arguments for convincing the few members of the METAlliance to certify and to advertise their mics ?
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

didier.brest,

Check the following link:

The Music Engineering & Technology Alliance (METAlliance) - 'It's about the music.'

The site should begin to answer some of your questions.

Rob G..
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks. Very informative indeed.

Royer has one certified mic, the R-122V. Audio-technica has two certified mics the 4080 and the 4081, and one headphones ATH-M50.

Quote:
Pro Partners include Audio-Technica, Cakewalk, GML, JBL, Lexicon, Manley Labs, Millennia Music and Media Systems, Neumann, Prism Sound, Royer Labs, Sanken Microphones, Sonnox, TC Electronic, and Universal Audio.
Eight brands in the certified gear list among which seven are in the 14 pro partner list.

Kudos to DPA for their certified DPA 4011, undoubtedly a very good mic, while they are not a pro partner.

How becoming a pro partner?

Quote:
Those interested should contact:
Jim Pace, Dir. of Business Affairs: [email protected]
The Alliance is a Tennessee registered LLC.
Business Affairs, does'nt it mean making money?

C.
Old 8th April 2010
Lives for gear

Someone better make money, or else how else do these companies come up with the finances to do research, & developement. It's got to come from somewhere. If not, guess what? We get no new products to push the audio envelope with.

Rob G..
Old 8th April 2010
Lives for gear

The METAlliance does not make money for making R&D (at least this goal is not indicated on their web site). I guess that they make money just for making maney, which is good to them, by certifying the gear from companies who pay them for this purpose on their advertisement budget.

My guess is stengthened by the fact that they certified mics from Audio-Technica and Neumann that despite being likely marginal in the mic ranges of both these manufacturers in terms of sells amount are stongly advertised by both companies.

Neumann need promoting the digital mics because they are more advanced than their competitors in this technology but their customers are reluctant to displace the analog-digital barrier more upstream in the recording chain. Why is the KM-D range certified and not the TLM50s, which is much more used by professionals? Likely because Neumann does not need to promote a mic that is acknowledged as a great mic by most professionals.

Audio-Technica needs promoting their ribbon mics because they are not yet acknowledge as a ribbon mic manufacturer.
Old 9th April 2010
Lives for gear

What was meant 'was' that the manufacturers better make the money(primary focus). Not, so much the focus on the METAlliance. Otherwise, as I implied how do we get new 'kit'(equipment=gear)?

Rob G..
Old 9th April 2010
Gear Maniac

Sorry for being a smart ass but "METAlliance" sounds like a really good name for a heavy metal band.

Old 9th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob G View Post
What was meant 'was' that the manufacturers better make the money(primary focus). Not, so much the focus on the METAlliance. Otherwise, as I implied how do we get new 'kit'(equipment=gear)?
Of course! But you introduced the METAlliance in this thread. What I meant is that the METAlliance seems certifying the gear the manufacturer of which pays for its certification or as a member of the METAlliance, a membership for which they paid the METAlliance, required its certification. Hence IMO the METAlliance certification of the AT ribbons does not mean anything about their relative quality with respect to all the other ribbons from other manufacturers, which all are not certified except one model from Royer.
Old 17th April 2010
Lives for gear

didier.brest,

Have you heard the 'work' of the individuals on the METAlliance board. These are not producers/engineers that would put their stamp of approval on a product just because of some sort of financial support. The board members would be tossing away years of hard work, respect, & recognition for their hard earned fruits validated by numerous awards they, & the recording projects they've worked on have garnered. It's about specifying/certifying high quality equipment that meets certain standards, & performs above thresholds of the highest quality in the realm of 'high end' equipment.

Rob G..
Old 17th April 2010
Lives for gear

The fact is that all the companies, except one, who have certified gear are members of the METAlliance and that the membership canditates are invited to get in touch with the Director of Business Affairs of the METAlliance. So it seems that it is business first. It's usual, especially in sport and in art, that an an acknowledged professional and/or artist gets money for associating his name to a product.
Old 25th April 2010
Lives for gear

didier.brest,

Have you seen the applications/agreements required to become a member of METAlliance, or certified manufacturer? Or, are you taking for granted that the METAlliance board members are getting money, or some other form of compensation in return for granting entities memberships/certifications. Show/verify your statements with some proof.

Rob G..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search