The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Gear you sold, and then bought AGAIN! Condenser Microphones
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear

Gear you sold, and then bought AGAIN!

You slutz know what I'm talkin bout - that piece of gear you just got tired of, etc.. and decided to sell it for one reason or another. then one day you heard back some tracks you did with it and thought, "I was a fool, I should have kept it' - then you buy it back, only to re-live WHY you sold it in the first place.

Here's my short list:

1. Roland Jupiter 6. Believe it or not, I bought and sold the SAME one 3 times! First, to a gangsta rap group - and once I heard the album they did with it, I had to rescue it back. Second time to this 'Electro band'. Needless to say, third time wasn't a charm..

2. Akai Z8 & MOTU MachFive sampler. My skewed memory of a Z8 hardware sampler was that they 'sounded' better than soft samplers. So I sold MachFive and bought a Z8 again - guess what? I heard NO discernible difference between tracks I used them on. So I sold the Z8, rebought MachFive, then sold MachFive and now I don't use samples..

3. 60's Fender Mustang Guitar - you know the one - the blue one with the cheesy racing stripe. Sold it as a youth and bought one 10 years later - I didn't remember those things being such pieces of caca.

4. Soundelux U195 - Sold it cause I was using my SM7 more for vocals - if you can believe that. Bought it again - realized I didn't like my mics 'crispy' sounding...you know the sound, like a bad 414.

5. Gibson Flying V - Bought and sold a V, 4 times. They're like big girls - they're fun to play with till a friend sees you with one. Wish I could get over my V fetish...

You get the point...

What does this prove? Hindsight is 20/20 - and if ya sold it (and weren't cash-strapped), ya probably SHOULDN'T LOOK BACK!
Old 21st March 2010
member no 666

MXR "Mini Limiters"... they're fvcking awesome effects!!!
Old 21st March 2010
Art
Gear Addict

UA 2108, sold it through gearslutz, had a hard time finding another, bought one from sonic circus a couple of months ago.
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear

Great River MP-2NV...sold one because of an emergancy (I had a rather invasive surgery last year)

I plan to buy two more to have four channels as business allows for it. I think they're fantastic.
Old 21st March 2010
Gear Maniac

I Sold my Motif ES Rack thinking plugins would take its place... nope.
Old 21st March 2010
Gear Guru

Big Muff

almost ready to re-buy a danelectro guitar, a boss SD-1, and vaguely wanting, occasionally, cheesy mics like the Studio Projects B1, and ordered some Oktava O12s, but they got lost in the mail!!

also pondering re-buying the Sytek. there's just something appealing about all that gain in that one little knob. wondering if a Jim Williams high speed conversion of my 760X will take the craving away
Old 21st March 2010
Here for the gear

Marshall JCM900, these things hate me (or my fingers). Every five years or so I decide I need a Marshall (I'm a boogie guy), I buy one and it sounds great when my buddies play through it but very ass like when I play through it...so I sell it. Only to come back like Charlie Brown thinking THIS will be the time I kick that *#[email protected] football!
Old 21st March 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanmardukas View Post
Marshall JCM900, these things hate me (or my fingers). Every five years or so I decide I need a Marshall (I'm a boogie guy), I buy one and it sounds great when my buddies play through it but very ass like when I play through it...so I sell it. Only to come back like Charlie Brown thinking THIS will be the time I kick that *#[email protected] football!
I'm with you. The JCM900 is a love/hate thing for sure. One of the thinnest sounding Marshalls you can buy, depending on your guitar (and the way you play). I used to use them all the time because, for 10 years, it was the only amp that every single backline company had in stock. Then Fender came along with the 4x10 Hot Rod DeVille, and that was that. *Fatness*, what a concept! I never looked back. It's a totally different amp than the JCM900... and that's not a bad thing...
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear

I have bought and sold an Roland MKS-20 4 times!
I keep thinking, I wont need it. And then months later I realize I can't get that sound from anywhere else in the world.
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear

Back in the early 80's I sold a minimoog to get a dx7.What a mistake but I was able to buy another one from a guy I knew in the local club scene.
He was a crank addict and needed the money to keep his fix going.Bought it for $1200 which was a good price then.A steal nowadays.

Dan P
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear

Please don't ....this is painful. Analogue multitrack when ADAT came out - only to buy it back to finish projects. Drawmer 1960 (plan to buy again).

Self inflicted, this stuff
cdlt
Old 21st March 2010
jdg
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Reid View Post
API 2500 - sold it again..

A future lesson learned !
me2 LOL

i've bought it thrice, sold it twice
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear

In 1974 I sold a Neumann U-48 in great shape, for 450.00

I still have nightmares about it from time to time.

TH
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharemedy View Post
I Sold my Motif ES Rack thinking plugins would take its place... nope.
You can have mine - plugins HAVE taken its place.
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear

I let an incredibly good U47 get away - been trying to buy it back ever since - does that count?

Otherwise, no seller's remorse that lead to a re-buy.
Old 21st March 2010
Gear Addict

Yep, a few times I have been too quick to jettison the ballast.

Sold n' rebought:

Kurzweil Rumour - The plates, man, the plates!
Mesa V1 Bottle Rocket overdrive - Best OD out there, anywhere
Mesa Rocket 44 head - Outstanding studio amp, records itself while you doze and daydream about being young and chasing skirts

Next re-purchase: Great River MP2 NV

Sometimes I really wonder about me.
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear
SPL Vitalizer MKII Tube, i didn't really appreciate it till I had it no more
Old 21st March 2010
Pair of AT4047s.

Nord Lead2

Dynaudio surround rig.
Old 21st March 2010
Gear Maniac

Im on my third 909, second 303, second 808, second MPC 60, looking to get back the twin to my U87 that I sold for some dumb reason.

I used to find garage sale bargains and flip them on EBay when it first sarted. Then I sold stuff because we were convinced digital had surpassed analog and soon the inflated analog prices would drop, so sold they were!

Then, after 15 years of digital, I bought back every damn useful piece of kit I had sold, for more inflated prices than when I sold them!!!

Digital never caught up to the funk analog outputs, be it that last funky 5% or what have you. Never again!!!!
Old 21st March 2010
Gear Addict

I've bought and sold the green Line 6 delay modeler, the DL-4, at least three times... I always thought, "maybe it'll work for me this time", but I could never get on with it. I tried one this past December and decided to never touch one again.
Though I have some friends who use one to great effect with a Rhodes...
No no no - must resist temptation!!

J.
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Reid View Post
API 2500 - sold it again..

A future lesson learned !
Oh man! I'm in the same boat - I was contemplating buying it again. When will I ever learn

It was great at adding punch to drums - but I just couldn't jive with how it was messing with my stereo image and high-end freqs no matter what setting I used.
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear

For me, it's an item that is currently on eBay and I don't want to mention it here for fear of raising its value. But I will hopefully buy it again and if I win it (or if I lose it), I will mention it here.

It is relatively inexpensive thing that I should never have sold, 'cause nothing sounds exactly like it.

I didn't understand that it had a character all its own and could not be easily replaced by similar things.

When you're younger, you sell things because of their limitations. You don't have very much money and you notice and fixate on what the thing doesn't do. I sold my Manley Vari-Mu because I was frustrated by the things it didn't do well. And then I came to miss it for the one thing it did better than anything else.

As you mature, you start to understand that anything good in the audio world has a limited utility. Versatility is overrated.

- c
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear

Never look back after getting rid of gear but sometimes think about a rack mount MXR delay that sounded neat. Wouldn't mind getting some guitars back though: '58 White Falcon, '58 DuoJet, '62 Tennessean, '68 D-18, '67 360/12 ..and a dozen more. Oh well. HEE!
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear

I'm on my 3rd vintage Fender tweed Champ, like I need to be reminded it's the perfect recording amp.
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear
wunder peq
ada mp1
focusrite isa 110
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear

API 512's, 550's and 560's.

I always buy these as I need them, sell them, buy them, sell them... Always secondhand so they keep their value. I might lose a little on shipping but it works out much cheaper than hiring (renting) when I need more modules for album tracking etc.

R.
Old 21st March 2010
Gear Maniac

Now this is a nice, sluttzy thread!

Api 512 (and assorted 500 gear)
EL8's
U87

Every guitar effect under the sun...
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear

Yamaha SPX90

Gotta love some "Symphonic."
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
In 1974 I sold a Neumann U-48 in great shape, for 450.00

I still have nightmares about it from time to time.

TH
I just threw up in my mouth a little...If you have another one, I'll give you twice that much...

Wish I had the my Gibson Custom Shop '61 SG with the Maestro back...Or the Divided by 13 CJ11...or My dual racked Helios Type 69's...or the first Helios Dual Type69 1RU that I sold for $2750...or the Retro Instruments Sta-Level...Or the CM7-GT k47...or one of the many Santa Cruz's I've sold...or...
Screw it...I'm going to go drink some bleach...

I guess the answer is a Type 69...if I pull the trigger on the 500 series, it'll be the 3rd one I've bought...
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Not really a straight swap but I sold my turntables for Ableton live and deeply regretted it - but now I have 1210 mk5Gs instead and love Ableton for production so it all worked out happily ever after

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search