The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mixing into a Fatso Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 20th March 2010
Gear Addict

Mixing into a Fatso

So last week I added a Fatso to the pile as the last piece on the 2 buss in my Bruaer inspired mix setup. Ive been mixing through it, and while normally my mixes translate quite reliably - the addition of the fatso has polarized my mixes and ive been either really hitting or really missing it. When I miss it seems like im getting a crazy amount of sub 80hz.

Anyone more experienced with using a fatso on the 2 buss have any insight?

(im doing 2-3db of compression on buss, warmth on 3, tranny on, not linked)
Old 20th March 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono_3 View Post
So last week I added a Fatso to the pile as the last piece on the 2 buss in my Bruaer inspired mix setup. Ive been mixing through it, and while normally my mixes translate quite reliably - the addition of the fatso has polarized my mixes and ive been either really hitting or really missing it. When I miss it seems like im getting a crazy amount of sub 80hz.

Try keeping the "Tranny" function OFF and warmth around 1-2 on master buss. You'll get enough "glue" without that undesired eq color. Remember the Fatso does its trick even with no compression or warmth engaged, as soon as you let audio flows through it ("tape-like" sound). Great for drums and thin guitars that require more "meat".
Old 20th March 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:

While I love my FATSO (now UBK modded) I never really saw it as a mix buss thing - although like it better for this since the mod.
Old 20th March 2010
Lives for gear

Im also thinking of getting the fatso and running my mixes through it. Got any clips you can post with and without fatso on the 2 buss?

Quote:

Old 20th March 2010
Gear Addict

I could post clips but it would be pointless because im doing the whole mix through the fatso, so when you take it off the whole balance changes quite drastically and doesnt really represent what it does. I find that if you slap the fatso on a finished mix it rarely adds anything and usually just ruins a good mix.

If you you have in on from the get go it can do some awesome things. That being said, Ive been hit or miss with it on the 2 buss, but when it works its absolutely fantastic and when it misses its very average. Maybe I just need some more hours in on it with the tranny button off.
Old 20th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreySound View Post
Try keeping the "Tranny" function OFF and warmth around 1-2 on master buss. You'll get enough "glue" without that undesired eq color. Remember the Fatso does its trick even with no compression or warmth engaged, as soon as you let audio flows through it ("tape-like" sound). Great for drums and thin guitars that require more "meat".
Yep, same here.
I'll use a Fatso sometimes on the mixbus. Tranny always off, and warmth pretty low (1 or 2 for me too).
I (almost) never use the Fatso (bus)compressor on the mixbus. For me it's just to give it that "mixing to tape"-touch. (although it's a bit different than the real thing).
Old 20th March 2010
Lives for gear

Ok, hmm so you had to change your way of mixing when you bought it? It seems an odd way to buy a 2000 dollar piece just to use it softly and then not be able to listen to the mix without it...?? Sorry I'm just confused.

Quote:
I could post clips but it would be pointless

because im doing the whole mix through the fatso, so when you take it off the whole balance changes quite drastically and doesnt really represent what it does. I find that if you slap the fatso on a finished mix it rarely adds anything and usually just ruins a good mix.

If you you have in on from the get go it can do some awesome things. That being said, Ive been hit or miss with it on the 2 buss, but when it works its absolutely fantastic and when it misses its very average. Maybe I just need some more hours in on it with the tranny button off.
Old 20th March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilrocker View Post
Ok, hmm so you had to change your way of mixing when you bought it? It seems an odd way to buy a 2000 dollar piece just to use it softly and then not be able to listen to the mix without it...?? Sorry I'm just confused.
K I'll try and be a little clearer. I bought the fatso specifically to put on the 2 buss and, like anything strapped across the main outs from the onset of a mix, it will change how you mix because it sounds different than with nothing there. If you've done a mix with anything on the master whether it's a fatso, a uad fairchild, a 2500, or a cheesy bomb factory plugin, you will have to approach the mix differently because any eqing or level changes will all react differently than if there was nothing affecting the stereo sum.

If you've never tried mixing through a compressor, read up on it and give it a try. After you're finished your mix bypass the plugin or hardware and see how your mix changes and you'll see what mean.

As far as "spending $2k on a piece of gear only to use it lightly", just because something was expensive doesn't mean all the lights have to be on all the time.
Old 20th March 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
K I'll try and be a little clearer. I bought the fatso specifically to put on the 2 buss and, like anything strapped across the main outs from the onset of a mix, it will change how you mix because it sounds different than with nothing there. If you've done a mix with anything on the master whether it's a fatso, a uad fairchild, a 2500, or a cheesy bomb factory plugin, you will have to approach the mix differently because any eqing or level changes will all react differently than if there was nothing affecting the stereo sum.

If you've never tried mixing through a compressor, read up on it and give it a try. After you're finished your mix bypass the plugin or hardware and see how your mix changes and you'll see what mean.

As far as "spending $2k on a piece of gear only to use it lightly", just because something was expensive doesn't mean all the lights have to be on all the time.

Dont rise to the bait.

I think that there are lots of wonderful buss compressors out there.
Two of those that get the most love on gs are the drawmer 68 and the api 2500.
Had a 68 but sold it because it wasnt adding for me more than going OTB after ITB compression with a UAD 33609.

As I say the FATSO is wonderful but it may not be your best bet for the 2 buss.
Old 20th March 2010
Lives for gear

I really like the Fatso, but I've never had much success with it on the 2-bus. Of course, this is likely more about me than the unit.

REALLY enjoy it on parallel drum bus.
Old 20th March 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel saunders View Post
Dont rise to the bait.

I think that there are lots of wonderful buss compressors out there.
Two of those that get the most love on gs are the drawmer 68 and the api 2500.
Had a 68 but sold it because it wasnt adding for me more than going OTB after ITB compression with a UAD 33609.

As I say the FATSO is wonderful but it may not be your best bet for the 2 buss.
cool.... yeah i learned a lot over the past month, I just bought the fatso ( UAD) and started using it on mix bus and or drum buss. on mix bus always really mild settings and I never use the comp on mix bus.

Also if you don't mind, whats your experience with the UAD 33609 .. i bought that as well and was just trying to figure out the sweet spots and what to use it on. any advice would be greatly appreciated, Thanks
Old 20th March 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrusboy7 View Post
cool.... yeah i learned a lot over the past month, I just bought the fatso ( UAD) and started using it on mix bus and or drum buss. on mix bus always really mild settings and I never use the comp on mix bus.

Also if you don't mind, whats your experience with the UAD 33609 .. i bought that as well and was just trying to figure out the sweet spots and what to use it on. any advice would be greatly appreciated, Thanks
I find that for me it sounds great with the meters hardly moving.
Try valley lifter as a setting and reduce the ratio to 1.5. try a1 or a2 for release - obviously depends on the material but I do mainly acoustic rock/ blues.
Old 21st March 2010
Gear Guru

The key to the Fatso (either model) on the mix is to stick a gain controller in the sidechain and engage either the Buss or Glue comps, push away the compression with the sidechain control, and dial your input until you get the saturation you want.

Then, when the sat is creamin' your transients just right, you can ease the compression back in until you get the desired squeeze. 0-2db is usually all the Buss comp wants to see. Glue will, for the most part, go as far as you want to take it.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
The key to the Fatso (either model) on the mix is to stick a gain controller in the sidechain and engage either the Buss or Glue comps, push away the compression with the sidechain control, and dial your input until you get the saturation you want.

Then, when the sat is creamin' your transients just right, you can ease the compression back in until you get the desired squeeze. 0-2db is usually all the Buss comp wants to see. Glue will, for the most part, go as far as you want to take it.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Dear Gregory
That is my current method and I really like it - following your recommendation

ULN8 into midas venice/ubk fatso printed to a masterlink -- heaven!!

and 0-2 is it
Old 21st March 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel saunders View Post
I find that for me it sounds great with the meters hardly moving.
Try valley lifter as a setting and reduce the ratio to 1.5. try a1 or a2 for release - obviously depends on the material but I do mainly acoustic rock/ blues.
great ! thanks for that..

sorry for the diversion .. just had a quick question.
Old 21st March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:

Gregory Scott - ubk
Awesome, what would be a good gain control device to put in the side chain?
Old 21st March 2010
Are there any changes to the warmth function on the UBK edition Fatso that would make it better for 2bus duties?
Old 21st March 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenOne View Post
Are there any changes to the warmth function on the UBK edition Fatso that would make it better for 2bus duties?

Warmth is different on the different UBK presets. Splat has almost no response, part of the quirk of that weird compressor. Smooth is slightly less responsive than stock, and Glue is slightly more responsive.

None of that really makes it better or worse for the mix.

I tend to park the Warmth on the second click. It never shows any gain reduction, but it makes a difference.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 21st March 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Awesome, what would be a good gain control device to put in the side chain?

Any old passive attenuator, such as the atty, will do just fine.

Or a crappy preamp you don't use any more.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 21st March 2010
Thanks Greg! I loved the demo and vibe that each compressor adds and I really think I want to pick one up once I get the money. I feel like it would be a great tool for me to track with and if it can smash the 2mix then that's perfect for me!

Quote:
Warmth is different on the different UBK presets. Splat has almost no response, part of the quirk of that weird compressor. Smooth is slightly less responsive than stock, and Glue is slightly more responsive.

None of that really makes it better or worse for the mix.

I tend to park the Warmth on the second click. It never shows any gain reduction, but it makes a difference.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 22nd March 2010
Just picked me up a used Fatso last week, and it will soon be headed to UBK for the mod. Can't wait to check it out with greg's special touch on the circuitry!! We played around with the stock fatso on the 2 buss for a while and really liked what it seemed to be doing, but we didn't really delve to far into it. UBK all the way!!!
Old 26th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

Gregory Scott - ubk
I am only used to sidechaining iternal.. so sorry for my inconvenient.

I have a atty but i don't understand how i connect it and what you exactly mean.. have a ubk fatso.

Maybe you can help me so i can explore the machine better!

tx
Old 26th May 2010
Yup you start using the insert and it's a whole new ball game.
Old 26th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Any old passive attenuator, such as the atty, will do just fine.

Or a crappy preamp you don't use any more.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Hey Gregory, is only one atty necessary when in link/stereo mode?
Old 26th May 2010
Here for the gear

Hello everyone, I'm new to Gearslutz and this is my first post. I, too, use a hardware Fatso on my mix buss, and like jono_3, I use it from the start of my mixing process. I use it similarly to everyone else here...buss compressor with it hitting 2 - 3 db of compression with some slight warmth.

I also have the UAD Fatso and use that on my drum buss as well as other things. How come if I use my UAD Fatso, with the same exact settings as my hardware Fatso, on my final mix, my levels still surpass the 0db mark on my master output, yet, while using the hardware Fatso (as an external plug-in), my master output is limited at 0dB?
Old 27th May 2010
Gear Maniac

I love my fatso, i use it all the time.
I use it just like everyone else seems to use it on here.
On the 2 bus i rarely let it hit more than 3db reduction with warmth on 2, tranny out on bus mode.
On more bass focused music (dubstep etc) i generally run my subs with warmth on 7, tranny in and on bus or all in mode.
Pretty much every mix i do has a bit of fatso in it, even if its on the 2bus with 1-2 warmth, no tranny and no compression.

I use it all the time to warm up synths and to give a bit of meat/body to thin sounding guitars and vocals
Old 27th May 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by henge View Post
Yup you start using the insert and it's a whole new ball game.
how are you using the insert? could you give more details? heh
Old 27th May 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watersound View Post

I've never tried it but my guess is you could pull it off IF you stuck a dummy plug into the other channel's insert.

Otherwise the second channel's detector is still seeing full signal so both comps will respond to it. But if the second channel's detector is seeing nothing, then both channels will respond to whatever you let channel one's insert see via the ATTY.

Bear in mind I haven't verified this so I could be wrong, I'd love it if you could give it a shot and confirm. I'm always up for learning more tricks!

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 27th May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watersound View Post
I'm using a mackie pre off my onyx as my level control for the insert point on my ubk fatso. In linked mode the left insert controls the operating levels on both sides of the comp making it easy and accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobias schuch View Post
how are you using the insert? could you give more details? heh
Hi Tobias. Just plug a send/return cable into the insert on the back of the fatso. Plug the send side of the cable into the input of your gain control. Plug the return of the cable into the output of your gain control. That's it! You now control the level via the gain control device.
Old 4th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've never tried it but my guess is you could pull it off IF you stuck a dummy plug into the other channel's insert.

Otherwise the second channel's detector is still seeing full signal so both comps will respond to it. But if the second channel's detector is seeing nothing, then both channels will respond to whatever you let channel one's insert see via the ATTY.

Bear in mind I haven't verified this so I could be wrong, I'd love it if you could give it a shot and confirm. I'm always up for learning more tricks!

Gregory Scott - ubk
Thanks man, I'll give it a try and let you know...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search