The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mixing into a Fatso Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 4th June 2012
Gear Head

Been messin with the stereo volume controller, very cool. On the drum buss I can get the saturation cranked up, then with the volume control I can tweak in the comp for just a touch of compression. Works like a charm!
Old 13th November 2012
Gear Head

Im trying to do this a little differently and it appears to work but some aspect of it has me scratching my head and makes me think, its not really working right.

The track I want to process through the fatso is going out on channel 5/6 of my DAW and going directly into the fatsos inputs. I duplicated that track in my DAW and added a High Pass filter at around 240hz and sent that out of on channel 3/4 through TRS balanced cables directly into insert 1 & 2. Just playing into the inserts I can see the compressor is being triggered and the input knobs on the front panel do not appear to effect the compressors any longer. Great! That what Im trying to do. Ok now I un-mute the track I want to be processed and strangely enough, it appears that its now triggering the compressor and the inserts are "maybe" bypassed? I send 6db more gain into the inserts, cant hear or see any change on the sound or the compressor.

So where did I go wrong?
Or is it working but not how I thought?

Last edited by 2nd order; 13th November 2012 at 07:12 AM.. Reason: grammer errors
Old 24th November 2012
BMX
Here for the gear

I think i get it.. This means the signal you feed back should be zero latency right?.. So technically the gain thing could be a EQ, then you would have eq control over the compressed part that you feed back?.. *isdumbass*

edit: sorry my brain is currently not registering any text i think, its all just glyphs ..

somehow i want this sidechain thing to go thru ableton live but latency will fu that up no?
Old 9th July 2015
Lives for gear

Old thread I know, but i've been trying to figure out the side-chain with limited success.

I've got a proco rat (2 channel) feeding the side-chain with a couple of Y insert cables, and when I move the rat's volume, I only seem to be getting normal level indication/behaviour on the SPLAT compressor. With all the other comps, i'm getting zero indication of anything happening on the meters, or via my ears!!!

Any ideas??
Old 9th July 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by masaski View Post
Old thread I know, but i've been trying to figure out the side-chain with limited success.

I've got a proco rat (2 channel) feeding the side-chain with a couple of Y insert cables, and when I move the rat's volume, I only seem to be getting normal level indication/behaviour on the SPLAT compressor. With all the other comps, i'm getting zero indication of anything happening on the meters, or via my ears!!!

Any ideas??

i do it with a tc-level pilot and it works perfectly, maybe its bc you shift the fatsos threshold by turning down volume on the sidechain...the rat is acitve, i dont know about its unity setting
Old 9th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkor View Post
i do it with a tc-level pilot and it works perfectly, maybe its bc you shift the fatsos threshold by turning down volume on the sidechain...the rat is acitve, i dont know about its unity setting
Yes it's strange how it actually works on only 2 compressors...but not the rest.

I might have to get a level pilot. I'm guessing I just get a couple of XLR Y insert cables and plug them into it's cables?
Old 9th July 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Yes it's strange how it actually works on only 2 compressors...but not the rest.

I might have to get a level pilot. I'm guessing I just get a couple of XLR Y insert cables and plug them into it's cables?
exactly
the level-pilot is stereo, so if you need seperate thresholds for each side of the fatso you have to do it differently, but 2 pilots are still cheaper than 1 rat (?)
Old 9th July 2015
Here for the gear
It's works well with a simple berhinger Eq for guitar! You can high pass the signal, and there is a gain that do enough for this job!
My favorite drum compressors, for live an studio!!
Old 9th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
exactly
the level-pilot is stereo, so if you need seperate thresholds for each side of the fatso you have to do it differently, but 2 pilots are still cheaper than 1 rat (?)
That was the benefit of the Rat - A) it has 2 independent volume controls and B) I already own one!! Saying that, the right hand channel on the rat was controlling both sides of the fatso so god knows what's happening!!

I was under the impression any old pedal would do...

Last edited by masaski; 9th July 2015 at 08:44 PM..
Old 9th July 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
That was the benefit of the Rat - A) it has 2 independent volume controls and B) I already own one!! Saying that, the right hand channel on the rat was controlling both sides of the fatso so god knows what's happening!!

I was under the impression any old pedal would do...
u need a loop/channel (tip/ring) did u connect the rat INs too ?
Old 9th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
u need a loop/channel (tip/ring) did u connect the rat INs too ?
Yep, I used two Y insert cables into both I/O of the rat and then out into the Fatso inserts.
Old 9th July 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Yep, I used two Y insert cables into both I/O of the rat and then out into the Fatso inserts.
strange, hope your fatso isnt faulty :(
Old 10th July 2015
Lives for gear

I recently picked a used UBK fatso. I am a believer in this unit. Holy crap, this thing kills on the 2 buss.
Old 10th July 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Any ideas??
Isn't that a guitar distortion pedal? (I use the single channel variety)
That's designed for instrument level signals. Like guitars.

You need something designed for line level signals.

The way to really make this work is to get a cheapo 2-channel graphic EQ, like from DOD, with volume sliders. Then you have total independent control of saturation level and gain reduction. By frequency, if you want it. It's the only way to go, IMO. Otherwise you're just not getting the most out of the box.

Oh, and my latest favorite use of the Fatso.... don't feel pressured to make any of the "pretty lights" turn on! ;-) A touch of warmth function, but without even moving the meters. It can be just the perfect result (try it on acoustic guitar). A subtle touch of depth and smoothness.

On the other hand, I love to cream the warmth and toasty circuits without mercy on electric guitars (but no comp)
Old 10th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
strange, hope your fatso isnt faulty :(
Thanks...you gave me nightmares!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuffaloCave View Post
Isn't that a guitar distortion pedal? (I use the single channel variety)
That's designed for instrument level signals. Like guitars.

You need something designed for line level signals.

The way to really make this work is to get a cheapo 2-channel graphic EQ, like from DOD, with volume sliders. Then you have total independent control of saturation level and gain reduction. By frequency, if you want it. It's the only way to go, IMO. Otherwise you're just not getting the most out of the box.

Oh, and my latest favorite use of the Fatso.... don't feel pressured to make any of the "pretty lights" turn on! ;-) A touch of warmth function, but without even moving the meters. It can be just the perfect result (try it on acoustic guitar). A subtle touch of depth and smoothness.

On the other hand, I love to cream the warmth and toasty circuits without mercy on electric guitars (but no comp)
Yes, I think that would explain why the volume adjustments register on the splat compressor, which is pretty full on. In order for me to get meters lit up, the volume on the rat needs to be almost fully turned.

I agree - the box sounds lovely with zero compression with just the warmth circuit engaged

So I'm now looking for a cheap 2 channel graphic or parametric EQ - definiately need something with dual volume control.
Old 13th July 2015
Lives for gear

I use an old ART Pro MPA. It give me control over each channel as well as a HPF. When I want to use the Fatso on a stereo signal I just put it in link mode and then I can control compression with just one channel on the ART.
Old 15th July 2015
Gear Maniac

Right, then you have access to frequency dependent compression. Pesky sharp edges poking out at 6khz? Just raise that area of the graphic eq on insert, and the fatso 's comp will more selectively attenuate those peaks. Snare triggering the comp more than you want it to on a drum bus? Just notch the 200hz area on the graphic eq insert. Now the fatso's compressor will respond less aggressively to each snare hit. And each channel of the graphic eq should have volume controls too, enabling overall control of the comp threshold. Get a stereo graphic eq with decent markings on the vol. knobs for easy stereo matching. A unit with hpf toggles is also handy for taking low end out of the side chain.
Old 15th July 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel saunders View Post
While I love my FATSO (now UBK modded) I never really saw it as a mix buss thing - although like it better for this since the mod.
Is it possible to still get the mods?
Old 15th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Juliano View Post
Is it possible to still get the mods?
I don't think Kush does the mod anymore. You might check with Waves Distro which currently sells mod'ed Fatso's.
Old 29th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Pliis!! Ive tried almost everything now. Cant make this work. What do you use? What cables and what volymknob/ eq. When I connect a git pedal or a preamp I get a little bit less compression when I but everything on 0, as silent as I can get it. I really must be missing something here! Can someone pleasr help me!

Best regards!

j
Old 31st January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockxrock View Post
Pliis!! Ive tried almost everything now. Cant make this work. What do you use? What cables and what volymknob/ eq. When I connect a git pedal or a preamp I get a little bit less compression when I but everything on 0, as silent as I can get it. I really must be missing something here! Can someone pleasr help me!

Best regards!

j
Are you using an insert cable?
Old 31st January 2018
Gear Maniac

Yes
Old 6th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockxrock View Post

Best regards!

j
The side chain is using a line level signal. Do I understand that you’re running it through devices designed to work at instrument or mic level? If that’s the case then your problem may an impedance issue.
Old 6th February 2018
Lives for gear
Oh, this was a hot topic and a desirable item in 2010, less so in 2015, probably even less now. I sold mine about 18 months ago... don’t regret buying it, but don’t ever miss it or wish I had it back.
Old 7th February 2018
Lives for gear

I've got two UBKs and still like them/use them a lot. The comps are really cool for drums and bass, and just the a touch of the soft clipper on a mix really makes things more listenable. I was using the non-comp features just for tracking, but now moreso for two buss.
Old 7th February 2018
Loving my FATSO Jr.

Not on the 2bus but for everything paraller sounds killer.
Today during the tracking sessiong we ran a parallel kick/snare/toms into it and what came out was explosive. Instant rock’n’roll!

Cheers,
Andy

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search