The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
A great acoustic guitar can do wonderful things (attn Chap)
Old 5th June 2003
Lives for gear

A great acoustic guitar can do wonderful things (attn Chap)

It's my birthday on Friday so I treated myself to an essential piece of gear I was missing: a really phenomenal acoustic guitar. Well it arrived a few days earlier than expected and I just couldn't keep myself from opening the case ;-)

Good lord, it is sweet. In the last few hours, I've been playing all my songs on this new beauty and I feel like I'm hearing and playing each song for the first time. And it's so lush and reverberant- there's so much going on in there. I did a few quick recordings and man is it just super easy on the ears even with my feeble skills :-)

Every guitar nut should own one really really super nice acoustic. I'd gladly trade all the boutique electrics I've ever owned for another guitar like this.

At the risk of giving away a secret weapon, I'll tell you what axe it is: a stunning James Goodall Pacific Parlor. Check them out at www.goodallguitars.com <--- you owe it to yourself to play one!
Old 5th June 2003
Gear Nut

yep James and his crew make nice guitars over there in Hawaii. they are really warm sounding guitars with great overtones. Wonderful guitars...no two ways about it.

John Mayes
www.mayesguitars.com
www.dressingroomstudios.com
Old 5th June 2003
Lives for gear

John Mayes is a gear slut!??? I've been wanting to get my mits on one of your guitars for AGES! In fact I bought an Avalon U5 for my acoustic preamp based on what people say about how they sound with your guitars :-)

Cool, dude!
Old 5th June 2003
Gear Nut

Well I don't think I've risen to the ranks of Gear Slut as of yet...I think I'm stiull just "gear interested" but hey I'm hoping to be a bonified slut sooner or later

tha Avalon U5 does so rock. the first time I heard one was at a Jars of Clay concert. Steve Mason and Matt Odmark were playing my guitars and I was taken back! They have fishman electronics in them which I'm not a huge fan of fishman but man o man did it sound nice.

If I can ever do anything for you let me know! Hope your having a great night!

John Mayes
www.mayesguitars.com
Old 5th June 2003
Lives for gear

yeah, get me on that artist list of yours ;-)

you're talking to a seriously weak kneed guy when it comes to acoustic guitars... if I'm not careful I could end up with one of both of the guitars for sale on your website lol.
Old 5th June 2003
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally posted by John Mayes
Well I don't think I've risen to the ranks of Gear Slut as of yet...I think I'm stiull just "gear interested" but hey I'm hoping to be a bonified slut sooner or later

tha Avalon U5 does so rock. the first time I heard one was at a Jars of Clay concert. Steve Mason and Matt Odmark were playing my guitars and I was taken back! They have fishman electronics in them which I'm not a huge fan of fishman but man o man did it sound nice.

If I can ever do anything for you let me know! Hope your having a great night!

John Mayes
www.mayesguitars.com
John--

Would you maybe have any time Friday for lunch???

Steve, www.mojopie.com
Old 5th June 2003
Gear Nut

Steve,

Sure. I got a Luthier School going right now but I can break away for a hour or so. I can give the student things to do. Call me at the shop or e-mail me and we can get together. Either we can meet someplace in Norman, or you can mosey on out to my shop, or whatever.

Battleangel,

I hear ya man! I got a weakness too! Unfortuantly I don't even own one of my own guitars. I was really considering keeping the Parlor cutaway I have for sale on my site, but I'm not sure yet....I would love to keep it. It is the first Parlor with a cutaway I've ever made so it is kinda a neat one...plus it is brazilian! Thanks again for the nice words.
Old 5th June 2003
Lives for gear
I have weird story about acoustics. A few years ago, I set out to buy an acoustic for recording. The studio I used down in Norman had a Gibson J45 that I loved. A friend of mine had a nice Collings that I liked as well. I played around with everything I could get my hands on. Sometimes, I like to play lots of guitars. So, I went on a playing binge. There were no true small boutique makers but I did play some Collings, Martins, Taylors, Breedloves, Santa Cruz and a few others I can't remember right now along with a lot of others of less repute (a lot less). Anyhow, after playing about 100 or so acoustics I settled on a Tacoma parlor size with koa back and sides. It had been in a fire and was actually a real "fire sale" item. I brought it home and cleaned it up with Formula 409. It was covered with soot. It cleaned up real nice. It's been a good guitar for me. I must have been going through a weird period at the time as the No. 2 choice was Taylor with maple back and sides. Nothing else seemed to satisfy me. I never found a No. 3.

Anyhow, back to the original post, a new instrument can help you hear things in ways you've never imagined before. In a sense, they open your mind to rediscover your old songs and give you the inspiration to create new ones. I'd take a special guitar any day of the week over a piece of great studio gear.

Steve, www.mojopie.com
Old 5th June 2003
Lives for gear

Amen, Steve!
Old 5th June 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by ozraves

Anyhow, back to the original post, a new instrument can help you hear things in ways you've never imagined before. In a sense, they open your mind to rediscover your old songs and give you the inspiration to create new ones. I'd take a special guitar any day of the week over a piece of great studio gear.

Steve, www.mojopie.com
Steve, where were you when I needed you? Some time ago I tried to use the "great instrument providing artistic inspiration" as analagous to a great recording chain providing inspiration to a vocalist. But Alan H. jumped all over my ass and said neither concept was valid... (so I accused him of not being a musician, and he accused me of... oh well, no sense reliving ancient history...)
Old 5th June 2003
Lives for gear

lol littledog

I'll say that I think both are true. Just knowing all that sweet stuff is there can set the mind at ease and let the vibe flow ;-)
Old 5th June 2003
Gear Maniac

well I am just learning guitar but went to a store and fell in love with a Goodall... I wanted it bad cause it was just the sound I had in my head...but it was over $4000!! oh well... might try to pick one up used ... or if not will just settle for a used martin.... anyone know where I can find a good price on these in the nyc area?
Old 5th June 2003
Lives for gear

I buy my guitars at Rudy's music. If Gordon is there when you go in, you're in good hands. One of the nicest guys in the world. Certainly the nicest instrument salesman I've ever met.
Old 6th June 2003
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally posted by littledog
Steve, where were you when I needed you? Some time ago I tried to use the "great instrument providing artistic inspiration" as analagous to a great recording chain providing inspiration to a vocalist. But Alan H. jumped all over my ass and said neither concept was valid... (so I accused him of not being a musician, and he accused me of... oh well, no sense reliving ancient history...)
I'm sorry. I'll be more diligent next time.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search