The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sony C800G Price/Performance
Old 19th March 2010
Lives for gear

Sony C800G Price/Performance

Hi
I am considering purchasing one of these mics in top condition for Pop, Rnb, Rock-pop type work. Mostly Billboard type pop really.
I have a 1073 and will get a Retro 176 soon.
However, research tells me the Manley Ref C is a very safe bet and will/has delivered.
My question is, if I can get the Sony for $4.5K and the Manley for $2.5K new, is the price difference between the two justified?
My opportunity cost on $4.5K is maybe a Bock 251 or a Manley and a U87 as well. Versatility.
However, I would like to have one of the best (and now rarest) mics too in Sony. However, is the investment justified?
Im nearly about to blow up ....lol...haha... (aren't we all slutz...)
Thanks kindly!
Old 19th March 2010
Lives for gear

Well, I got my C800g for an exceptionally good price new, but even if I had paid $4.5k + for it, it would be worth it in my opinion. Literally every singer but one that I have had sing through it has come away awed at how good it makes their voice sound. A client pleaser, for sure. Plus, I very rarely do any eq-ing whatsoever. Saves time, and sounds great. Double win.
Old 19th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
Well, I got my C800g for an exceptionally good price new, but even if I had paid $4.5k + for it, it would be worth it in my opinion. Literally every singer but one that I have had sing through it has come away awed at how good it makes their voice sound. A client pleaser, for sure. Plus, I very rarely do any eq-ing whatsoever. Saves time, and sounds great. Double win.
Thanks. Can I ask what styles of vocals, male/female/genre that you typically use this mic with and what are some go-to chains?

For the the big question is, would that extra $2k over the Manley Ref C be justified for the versatility and quality of the C800G over Ref C for Pop vocals....
Old 19th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 View Post
Thanks. Can I ask what styles of vocals, male/female/genre that you typically use this mic with and what are some go-to chains?

For the the big question is, would that extra $2k over the Manley Ref C be justified for the versatility and quality of the C800G over Ref C for Pop vocals....
I use it for rock, pop, folk, electronic, you name it. I run it through an Amek Neve CIB to give some mid growl, and a Tube-Tech MEC1-A for a big, clear sound. I can say this - it is an expensive mic, but it sounds like one.
Old 19th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
I use it for rock, pop, folk, electronic, you name it. I run it through an Amek Neve CIB to give some mid growl, and a Tube-Tech MEC1-A for a big, clear sound. I can say this - it is an expensive mic, but it sounds like one.
Cool... So have you tried other 'expensive' mics as well?
How do you think it would compare to the Manley?
Thx.
Old 19th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cool... So have you tried other 'expensive' mics as well?
How do you think it would compare to the Manley?
Thx.
I have not tried a Manley. I own and use a Blue Bottle, Korby KAT system, and Blue Cactus as well. Couldn't live without the C800g.
Old 20th March 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks!

Update... Yup. Just got a Sony C800G untouched and stored since purchase
I did a session.. Did an A/B/C with other mics I have and looks like I am not going to look back..its brillianT!!!!!! .... and that's just through a Focusrite ISA430..have not even tried the 1073....

Thanks!!!
Old 20th March 2010
Gear Guru

Why that was a fast sell! Didn't take much convincing eh? heh
Old 20th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
Why that was a fast sell! Didn't take much convincing eh? heh
Lol... totally... It's like Cubase.. once you go there you never go back.. Cant complain at all... Its F....in BRILLIANT!!!!
So is Cubase.. had it for 14 years ))
Old 20th March 2010
Quote:
Thanks!

I did a session.. Did an A/B/C with other mics I have and looks like I am not going to look back..its brillianT!!!!!! .... and that's just through a Focusrite ISA430..have not even tried the 1073....

Thanks!!!
Maybe you need to test it against other mics before buying (so you can blow them out of the dirt) heh Make sure you post a vox sample too.
Old 20th March 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Lol... totally... It's like Cubase.. once you go there you never go back.. Cant complain at all... Its F....in BRILLIANT!!!!
Yeah Cubendo is great despite all the growing pains, or status quo pains.

Would love to have a Sony c8000. That kind of money is more coin than I want to part with though. What's the lowest used prices you guys have seen them go for?
Old 20th March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
Yeah Cubendo is great despite all the growing pains, or status quo pains.

Would love to have a Sony c8000. That kind of money is more coin than I want to part with though. What's the lowest used prices you guys have seen them go for?
3,5k, in great condition. Buying one in September , Until then, I'm using a friend's sony.
Old 20th March 2010
Lives for gear

Or when you been there

Quote:
you will never go backheh
Old 20th March 2010
Gear Maniac

"Swishhhhhhhhhhhh"... I can hear the ocean.
Ours are always on, so they're only good for about 6mos between getting shipped off for service & retubing. Be prepared to maintain.
Old 20th March 2010
theother
Quote:

If you spend that sort of money you should not ask questions here on GS expecting them to solve your problem, you should go, sit down and check out/listen to both mics. Then see if the price difference is justified for what you are looking for. It's the only way. There is no shortcut.

We all have different tastes and requirements. So asking around won't help.

I did the shootout and went for the Sony. Didn't like the Manley at all. But that is just me.
Old 20th March 2010
theother
Quote:
Thanks!

Thanks!!!
Don't be fooled by the ISA430. On many occasions I preferred it over the 1073. Really depends... whatever is right.
Old 20th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post
Don't be fooled by the ISA430. On many occasions I preferred it over the 1073. Really depends... whatever is right.
Hi
Completely agree on the ISAMk1. I have had it for about 7 years since it first came out and it has not failed me on any recording. The 1073 does add a dark color to vocals but todate, tie ISA has an allround vocal capture which is brilliant.
As an FYI, I got this Sony C800G (unopnened since new.. some studio bought 2 and kept one upopened) and I got to open it ))) I haggled a bit as he wanted 5K and I got it for 4.5 I did not mind spending it for a Brand New Sony C800G at all )) and my lordy lord... i tested a couple of my other mics against it with 2 different types of vocalists (pop, male female rap etc) and the Sony just killed the others I dont want to go back...haha..
As for Cubendo.. i recently had a drama on GS regarding Cubase peeps and PT engineers who were dissing me for using Cubase for mixing, but my studio is booked out everyday (hence the $ to afford Sony..haha) and some of the PT cats are already switching and learning a new art and loving it already.. haha.. spread the love people.. Props to Japanese gear too as I now use Sony and Yamaha (Cubase..lol)...
Old 17th December 2014
Lives for gear

Is it true the earlier models are better ?
Old 18th December 2014
Gear Nut

How did you get a c800g for 4.5k?
Old 18th December 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwilson View Post
If you look at the date, it was like 5 years ago.
Now the new ones are much more expensive.

dan
Old 18th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennaOkoye View Post
??
Old 18th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwilson View Post
Would probably be used price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennaOkoye View Post
Never heard such comment or that there would be a difference as all the components are still available.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search