The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My 1" 8-Track Machine's Transport in Operation Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 18th March 2010
Lives for gear

My 1" 8-Track Machine's Transport in Operation

I am excited because I finally finished the restoration of the transport of my 1" 8-track machine!

I acquired what was a do-it-yourself mess with a Stemco 1" transport last fall.
Stemco was a company that built one off analog decks in the San Francisco Bay Area back in the late '60s.
Their designs were copies of dis-continued Ampex machines and largely built from surplus Ampex parts.
The build quality was quite good and the transport works well even though it is now well over forty years old.

I had to design and retrofit a tape lifter system because the deck was built on an AG-350 platform which was an Ampex design that didn't have a automatic tape lifters.

My next step is to acquire eight AG-440 electronics.
Anyone have any sitting around gathering dust?

Here is a pic of the deck running a roll of 1" ATR tape.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1" 8-Track Machine's Transport in Operation-stemco-1-8-track.jpg  
Old 18th March 2010
Lives for gear

Hey Danny,
I might be able to come up with eight modules but they might be missing some transformers? They are from an old mm1000 deck that was sitting in a warehouse.I haven't been there in years so not sure if they are still there or not but I could check it out?

I have a 440 deck that I want to get working someday here myself.I think I have an old spare transport here in my garage too,not sure what model it is off the top of my head but it's ampex. I'm also the one with the old mci jh16 16 track deck that started a thread a few weeks ago.
Old 19th March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbubba View Post
I am excited because I finally finished the restoration of the transport of my 1" 8-track machine!....

My next step is to acquire eight AG-440 electronics.
Anyone have any sitting around gathering dust?
Danny,
I have gotten some much value from the posts you provided in James Luger's Studer thread I thought I'd try to pay you back by doing some internet research and locating some Ampex AG-440's for you. I just spent about 30 minutes scanning various internet sources i.e. eBay UK, eBay Canada, eBay Germany, various Craig's List cities that I can sometimes find recording equip. Nada. Zip. Nothing. I found some 440 manuals, a few 440 spare parts etc...but no electronics. Sorry and good luck.

Regards,
Tim Cochran
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search