The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help Linking modules in API 500VPR 10 Space Rack 500 Series Chassis
Old 18th March 2010
Lives for gear

Help Linking modules in API 500VPR 10 Space Rack

Hello, I'm in the midst of trying to link my two Inward Connections VC500's in my API 500V 10 space rack. Once removing all modules, I found that the API 10 space rack doesn't have the "link" spot directly accessible like the 6 space lunchbox does. Another user who's done the mod before mentioned that I have to remove the motherboard and do the soldering link on the back. So, I've removed the motherboard, but I want to make sure that I correctly solder the right pins together. There is no "link" spot on the back like in the front of the 6 space lunchbox. Radovan from API said, "Lunch box has LINK point but 500VPR 10 space rack does not, you should wire it directly to edger connectors soldering points on the motherboard." I know it's pin 6, but I don't really know my way around circuit boards very well. So, I've included a picture so someone can hopefully pinpoint where to solder. For simplicity's sake, let's say we're talking about linking module 1 to module 2. I'm figuring that if I count down to pin 6 from the top (the pins to the right of the XLR), I solder a jumper to the inner pin that is closest to the XLR (the left one of the two), and then connect it to the next modules 6th pin down. And, I connect it to the inner pin (the right one) that is closest to module 1's XLR. Is this right? I figured I'd post this thread in case someone else in the future has this problem. If anyone has the answer, it's much appreciated. Thanks - paul

Help Linking modules in API 500VPR 10 Space Rack-api-motherboard-back-.jpg
Old 18th March 2010
Lives for gear

Heard back from API. Here was my question. In reference to the picture from the last post, I asked : "Do I just count down 6 pins from the top? Also, does it matter if I pick the left or right part of the pins to connect the jumper wire?"

The response was: "Yes, you count down from the top, pin 1 is on the top of the motherboard, both pins should be connected and there is no difference if you solder it on left or right pin."

- paul
Old 18th March 2010
Lives for gear

On my lunchboxes, this link has a switch. A nice feature!

Last edited by Kronos147; 18th March 2010 at 10:56 PM.. Reason: Missed the post with response from API before I posted!
Old 19th March 2010
Gear Maniac

It's been a month since I did the mod to my 500V. What I did was looked at this spec sheet for an API mic pre, which shows pin 6 counting down from the top, and pin 6 designated for linking a compressor.

API 512C Discrete Mic / Line Pre

I think API only uses one side of the card connector, but you might look at your 500 device to judge if it even matters. Most likely only one side makes connection anyway and perhaps the 6 tiny pads (3 on each side of the XLR jack) on the board are all tied together on each channel already. Just count down from the top carefully and make sure your soldering doesn't bridge over to a spot above or below the pin 6 connections. Once you solder it up just do a final check for continuity with a meter to see if pin 6 is truly connected to pin 6 on your two compressor slots.

I did the mod to my brand new 500v and now my 527s compressor link up nicely!
Old 19th March 2010
Lives for gear

Cool, thanks Geetarpicker, I did the solder earlier today and it was pretty easy once I knew exactly where to do it. My VC500's are sounding great linked. I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy using them a lot more now. - paul

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search