The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Twin Focals in an untreated room? Monitor Controllers
Old 17th March 2010
Gear Addict

Twin Focals in an untreated room?

Hi fellas. I recently tried out a set of £2000 twin focal monitors. I played my own mix on them that sounded great on my trusty Alesis monitor ones yet terrible on the Twin Focals.

Id imagine they can do wonders for my mixes.

Thing is my room is untreated. Getting a set of Twin Foclas out of the box and just generally slavering over them is a turn on for me. Getting a few bass traps is , well, yawwwwn by comparison.

I have 2 grand to spend so either room treatment and stick with the low end Alesis or Twins and no treatment until I can afford it.

Whats best to do?
Old 17th March 2010
Gear Addict

A £1000 on treatment and a grab the Focal CMS65
Old 17th March 2010
Gear Addict

im just looking around my (and the wife's) bedroom and it is going to be so hard to treat. She'll go nuts if I start hanging things from ceilings etc

Im a total noob at this but can I just buy stick on acoustic foam all over the room as opposed hanging things from the ceiling?
Old 17th March 2010
Lives for gear

dude....

fix the room first. i had some twins but sold them because they sounded horrible...turned out it was my room that sounded horrible...wish i had kept them.

i can not stress enough how having an accurate room is far more valuable then having accurate monitors.

my room is better now and i am getting better results.

ej
Old 17th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kola View Post
im just looking around my (and the wife's) bedroom and it is going to be so hard to treat. She'll go nuts if I start hanging things from ceilings etc

Im a total noob at this but can I just buy stick on acoustic foam all over the room as opposed hanging things from the ceiling?
Look in the acoustics forum here on Gearslutz. You could build panels yourself if you want to save money. Corners of the room are most important for untreated rooms.
Old 17th March 2010
Gear Addict

ok guys, ill take your advice. Damn boring room treatment though.

Ill post up on the relevant forum.
Old 17th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsongs View Post
dude....

fix the room first. i had some twins but sold them because they sounded horrible...turned out it was my room that sounded horrible...wish i had kept them.

i can not stress enough how having an accurate room is far more valuable then having accurate monitors.

my room is better now and i am getting better results.

ej
We sell equipment...if you dont fix the room...you wont buy equipment very long
Old 17th March 2010
Gear Addict

Absolute no brainer. Fix the room first! Even just buying $100 worth of Owens Corning 703 panels (should be able to get 12 frmo a decent distributor - go to insulation company NOT online audio companies), covering them with burlap and hanging like pictures will pay off in spades!!

You can spend $50,000 on U47, Neve 1073, Lavry convertors, Avocet, best monitors you can buy etc etc . . . and try and capture magic in a bad room that is untreated, or mix in an untreated room.

But a decent engineer could easily record and mix a better sounding record in a treated room with a couple of shure mic's an Mbox and a pair of Audio Technica ATH-60's and some NS-10s.

That's what I found anyway. And it really is fun to have a treated room. More fun than you'd think!! Good luck!

Last edited by superjimmer; 17th March 2010 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: cleaning my logic!! LOL!
Old 17th March 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:

I have 2 grand to spend so either room treatment and stick with the low end Alesis or Twins and no treatment until I can afford it.

Whats best to do?

Hi!

Believe me, we like to sell Twins. but Twin6s in a untreated room is a bad idea. you would get better results from CMS65s and spend the difference in treatment.

We recently did a product demonstration in NYC in collaboration with Vintage King at Flux Studios. in one of the rooms we had CMS50s and Twin6s. the control room was designed by Fran Manzella.

we had customers who have Twins in their studio that were listening to the Twins in there and thought we had a new upgraded model because it sounded so drastically different than their own. They then quickly realised how much room treatment is important!

Sames goes with monitor control. I would rather use :

- CMS50s in a treated room with a Dangerous D-BOX

then

- Twin6s in an untreated room with a Mackie Big Knob

Hope it helps!

Simon @ Focal
Old 17th March 2010
Gear Addict

Helps??? Simon, I will sort of take your word as gospel on the subject.heh

Thanks fella.
Old 18th March 2010
Lives for gear

I got my Twins recently and also bought a load of acoustic stuff at the same time. The Twins arrived a few days before the panels and I can confirm that Twins + untreated room = a real disappointment. When you've spent £2k on monitors the last thing you want is to hear them sounding awful! They have considerably more low end than my previous monitors and they sounded all over the place below about 200Hz until I put the panels up and then...hey presto!

As you're UK based get a few of the GIK panels as they are fantastic value for money and now manufactured oop north.

Also I got my Twins from DV for around £1900 on a price-beat. Cheapest I could find
Old 18th March 2010
Quote:

DO NOT stick the foam on the walls/ceiling. It is a complete mess and nightmare if you ever decide to move them or take them down.

Talk to your wife... find some colors you both agree on. You could buy something like the ready acoustic bags in different colors or just make your own.

You could even have someone airbrush designs or artwork onto the panels to make them look more pleasing.

Try to use panels that hang using picture hangers or their own screw in hangers. Those are much easier to take down and move around than using adhesive glue!!!

Real Traps actually has some nice "pleasing to look at/wife friendly" acoustic products for home use. Same thing with RPG.
Old 18th March 2010
Lives for gear

Before we moved into our new studio space, i was temporarily monitoring in my untreated bedroom with the focal solo 6's.

I can tell you that in our new treated room (diy bass traps), everything sounds a billion times better. The first mix i did in the room was nearly spot on, in terms of translating to outside systems. I would've had to remix in my untreated bedroom at least 3-4 times before getting on the right track.

You should consider going with the solo 6, rather than the twins and spending the rest on the room treatment. you won't regret it. They might even work out better depending on the size of the room.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search