The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking to upgrade my Conversion from 192. Should I? Digital Converters
Old 16th March 2010
Lives for gear

Looking to upgrade my Conversion from 192. Should I?

I mix ITB and was wondering if getting an Apogee Big Ben or better would yeild much better results mixing ITB. Any ideal piece's and comments would be great. I have a PSX100 but that piece is older than my 192 so, I don't think that would be better. Anybody?

Thanx guys....

Marc
Old 17th March 2010
Lives for gear

I think the consensus around these parts is likely that you can, indeed, do "better" than your 192, but the question is really whether the expense is justified, given the degree of improvement you'll see. And to make that judgement, you're going to have to audition several pieces in your own studio.

I'm not sure that simply adding a better clock (like the Big Ben) will have an appreciable improvement. (I've tended to think external clocks are necessary only when you've got a zillion different digital pieces in your studio and need the manifold clocking such a unit provides, though the Isochome stuff might change my mind on that—if it weren't so freakin' expensive.)

If I were you I'd demo and Apogee AD or DA-16X and a Lynx Aurora 16 and go with what your ears tell you.

Best of luck.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search