The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What outboard you use to edit your analoge drumsounds? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 16th March 2010
Lives for gear

What outboard you use to edit your analoge drumsounds?

Hey you guys,

I guess there are a lot of users in here who use analogue drummachines like TR-909, TR 808, Acidlab Miami, Jomox xBase 999/888...etc

Of course they all sound awesome and do their job very well, but they only do their job: sound like they sound.

But internal we cannot enhance and/or edit sounds.
So we need external outboard equipment

Now I would like to know what you use to make your TR Sounds more exicting and more different..
Especially the ones who do minimal/techno/house I would like to know.

I am not interessted in effects but in compressor/Eq's and filters.

I am thinking about get an API Lunchbox together to let my TR 808 and Jomox xBase 999 run through.
But I have completely know idea if that is the best way, and if so, I have no idea of which modules are the best for my purpose
Old 16th March 2010
Lives for gear

Try posting in the Electronic Music forum about 8 forums down from this. That's where you'll find the owners/users of those drum machines. Up here folks record real drummers (for the most part).
Old 16th March 2010
Lives for gear

If you want them to sound anywhere past decent, you have to go thru a DI into a preamp. Compressing is really not mandatory, eq is good. The way I sweeten up my Jomox is Re- amping through a tube bass amplifier- then I mic it as if a bass player was playing thru it. There really is no reason to compress something that you have complete control over the volume/velocity of midi notes. Unless you are using the compressor as an effects box, doing extreme altering of the sounds- good on high hats and rides. Another trick is to drop the super low bass out of the kick with eq right away, really brings out the flavor.

Good 500 series stuff is API preamps, very fast transient response. If your into minimal techy stuff- neve style preamps are sweet as hell. Since your doing most your music from computers/boxes get a preamp w lots of color, will really put u ahead of your competition. Great River Harrison Eq's look cool!!! Any high end 500 series modules really!!!
Old 16th March 2010
Lives for gear

Thank you for reply ..

Can someone then please move this thread into Electronic Music forum ?
I failed..
Old 16th March 2010
Lives for gear

Plus, if your on a budget- get a good preamp(500 series or not) and a di box (unless already installed on preamp) - then compress/eq in the box. You want color and texture first!!!
Old 16th March 2010
Lives for gear

I was EQing and compression in the box for years now.
I though now it's time for a lil upgrade to make my sound more unique, more brilliant and to give it a lil more character.

So you thinks it is the better way to have good preamps first and doing EQ and Compression in the box instead of having normal preamps (Apogee Ensemble) and doing EQing anc compression outboard?
Old 16th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmost View Post
I was EQing and compression in the box for years now.
I though now it's time for a lil upgrade to make my sound more unique, more brilliant and to give it a lil more character.

So you thinks it is the better way to have good preamps first and doing EQ and Compression in the box instead of having normal preamps (Apogee Ensemble) and doing EQing anc compression outboard?
Your apogee preamps are a modern "clean" preamp. They are barely gonna change the sound and are basically a gimmick (as are all the preamps that come with converters). You need a good analog preamp to warm those dry digital type sounds, even the sounds you make inside the computer. Get a DI box and a Neve type preamp (great river,vintech,portico+many others) . If you are happy with your eq/comps ITB , save your money. If you got the $$ , get outboard eq/comps- will sound better but not night and day . Once you get those sounds through a nice vintage style pre, you will be very happy with them- trust me. Neve will match up to minimal perfect, if your doing stuff as fast as say psytrance- then API will suite you better. The sweeter the better!!
Old 16th March 2010
Lives for gear

Great, so well I should get a Neve preamps.
But I think it's gonna be an API. Only reason: they are more affordable.
A API 3124+ would be the perfect completion to my Apogee Ensemble.
So I have 4 Apogee Preamps and 4 API.. 8 totally.

If I would like to have this with Neve I had to pay twice as much
Old 16th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmost View Post
Great, so well I should get a Neve preamps.
But I think it's gonna be an API. Only reason: they are more affordable.
A API 3124+ would be the perfect completion to my Apogee Ensemble.
So I have 4 Apogee Preamps and 4 API.. 8 totally.

If I would like to have this with Neve I had to pay twice as much
True , but there are tons of companies that make Neve clones. That being said, you are gonna be happy as hell with a 3124. Thats one of the few pieces of gear that the used ebay price is only slightly less than retail- thats about as good as it gets!!!
Old 16th March 2010
Lives for gear

So what you recommend more likely: an neve clone or a 3124 ?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search