The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pre Amps With Eq? DAW Software
Old 15th March 2010
Gear Nut

Pre Amps With Eq?

I see that there are some high end pre amps with eq's. The only benefit I could see to that is tracking somewhere that had a lot of low end rumble going on underneath the sound source. Otherwise, I don't understand why it is advantageous to mess around with eq before the mix phase. Anyone?

Thanks,
Bugs
Old 15th March 2010
Lives for gear

if you know what you want to archive, it´s a big time saver + you got the eq free for mixdown
there are some tweaks i always do, not always the same settings, it depends, but like always getting the mud out and so on... so i don´t fear to do it the way in
it´s great to have the sound right at source and than already get a better picture when mixing
some will say you need no eq, use the right mic position/gear and so on, it´s true. but for some genres and situations good analog eqs are great and it´s fun, cause you can sculpt the sound a lot
and... if you see the eq can´t bring you where you want to get later, you can change the source, it´s maybe bette than trying later and than realize that eq can´t cure it
Old 15th March 2010
Lives for gear

Having an EQ on the preamp(or just an eq in the signal) during tracking helps in a lot of areas. I maining use it(them) to tweaking certain mid freq in different vox from artist to artist when needed, not just for cutting lowend rumble. In some cases the MIC that works best for a particular artist may still need a tiny bit of EQ here or there. Also, the EQ on some combo units can be used during mix down. (bypassing the preamp).

All depends on your workflow. I learned long ago not to be afraid of exploring outside of the norm. heh
Old 15th March 2010
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugstone View Post
I don't understand why it is advantageous to mess around with eq before the mix phase.
In my work I have always tried to record sounds to be as close to the "final presentation" as possible... so after I've dicked around with microphone selection and placement sometimes a sound still requires a little tweak here or there in which case an equalizer can be just the ticket... or... sometimes if you're working really fast and don't have the luxury of time to dick around with microphone selection and placement to the level you would prefer... often an equalizer is indeed the ticket to the promised land.

I try to record the sounds as close as possible to what they're going to be in the final presentation because I really don't want to have to make endless decisions at mix time. The greater the quantity of decisions you make during tracking the fewer decision that have to be made at mix... which means that instead of spending time doing "audio resurrection" you can spend that same time and brain power doing "creative" things.

The only "rule" is that there are no rules... so work as you will.

Peace.
Old 15th March 2010
I don't usually eq in the recording phase by using an equalizer. Normally I do it with mic selection and placement. Where the combo mic pre eq comes in handy for me is I use the eq's in the mix. I mix on an analog console so patching in a nice outboard eq is not a problem. But if you wish to eq on the way in it's andy to have it in the channel
Old 15th March 2010
Lives for gear

Aurora Audio GTQ-2. Done.
Old 15th March 2010
Lives for gear
Aurora Audio GTQ-2. Done too.
Old 15th March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugstone View Post
I see that there are some high end pre amps with eq's. The only benefit I could see to that is tracking somewhere that had a lot of low end rumble going on underneath the sound source. Otherwise, I don't understand why it is advantageous to mess around with eq before the mix phase. Anyone?

Thanks,
Bugs

High end question? riiiiiiiiiiiiight...

So many ridiculous questions in high end.... so, so many.
Old 15th March 2010
Gear Head

My philosophy

My philosophy is to get it sounded as good as possible as quickly as possible.

To me this means eqing and compressing before i hit pro tools.

It makes your tracking rough mixes sound a whole lot better.

Every project is different, but this approach usually works for me.

One of the runners at the studio says "I mix on the way in"

For example when i record drums i just leave the pro tools faders at 0, and make it sound right on the input side.

Daypass137 - Tracks - SoundCloud

theres a ton of examples of this workflow at the link above.

bunches of quick ruff mixes, with tracking eq and comp.

Enjoy.
Old 16th March 2010
Baz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by choinga View Post
Aurora Audio GTQ-2. Done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyGoldstein View Post
Aurora Audio GTQ-2. Done too.
Man, I found that just a hair of that 3.2k does wonders on e-guitars. I just nudged it off the center detent and it really gave the guitar tracks new life, going to the DAW. Very powerful EQ point for guitars.
Old 16th March 2010
Razor Sharp Hypodermic Clean Room Sterilized Samurai Sword

Old 17th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
I... so after I've dicked around with microphone selection and placement sometimes a sound still requires a little tweak here or there in which case an equalizer can be just the ticket... or... sometimes if you're working really fast and don't have the luxury of time to dick around with microphone selection and placement to the level you would prefer... often an equalizer is indeed the ticket to the promised land.

I've also experienced that some people will waste more time and/or advise others to waste more time "DICKING AROUND" than what's necessary.
Old 17th March 2010
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by haikusoftruth View Post
High end question? riiiiiiiiiiiiight...

So many ridiculous questions in high end.... so, so many.
So tell me about your Behringer gear!!! Damn it's just a forum, take a pill!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search