The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which K&M overhead stand? Condenser Microphones
Old 15th March 2010
Gear Addict

Which K&M overhead stand?

I'm getting a large heavy duty overhead stand to use for drum overheads having both mics on a stereo bar or similar.

I'm probably getting a K&M stand since everything from K&M that I've tried is awesome. But which one?

Which one of these would you pick?:

OVERHEAD MICROPHONE STAND: K&M - König & Meyer GmbH & Co.KG

...or...

OVERHEAD MICROPHONE STAND: K&M - König & Meyer GmbH & Co.KG
...with this one...
BOOM ARM: K&M - König & Meyer GmbH & Co.KG
Old 15th March 2010
Gear Maniac

I just got 2 K&M OH stands, I forget the model number so I'll have to get back to you on that, but the have a standard style tripod base but are really tall, everything on it is mad of metal and it is a great deal heavier than most mic stands you regularly encounter. It definitely feels very sturdy and I think I only paid like 100-130 per stand for them.
Old 15th March 2010
Lives for gear

KM210/21...or KM214/30 if you want it with wheels
Old 15th March 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHARRIS View Post
KM210/21...or KM214/30 if you want it with wheels
I have the KM210/21 too. It's a good stand and works well for parachuting a stereo bar somewhere. I record in a bunch of different locations. For me, the stand is a good mix of portable-yet-sturdy. I'm really happy with it. From what DJBlueDrink said, he has the same ones I have.

I'm not quite sure I'd call it a heavy duty stand. You only get the full horizontal extension out of it if the mic(s) are fairly light or if you buy/make a counterbalance. It's just a bit longer & heavier than your standard-issue K&M... which still makes it pretty heavy!

If you have cumbersome mics (eg: 4038s) you might want to drop the coin on one of the latch lake stands or jury-rig a counterbalance for the KM210/21.
Old 15th March 2010
Gear Addict

I usually use two Oktava MK-012 (not high end, I know, but it's the stands we're talking about here) on one of those K&M stereo bars with 4 threaded holes when recording drums.

I currently use one of these:
MILLENIUM MS-2300 - Svensk International Cyberstore

While the concept of a single stand in front of the drum kit for overheads works well, the stand itself does not.

So anyone tried the KM21430? If it's sturdy enough, it would be great since the base is much smaller than a large tripod.
Old 15th March 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek DiFilippo View Post
I have the KM210/21 too. It's a good stand and works well for parachuting a stereo bar somewhere.

If you have cumbersome mics (eg: 4038s) you might want to drop the coin on one of the latch lake stands or jury-rig a counterbalance for the KM210/21.
Would the boom arm on these K&M Stands be adequate for supporting say an sm7b without it drooping slowly? Or even a fairly standard LDC like a Shure KSM44?

Zipps
Old 16th March 2010
Lives for gear

We have some of the K&M models already mentioned.

We also have two Latch-Lake stands which, while they were a little pricey, are wonderful and never make me worry about the mics attached to them.

Zipps—the answer to your question is "yes."
Old 16th March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus77 View Post
We have some of the K&M models already mentioned.

We also have two Latch-Lake stands which, while they were a little pricey, are wonderful and never make me worry about the mics attached to them.

Have the 21430? How is it?
Old 16th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippsinc View Post
Would the boom arm on these K&M Stands be adequate for supporting say an sm7b without it drooping slowly? Or even a fairly standard LDC like a Shure KSM44?

Zipps
The boom 21231 is very well made and a joy to use.

/Peter
Old 16th March 2010
Lives for gear

I have 2 21430's and had 2 21411's on loan for a while.

My opinion:
21430: small footprint, looks great (atlas vibe), easy to manipulate, i keep them set up in the live room because they don't fit in my mic/stand cupboard). Made for a studio
21411: boom extends much further/higher (+2m with a heavy mic), larger footprint, klunky to set up but easier to transport in eg. a car. Made for live/remote.

Both are very good stands but the 21430 fits my needs better.

Herwig
Old 16th March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPoet View Post
I have 2 21430's and had 2 21411's on loan for a while.

My opinion:
21430: small footprint, looks great (atlas vibe), easy to manipulate, i keep them set up in the live room because they don't fit in my mic/stand cupboard). Made for a studio
21411: boom extends much further/higher (+2m with a heavy mic), larger footprint, klunky to set up but easier to transport in eg. a car. Made for live/remote.

Both are very good stands but the 21430 fits my needs better.

Herwig
Wow, thanks for the excellent answer! Exactly the kind I needed! I think I'll go with the 21430 in that case
Old 16th March 2010
BVB
Gear Maniac

Just got my 21430 today.
Holds up a M/S setup nicely.

Greets
Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Which K&M overhead stand?-img_0004.jpg  
Old 16th March 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiop View Post
The boom 21231 is very well made and a joy to use.
Thanks guys.

I'm definitely gonna have to get me a couple of these.

Zipps
Old 16th March 2010
Lives for gear

They are fine stands, although, I will say that once I bought one Latch-Lake, I had to buy another. I hate to be "that" Gearslut, but the Latch-Lakes are works of art and impeccible engineering. They're like those Dyson vacuums, where you find yourself getting uber-geeky when you get impressed by their functionality and really cool design.
Old 17th March 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
They are fine stands, although, I will say that once I bought one Latch-Lake, I had to buy another. I hate to be "that" Gearslut, but the Latch-Lakes are works of art and impeccible engineering.
I'll be looking into these too. heh
Old 17th March 2010
Lives for gear

Get Superrlux MS200

its a joke how cheap they are and it´s unbelievable which quality they got

SUPERLUX MS 200 - U.K. International Cyberstore

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search