The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help me pick an EQ to go with AMS 1073 DPD/DPA? Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 13th March 2010
Lives for gear

Help me pick an EQ to go with AMS 1073 DPD/DPA?

So my next big purchase is a 1073 DPD (please sell yours to me: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/wtb-w...-1073-dpd.html) and I want to plan my next-next big purchase - an EQ that will go well with it.
  • 2 channel
  • Budget of $1000-$3000 but hoping to stay $2-2.5k
  • Recording solo guitar (mainly electric, clean and dirty)
What do those of you who use AMS/Neve 1073s use for EQ?

For reference, I've been looking at the Neve 8803 (my pick so far), Great River EQ-2NV, The Hammer, and the Manley Langevin Mini Massive. Anything else I should include (or one of the previously-listed that I should exclude)?

========== Added based on comments ===========

Why am I not going w/ the BAE 1073s and adding converters to it? I have $3000 to spend now and, six months later, I'll have the other $3000. That's why the AMS/Neve 1073 DPD works for me now: I can buy great pres and great converters right now and add EQ in six months. If I go w/ the BAEs then I can't afford the converters for another six months and I would have to use my Tascam FW-1884's converters (instead of just using it as a control surface). My thinking on the DPD is that "great pres and great converters now with no EQ or software EQ" will yield better sounding results over the next six months than "great pres and great EQ with low-end converters". Please tell me if I am wrong or if I am approaching this incorrectly.

=========================================

Thanks!
Old 13th March 2010
Gear Addict

... Chandler ToneControl.
Old 13th March 2010
Gear Maniac

....api 5500
Old 13th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klauth View Post
... Chandler ToneControl.
I'm getting about $3500 for two channels plus PSU - a bit over my budget. I'll add it to my "find it used!" list - thanks!
Old 13th March 2010
Gear Addict

Really?

You are getting the preamp only version of one of the best known preamps WITH EQ... And you want to know what EQ goes best? With the preamp from a 1073?

UM... how about a 1073...?

REALLY? Please tell me this is a joke...
Old 13th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipsound View Post
....api 5500
Oh, very nice - seem to be a few people w/ this combo who enjoy it:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/4070307-post24.html

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/4073504-post38.html

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/4744153-post77.html

Thanks!
Old 13th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by haikusoftruth View Post
Really?

You are getting the preamp only version of one of the best known preamps WITH EQ... And you want to know what EQ goes best? With the preamp from a 1073?

UM... how about a 1073...?

REALLY? Please tell me this is a joke...
WTF - no reason to be a dick.

Yes. I have my reasons and I know why I'm doing it. Don't hijack the thread with non-helpful comments, please. If you have constructive criticisms or a suggested better route, then I'm very open. I have roughly $5500-$7000 to spend on two Neve 1073 pres, two DA conversion channels, and a two channel EQ. I can't find a more "economical and great sounding" match for pres+converters than the DPD hence the EQ question.

If you just want to respond in a smart-ass manner that makes you look good and me look bad, please don't post.

Last edited by Scott Whigham; 13th March 2010 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: Added why I chose this setup
Old 13th March 2010
Lives for gear

Neve 8803.
Old 13th March 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Whigham View Post
There is only a small issue about this combo...you'll need a HF pass filter, but you'll get a really big and warm sound..
Old 13th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipsound View Post
There is only a small issue about this combo...you'll need a HF pass filter, but you'll get a really big and warm sound..
Ahhh - thanks for the heads up. Do you happen to have any suggestions?
Old 13th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 7 View Post
Neve 8803.
It is my leading candidate - I like the idea of "Made together with love at the same factory." Thanks!
Old 13th March 2010
Lives for gear

It's really great EQ. I like filters and boosting HF is sweet. You can't go wrong with this unit. Great add-on for your preamp.
Old 13th March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
WTF - no reason to be a dick.

Yes. I have my reasons and I know why I'm doing it. Don't hijack the thread with non-helpful comments, please. If you have constructive criticisms or a suggested better route, then I'm very open. I have roughly $5500-$7000 to spend on two Neve 1073 pres, two DA conversion channels, and a two channel EQ. I can't find a more "economical and great sounding" match for pres+converters than the DPD hence the EQ question.

If you just want to respond in a smart-ass manner that makes you look good and me look bad, please don't post.
OK- since you asked and have absolutely NO CLUE! And FYI- you look bad because of the question, not my response. Its one of the silliest posts yet! I can't see your join date as I post but I would bet 2009 or 2010...

Buy a pair of BAE 1073s and a LAVRY or Benchmark stereo converter.

But to buy a DPD and ask what EQ matches it? The preamp they took from a preamp with EQ originally...

Maybe the one they BUILT AROUND IT? That would probably be a good match dont cha think?

Sounds to me like you are hung up on buying AMS but probably have no experience with that or the other units.

I would compare them intead of basing decisions of GS... Which there is no doubt you are doing...

So you are willing to drop 7 grand on stuff you aren't familiar with other than reading... Theres a reason this place has AD banners and PIMPs everywhere...
Old 13th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
... you look bad because of the question... Its one of the silliest posts yet!
I'm not interested in a flame war so I'll ask you in a different way: please stop with the personal attacks and either post helpful, respectful comments or just don't post in this thread. The suggestions about the BAE w/ the converters - great and welcome. The personal attacks - not so welcome.
Old 13th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Buy a pair of BAE 1073s and a LAVRY or Benchmark stereo converter.
Here's the problem with that for my situation: I have $3000 to spend now and, six months later, I'll have the other $3000. That's why the AMS/Neve 1073 DPD works for me now: I can buy great pres and great converters right now and add EQ in six months. If I go w/ the BAEs then I can't afford the converters for another six months and I would have to use my Tascam FW-1884's converters (instead of just using it as a control surface).

My thinking on the DPD is that "great pres and great converters now with no EQ or software EQ" will yield better sounding results over the next six months than "great pres and great EQ with low-end converters". Or do I have that wrong?
Old 13th March 2010
Gear Addict

Seeing as you are in the US the API A2D would also be worth considering, afaik it costs a bit less than the DPD stateside.
Old 13th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcha View Post
Seeing as you are in the US the API A2D would also be worth considering, afaik it costs a bit less than the DPD stateside.
Thanks Looked at it and I'm certain I want either the AMS Neve 1073 or the BAE 1073 for pres. Might be a great option for conversion though!
Old 13th March 2010
Gear Addict

Looking at the US prices, and considering your budget, I would say you shouldn't rule out the A2D. It isn't Neve but it is API, and if you couldn't do just as good a job with as as with the DPD then the problem would be elsewhere. You could then use the money you save to expand your mic locker or else put it towards getting an eq with Neve colour later.
Old 13th March 2010
Lives for gear

For all of haikusoftruth's a$$holiness, he did give me a good idea: buy the DPD used today, use it for six months, then sell it and buy two BAE 1073s and a good two-channel converter. I suspect the DPD will hold most of it's value for that short duration (velvet glove treatment, of course). That's the plan now unless someone can find fault with it? I totally agree w/ the BAE 1073s vs. the DPD+separate EQ comment BTW; I just have a problem with the "how" it was said.

So here's a smooch from me to you, haikusoftruth, for helping me come up with a plan. XOXOXOX
Old 13th March 2010
Lives for gear

You can also buy BAE 1073MP for $2000 and someone on GS is selling Lavry Blue AD/DA for $1500. Great converters for ridiculous price. It's expandable and you can use your EQ or any other outboard with it.
Old 13th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
You can also buy BAE 1073MP for $2000 and someone on GS is selling Lavry Blue AD/DA for $1500. Great converters for ridiculous price. It's expandable and you can use your EQ or any other outboard with it.
Very good advice indeed
Old 13th March 2010
Gear Maniac

Yeah, The 1073 eq is great. OP needs a thicker skin to play here. The question betrayed a certain level of ignorance. haikusoftruth was not being a dick or a$$ or anything. If you ask a question here, prepare yourself for the response.

Have you looked at the GTQ-2? It's slightly different but very good. And maybe cheaper...
Old 13th March 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks for all of the suggestions/ideas. I am definitely new/naive at this but really - I don't think my skirt was pulled up too tight; I think that guy was being a jerk

Quote:
Okay - newbie time again: how/why is this a better option than just going with the DPD? Is it the expandability of the converters that makes it better or is it the sound/quality?

I'll pay +-$2500 for a used DPD (judging by past sale prices here) vs. $3500 for the above and I still won't have an EQ, right? That seems to add $1000 to my expense. What am I missing? The BAE's w/o EQ aren't $1000 better than the DPD are they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by superama View Post
Have you looked at the GTQ-2? It's slightly different but very good. And maybe cheaper...
I'm adding the GTQ-2 to the list - thanks! The more I think, though, about it, the more I like buying the DPD now and then selling it to buy two BAE 1073s with a Lavry or other converter 6-9 months down the road.
Old 13th March 2010
Lives for gear

It's always better to have your converters separately. You can put eq and/or compressor after your preamps. It's not possible with DPD. It has inserts but you can insert just only one unit. Besides, you can use you're outboard in mix, DAW->da->outboard->ad->DAW. you can have 4 channels of AD and 4 channels of DA conversion with one Lavry Blue rack. So you can use in mix one stereo EQ and stereo compressor etc etc . . .
Old 14th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
buy the DPD used today, use it for six months, then sell it and buy two BAE 1073s and a good two-channel converter.
If you can avoid going down that route it would save you a lot of hassle.

Quote:
My thinking on the DPD is that "great pres and great converters now with no EQ or software EQ" will yield better sounding results over the next six months than "great pres and great EQ with low-end converters". Or do I have that wrong?
Or you could get great converters, great preamps with EQ straight away and not waste any time.

For a similar price to what you'd spend on a DPD you could get a Mytek AD converter and a Vintech 273 which is a 2Ch 1073 preamp with cut down EQ section.

Or if you spent a bit more you could get a pair of X73i's which have the full EQ section from the 1073 including the high pass filters.

Old 14th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
So my next big purchase is a 1073 DPD (please sell yours to me: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/wtb-w...-1073-dpd.html) and I want to plan my next-next big purchase - an EQ that will go well with it.
  • 2 channel
  • Budget of $1000-$3000 but hoping to stay $2-2.5k
  • Recording solo guitar (mainly electric, clean and dirty)
What do those of you who use AMS/Neve 1073s use for EQ?

For reference, I've been looking at the Neve 8803 (my pick so far), Great River EQ-2NV, The Hammer, and the Manley Langevin Mini Massive. Anything else I should include (or one of the previously-listed that I should exclude)?

========== Added based on comments ===========

Why am I not going w/ the BAE 1073s and adding converters to it? I have $3000 to spend now and, six months later, I'll have the other $3000. That's why the AMS/Neve 1073 DPD works for me now: I can buy great pres and great converters right now and add EQ in six months. If I go w/ the BAEs then I can't afford the converters for another six months and I would have to use my Tascam FW-1884's converters (instead of just using it as a control surface). My thinking on the DPD is that "great pres and great converters now with no EQ or software EQ" will yield better sounding results over the next six months than "great pres and great EQ with low-end converters". Please tell me if I am wrong or if I am approaching this incorrectly.

=========================================

Thanks!
I have a Neve 1073 DPA and I used to have a Neve 8803. I never really liked the 8803 and ended up returning it. It sounded good...but not good enough for the money.

I always liked the Neve sound combined with API. I'd recommend getting API EQs. I have some vintage 550a eqs which sound awesome with the 1073.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search