The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Where to find cases for tube mics and accessories?. Studio Monitors
Old 13th March 2010
Gear Nut

Where to find cases for tube mics and accessories?.

Hi, I am looking for blank briefcase style cases for storing tube mic kits (say a U47microphone, power supply, mounts and cabling) in my studio. Kind of like what a manufacturer would ship with a higher end mic. I will not travel with it so it doesn't really need to be roadworthy. Really more to keep everything together and stackable. I have bought some Pelican cases in the past but they are quite bulky. Similarly, Anvil cases are a bit overkill as well. It can be a bit more lightweight than those options. So far I haven't found anything, any thoughts as far as where to look?

Thanks,
Larry Heinemann
Old 13th March 2010
Gear Addict

Gator makes one with the diced foam so you can shape it your self. Plus they also sell diced foam separate.
Gator Cases is the manufacturer of musical instrument and audio visual cases - Utility Case -12" x 24" x 8" (GX-1224-8)

Gator GTOUR12X17FO Diced Foam For G-Tour12X17*-* Case Parts*-* Cases, Covers, & Bags*-* Accessories*-* PSSL.com

Why not make your own out of some 1/4 plywood and use the diced foam? This way you can get the exact shape and size you are looking for.
Old 13th March 2010
Gear Nut

Because it involves me getting 1/4 inch plywood and making it myself!

Actually a good suggestion if I had the remotest amount of talent making things, especially out of wood. I should have taken woodshop rather than orchestra in Junior High.

Thanks for the tip on the Gator case!

Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicondonn View Post
Gator makes one with the diced foam so you can shape it your self. Plus they also sell diced foam separate.
Gator Cases is the manufacturer of musical instrument and audio visual cases - Utility Case -12" x 24" x 8" (GX-1224-8)

Gator GTOUR12X17FO Diced Foam For G-Tour12X17*-* Case Parts*-* Cases, Covers, & Bags*-* Accessories*-* PSSL.com

Why not make your own out of some 1/4 plywood and use the diced foam? This way you can get the exact shape and size you are looking for.
Old 14th March 2010
tekis
eBay

eBay has wood mic boxes from time to time. Caveat emptor on Gator...
Old 14th March 2010
Lives for gear

For Neumanns, here

*****h&e**** Studiotechnik**********
Old 14th March 2010
Hey Larry try John Peluso
Old 15th March 2010
Better still, try Lowes. (Forgot to check and see if you are in the states.)

$20 will get you what they call a "tool case." It won't have the "pick and pluck" foam inside but you can order that online. Or you can use the foam that comes with the mic, usually cut to fit.

Here are mine, sitting inside the 2' x 6' "coffin" that is used for cartage to haul them from studio to studio.

Old 15th March 2010
Yup, I do the same thing. Lowes... actually the ones I got there do have the "pick & pluck" foam. That's here in Franklin, TN. Not sure about other locations.
Old 16th March 2010
Lives for gear

If you are looking for a GOOD< GOOD case. Then buy Pelican as used by the military. Water proof. The mic will float in the event of a flood. You never know. And its lockable. About $100 a case. Thats what I use for expensive stuff. Like $8000 mics or higher. The cheap chinese cases are just shxt. You get what you pay for.
Old 16th March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNX View Post
If you are looking for a GOOD< GOOD case. Then buy Pelican as used by the military. Water proof. The mic will float in the event of a flood. You never know. And its lockable. About $100 a case. Thats what I use for expensive stuff. Like $8000 mics or higher. The cheap chinese cases are just shxt. You get what you pay for.
Agreed. But buying a $100 case for your $100 mic is likely overkill.
Old 17th March 2010
Gear Nut

The Lowes case sounds like the ticket!

Larry
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search