The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Gear suggestions
Old 4th June 2003
Lives for gear

Gear suggestions

Extracted this from the studio plan thread as no one has touched the gear part yet.

I want to know in general if you used a place what gear would you like/expect added to the below. Thinking of getting a set of MD421's and maybe a pultec clone…Be realistic no SSL desks yet.
What else. Thinking mainly tracking at the moment. Thanks again, and thanks for the input on the studio plan thread..

Monitors: Quested VS2108, Rogers and Boombox.
Daw: PT HD3, 192i/o (extra 8 in), 96 i/o
Control surface: Control24
Outboard: Calrec Dual pre/EQ, API 3124, ISA430, Buzz Audio Dual, Drawmer 1969, Fatso, Distressor(coming)
Mics:
LD: U99, Classic 2
Ribbons: Royer SF12, M160 (2)
SD: KM85, AT 3527(omnis)
Dyn: Sm57 (4), sm58 (2), m88, D112, AT25, AT23e, sen 603
Old 4th June 2003
Another Distressor (so you have a pair) (onlyIf the drum room is large enough to be able to use room mics)

Royer 121

New UA1176 (or original blackface model)

Pair of DBX 160 vu's

Benchmark DAC- 1 to monitor PT & CD's (set C24 volume pot to max then control volume with DAC1)

Otherwise it seems fine!

(oh and .... Cranesong Hedd 192 as soon as you can aford it.)
Old 4th June 2003
Lives for gear

Thanks Jules.
So you agree with the pultec too.
What do you guys think there is a solid state real pultec around s/h at the moment of course more $$'s then either the Tube Tech or Summit.
I have heard mixed reviews of the tube tech and summit. Although most people agree solid state or tube pultec sound better.

Royer is on my list as well(probably next year not this), although not many around in OZ and I have a pair of M160's at the moment.
Apart from a set of MD421's that most people like as tom mics.
Any other mic suggestions...
I have no LD FET type mics..
Old 4th June 2003
Lives for gear

In your list of gear, I'd personally probably want to see a few more microphones in there.

Jules' suggestion of a Royer 121 is a great one... Usefull for a large variety of sounds from guitars to horns to ______ (insert your favorite- they seem to work well on anything)

There isn't much choice when it comes to condensers... I like using large diaphragm mic for a lot of my work from vocals to overheads to instrumental spots.

A couple possibilities of good multi-use mics.

Microtech Geffel M930 is a favorite of mine. LD in a very small case. Sounds (IMO) similar to a mid-era U87, but it is much quieter (The noise floor is *way* down there). While I prefer other mics to it sometimes, I have yet to hear it on anything where I haven't liked it. Great on pianos, woodwinds, brass, strings (especially low strings), guitar...

BLUE Blueberry- Smooth sound LD. Great on male voice, piano, woodwinds, brass... The top end is not terribly "peaky" like much of the newer Neumann and AKG stuff. Great mid range on it...

BLUE Baby Bottle- Tighter pattern and more neutral sounding (not LD, though).

Neumann KM-86 (2). If you can find these... One of my favorite Neumanns ever made. The low end and low mids are much better than the KM 84 due to the capsule construction. Another mic where I can't think of anything I haven't like it on... The switchable patterns (card. fig-8, omni) are also very useful.

Neumann UM57. If you find one of these in good shape... Great tube mic. LD, multi-pattern (one of Neumann's first switchable pattern mics). Have a great "larger-than-life" sound to them. Extraordinarily smooth sounding, but without much top-end. They aren't as multi-purpose for this reason, but they are great sounding. I've has best results with these mics on bass, brass players (the best), saxes, some vocals, main pickup for an orchestra (when ballanced with a full-frequency mic on the flanks like B&K 4006s or even Neumann 582 Omnis with the gold capsules).

SD- there are so many mics that work in this category I am not sure where I'd begin. heh Schoeps are, of course, a favorite. Also some more common mics like a Neumann KM 184 are cheap (relatively), but useful in lots of different situations. The T.H.E. systems or Octava may also provide similar use at a lower price. The new Josephson Series 4 may be worth checking out too...

Have I written to much? I guess I'm a mic slut...

--Ben
Old 4th June 2003
It really kind of depends on what kind of productions you are doing. In general though, you have two rather airy microphones that have an accentuated top end (although the Rode sounds nowhere near as good as the Soundelux). As a freelance engineer and studio owner I would prefer to have some mics that have a less excited top end as my main microphones, something like an E47 or iFET7. I find that gets more mileage, where as mics that have more top tend to be more specialized (but no less necessary in the long run).
Old 5th June 2003
Lives for gear

I will pick up the solid state pultec tomorrow.
I can always add a clone Pultec tube version later.

Another LD valve mic will probably have to wait a while, although a FET or two is possible. Maybe a U195,U47fet or the IFET, or even a few SP C1's or C3's.
Quite like the soundelux mic's although again not well known over in OZ. All suggestions are going on a shopping list and will pick up what I can get, Secondhand in OZ is a liitle lacking..

I have the stereo royer for overheads, with the AT omnis(there quite nice) and m160's I thought a set of SD cardoids..
Maybe km184's or something similar.

Would prefer to get a set of something else for toms but the MD421's. Always find them a bugger to get into a lot of kits. I sold my 441 and 421 a while ago. Although they are pretty standards.

If I break it up into mics for setups it would go at the moment
Kick At25 or d112
FOK classic or U99
Room Classic,u99,m160's,at omni's
Snare 57,at23
toms ???
OH SF12, M160's At omni's
Hat/snare bottom KM85,c418
Amp's 57,88,m160
Vox/acoustic instruments U99,classic,m160,SF12.

So if I go for the one room setup maybe a neumann km105?

Thanks guys
Old 5th June 2003
Is this for tracking or mixing?

For mixing maybe an La2a and a GML8200.

A Neve EQ(1073,1084 or 1081).

What about outboard effects?
Old 5th June 2003
Lives for gear

Hey Thrill,

More for tracking at the moment..
EQ: With the Pultec I have the ISA430 and Calrecs outboard and will be getting the Massenberg PT EQ(massive pack).
Theres a summit neve type like you have on sale although PT support for HD is not there yet.
A Vintech or 1073 type is still on my mind.

Compressors, are hard.
Well I have a fasto, isa,1969 and a distressor(coming)
Thought about and Al Smart c1 or c2, API 2500, Vari Mu, 1176, la2,tracker/stc8 and there is a S/H 2254e pair local.
All have there colors. Which one?? Probably cannot afford 2 at the moment. After I pay off the acoustics I will look again later in the year.

Mics: as below. another LD or two, set of tom mics another SD cardiod pair.

Outboard FX's will leave for last. The KSP8 looks nice..

Thanks guys.
Old 5th June 2003
Gear Addict

hey dave, where did you find that pultec? like you said earlier, secondhand gear is hard to find in melbourne. maybe let me know AFTER you have bought it eh!?heh
Old 5th June 2003
Lives for gear

Fatty, Actually the local trading post. Got my 1969 there to for US$1500, API 3124 from Sydney for US$1700 (at the time when the OZ $ was in the toilet around US50cents. ) Actaully oz$ buys US66 cents at the moment, although all the gear is still at the US50cent price.grudge

The guy with the pultec has a pair of 2254/e for AUD$6800...Will play with them tomorrow and see.
Old 6th June 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by davemc
Hey Thrill,

More for tracking at the moment..
EQ: With the Pultec I have the ISA430 and Calrecs outboard and will be getting the Massenberg PT EQ(massive pack).
Theres a summit neve type like you have on sale although PT support for HD is not there yet.
A Vintech or 1073 type is still on my mind.

Compressors, are hard.
Well I have a fasto, isa,1969 and a distressor(coming)
Thought about and Al Smart c1 or c2, API 2500, Vari Mu, 1176, la2,tracker/stc8 and there is a S/H 2254e pair local.
All have there colors. Which one?? Probably cannot afford 2 at the moment. After I pay off the acoustics I will look again later in the year.

Mics: as below. another LD or two, set of tom mics another SD cardiod pair.

Outboard FX's will leave for last. The KSP8 looks nice..

Thanks guys.
Hey Dave,

If you are doing only tracking than some API EQ's wouldn't be too bad.

When it comes to the comps, a nice opto for recording vocals/bass works great, La2a or CL1B. Also you gotta have a 1176 or two around.
Old 6th June 2003
Lives for gear

I have the 2254/e for the weekend to try, really liking it.
Will go back down with fresher ears later tonight..
I have a band saturday and sunday and monday night for real world trying. Might pick this up as its around, A 1176 yes maybe a LA2 soon.. Both of those are easily picked up later..
The pultec solid state sounds nice as well.
Thought of a lunch box API with a few eq's.

Mics will probably get a set of 421's for toms...
A KMS105 for live in room/control room vocal mic.
A set of SD cardiods..Maybe the THE mics I can get those local.
The other mics I do not know...Will see what is around..
Old 6th June 2003
Mindreader

agree:
Dac
Royer 121

disagree:
Quested's. Hate them.
Old 7th June 2003
Gear Nut

outboard

You have a lot of "Attitude" in your outboard gear list. It might be nice to have some nice clean compressors to complement your Distressors and Fatso. On the low end there are RNC's....but if you can spend some money, Daking's are nice!

If I were you I would lose the ISA430. There is very little difference between the pre's in the ISA 430 and the pre's in the C24. I would instead spend the money on a good general purpose pre like a Great River or Millenia Media.

Andrew
Old 7th June 2003
Lives for gear

Hey Bev,
I already have and really like the quested's. We do not have Adam's in OZ. Liked the PMC's although the quested's to me sounded great. After 6 months I am still happy.
The royers are not really well known over here? The distributor retails them at AUD$2995(US$2k). This and it took 7-8 weeks to get my stereo mic in does not help sales in OZ me thinks. There is a lot of gear here that has bad distributors although thats another topic.

Hi mtsupiano, Well I have thought about selling the ISA430 before.. The eq/comp and desser are cool though the pre by itself well? Although the pres are a bigger step up then the control24 pres. Really happy with the 2254, like the comp more then my 1969 and fatso. The ISA,1969 and fatso all go through my like and not like stages compared with the Buzz,API and Calrec which I normally always like.
I have a lot of Pro Tools comps for more uncolored things.
Old 8th June 2003
Lives for gear

The same problem over here with the blue mics.
Baby bottle RRPAUD$1695(US$1100) or double the US$'s.
Dragonfly RRP$2750(US$1850) again double what they go for.
Yes I can push for better then retail but with 50% markups over US$'s. We do have 10% GST so ok 40% markup.
Yes I can and have ordered straight from the net before.
Although I would just like to try before I buy and I would feel like a bastard if I get a mic from the local store.
Try it.. Like it.. Then order US as we are 50% more...

Theres a Beyer MC740 local that I am finding out about..
Also a pair of 451eb's and a re20..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search