The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
V72's for OH?
Old 4th June 2003
Lives for gear

V72's for OH?

Hey guys,

I'm wondering how V72 pre's would sound for drum overheads. The mics will be AKG 451B's.

Can the V72 handle the singnal level? I've noticed that I can't use the V72 for the front of guitar cabs, even with a 57. It will distort (in a bad way). Should I worry about OH drums?

thanks,

Chris
Old 4th June 2003
Lives for gear

I suggest you have a competant tech (I use TAB-Funkenwerk) to rig your units with pads
I haven't had an issue like yours but then again I'll put a ribbon on an amp before a 57!
Old 4th June 2003
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Tholen
I suggest you have a competant tech (I use TAB-Funkenwerk) to rig your units with pads
I haven't had an issue like yours but then again I'll put a ribbon on an amp before a 57!
Second to Tab-Funkenwerk!
Just spent my weekend on Tapeop, and is very impressed with the expertise and historic knowledge that Mr. Oliver Archut (Tab-Funkenwerk) knows about Telefunken/Neumann/Akg/Tab and all the other related german electronics company. We who listened at the balcony (I eavesdrop, Fletcher, D. Kennedy was talking to him and they are very impressed)
So, I drove over on Monday to Seattle, meet a few friends, and I decided to visit Tab-Funkenwerk. That was a very fascinating, gearslutz style visit.
He showed me the transformer manufacturing machines (He wound his own transformers), showed me the lab test equipment, showed me how the V72s are made, and comparison between the blueprint original and his 'additions'.
Of course, he's doing this so well, that if you want a pair of the V72s, you have to wait for 3 months!
Words out that he's also designing new bus compressor (I forgot what it's based on) but the beta testers don't want to give it back to him since they like it so much.
I wish I could listen to the difference of the V72s compared to other revered preamp in its class. He was so busy making them, he never has one in stock.
However, he promised to send me one within two weeks to compare and test with AEA ribbon mics.

Moko
Old 4th June 2003
Lives for gear

yeah, Ollie's been my little secret for some time now...the new buss Kompressors are based on the TAB U73 with Varicom...I got one.
Old 5th June 2003
Lives for gear

You must have a problem if the 672's can't handle a gtr cab. I'm in the middle of using them as overheads on a smashing track as we speak. The pad is certainly in, but I'm not having any problems at all.
Old 5th June 2003
Lives for gear

he's using V72's with no pads in'em.
Old 5th June 2003
Lives for gear

yes,

this is a Dan Alexander dual V72. It only has input gain, and output gain.

There's also no way to turn off the phantom! How an I suposed to use it with a ribon mic?

-Chris
Old 5th June 2003
Lives for gear

my bad- didn't read everything. yeah- you'll have to use a pad.
Old 10th June 2003
urumita

It's funny, no?
I can only use my 2 V72's with a U69, or 1 with a U67. Mine don't have phantom. I had a little cable that I hooked up that ran out the back that I plugged into convenient unused mic lines if I need it but I took it off because I never used it. Mine have no level or no pads, just connecterson the back and a screw in a hole on the front and of couscous the DIN rail lock.
I've tried all kinds of mics. but they've all sounded better but for the exception of the U69 or 67. I'm satisfied, even a little sceptical of mods, but I'll bite.
Who in europe does these mods? After 10 years of use mine need a little servicing and although I like the way they work now (vocals, overheads, ac gtr. violin, cello) it would be nice to have something more flex. If someone could turn my V72's into Vipres might be interesting. But where would one put all the controls, everytime I look inside I'm amazed at how much stuff there is inside. Are you guys sure you're not talking about V78's with mods?
Old 10th June 2003
Lives for gear

nope, thier definately V72s'.
look at the TAB-Funkenwerk.com site for a description of 2 V72s' with ALL the bells and whistles in 1 rackspace.
Old 10th June 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Parsons
yes,

There's also no way to turn off the phantom! How an I suposed to use it with a ribon mic?

-Chris
Phantom power will only hurt ribbons if you use a mic cable thats mis-wired.
Old 10th June 2003
Gear Head

What about patching a ribbon to a phantom powered pre? I've always wondered if theres a chance of sending the 48v down the wrong line. Can anyone clear this up?
Old 11th June 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by beggehorn
What about patching a ribbon to a phantom powered pre? I've always wondered if theres a chance of sending the 48v down the wrong line. Can anyone clear this up?
Like I said- Phantom power will only hurt ribbons if you use a mic cable thats mis-wired.
So if you have a mic cable that someone of very limited mental ability wired- you could have a problem... but as long as the mic cable is OK, you wont hurt the ribbon.
Old 11th June 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Parsons
yes,

-Chris
Use Royer 122's.
Old 11th June 2003
Gear Head

De Chromium Cob, I think you might have misunderstood my question. When you use a patchbay the tip, and ring of the patch cable have a good chance of touching the sleeve contact as they pass through. Other than a miswired cable, wouldn't that provide an oportunity for sending voltage down the wrong line? Common sense would dictate having phantom power turned off as you patch, but in the case of not having a switch would someone be safe having a pre like this on a patchbay and patching in a ribbon? I wouldn't want to try it until I knew for sure.
Old 11th June 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by beggehorn
De Chromium Cob, I think you might have misunderstood my question. When you use a patchbay the tip, and ring of the patch cable have a good chance of touching the sleeve contact as they pass through. Other than a miswired cable, wouldn't that provide an oportunity for sending voltage down the wrong line? Common sense would dictate having phantom power turned off as you patch, but in the case of not having a switch would someone be safe having a pre like this on a patchbay and patching in a ribbon? I wouldn't want to try it until I knew for sure.

Yes, its my understanding that a connection through a patchbay could possibly damage a ribbon if the patch was made with the mic hooked up and the phantom power on. But as long as you make the patch first, then hook up the mic, it shouldnt be a problem.
Old 12th June 2003
Lives for gear

Sounds like an excellent argument for using an XLR-patchbay for your mic-pre inputs. In my studio, if it is possible to do something wrong, eventually someone (like me) will probably absent-mindedly do it. So I try not to invite disaster with systems that "...should be fine as long as you remember to..."

After some sessions, I'm lucky if I can remember my name...
Old 12th June 2003
One with big hooves

I've only used V72's for overheads once and it was with a pair of U87's. I remember them sounding pretty smooth, not really dark but not exactly bright either. I don't know if they'd be my first pick all the time but they don't really suck. Usually they end up on toms or the room mics.
Old 25th August 2003
Gear Head

hi to all - yes, v72s do not have as much headroom as many other preamps ...but they sound great in the right situation...i especially like the direct input on our modified package ( like yours ) for bass and synth di...sounds great ..the di bypasses the input tranny and drives direct into the first tube....a modified v78 is most likely identical to a modified v72. A v72A , however, is very different than a v72.....without the mods, none of them really work in the real world...its hard to adjust your level to tape ( or whatever) by moving back from the mic....is your front panel black or red? two or three position ac switch? fixed back xlr panel or hanging on wires? there is no phantom switch,but i have NEVER had a complaint about anyone wrecking a ribbon mic! we sold probably 150 or 200 of those packages....maybe more. unless you have a shorted lead in your mic cable, you'll be fine....in the redd 37 ( the beatles console), i think there were 2 v72s in each channel path, with the fader in between...and yes, Oliver knows v72s and the rest of these modules as well or better than Anyone else....
Old 26th August 2003
Lives for gear

Thanks for the info Dan. BTW, my unit has a red face. 3 position AC, with dangling XLRs. I thought the DI sounded great on bass.
Old 26th August 2003
Gear Addict

First Post, Yay!!!

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post. Anyway....

1. I use AKG 451B(reissues) with V72's for drum overheads A LOT. Also, for room mic's. I think they are very smooth sounding. Also, depending on what you're recording, you can drive them to distort in a very cool sounding way(as distortion on drum OH or room mic's go).

On your Alexander's, you're gonna want to start at the lowest gain setting. The reissue 451b's have a 10db and 20db pad on them, so, if you have too much gain at the lowest setting try using the Mic's pad. The Alexander's start at 25db of gain and go to 50db in 5db steps.

I also use the V72's a lot for guitar amps as well. Overall one of my favorite sounding Mic Pre amps.

If you're having problems on guitar with the V72's distorting you should either try backing off the mic, turning down the amp or try using a Shure Mic Pad which are awesome. I think they're about $40. With the V72's only going down to 25db of gain, I end up using these a lot.

2. You are right about not being able to turn off the phantom. Any Royer ribbon mic can be used with Phantom on and not be damaged, so, check out a 121 or 122. I like these on guitar. Super-thick sounding. I usually couple it with another mic on the cabinet(s) that has a brighter response(i.e. 421, 451, 57, RE-20).

3. TAB-Funkenwerk is effing amazing. I had him rebuild a V76 of mine. It is flawless. The light on the gain setting even lights up now. I didn't even know they did light up. Anyway, strong, strong, strong recommendation. He has fixed pricing for rebuilds depending on if you have a tube or solid state unit. He also builds racks.

On the other hand I DO NOT recommend David Marquette under any circumstance. I had a horrible, horrible, expensive, horrible experience with him.(Did I mention bad?)

Anyway, good luck.

Bobby Peru
Milwaukee, WI
Old 26th August 2003
Gear Maniac

you boys are patching mic signals? surely that's a bit dodgey?

My wallboxes run straight to the mic-pres, then the balanced outputs are sent to the patchbay, normalised so that I can split one signal off to the A/D and one to the crappy console for monitoring.

Is this not normal?

Jason
Old 26th August 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Tholen
yeah, Ollie's been my little secret for some time now...the new buss Kompressors are based on the TAB U73 with Varicom...I got one
Tell us ´bout da sound pleeeease! heh
Old 1st September 2003
Gear Head

hi dont get me started about dave marquette. i used to like him when he did carpentry for me...dan alexander
Old 1st September 2003
Gear Addict

Re: First Post, Yay!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by BobbyPeru

On the other hand I DO NOT recommend David Marquette under any circumstance. I had a horrible, horrible, expensive, horrible experience with him.(Did I mention bad?)

Anyway, good luck.

Bobby Peru
Milwaukee, WI
Hmmm. I have a Marquette racked V78 that I like, but it has some issues - like the two channels are out
of phase! It has always felt a little unstable too - easy to overload the input, etc. I suppose I will have to send
it to TAB to have it looked over. Is that what you did? I didn't buy it directly through Marquette so I'm sure
there would be no warranty anyway.

Curious to hear more about this....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search