The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Great River EQ-2NV or the Hammer? Equalisers (HW)
Old 8th March 2010
Lives for gear

Great River EQ-2NV or the Hammer?

I have an MP-2NV, so the EQ-2NV seemed like the logical choice, but the Hammer seems to get a lot of great reviews and they're both around the same price. I'd mainly use it for tracking, particularly vocals, bass, and guitar, but will also want to use it on various groups and busses from time to time.

Anyone use both of these, have a preference, or maybe some advice based on what I own and what I'll be using them for?

Thanks.
Old 8th March 2010
I haven't used the Hammer, but the GR is extremely versatile both in tonal variety (softer to cleaner) and general function with it's multiple bands and the ability to change the bandwidth (fixed settings and shelf/peak in top and bottom, but it covers anything I ever needed).
Old 8th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
I haven't used the Hammer, but the GR is extremely versatile both in tonal variety (softer to cleaner) and general function with it's multiple bands and the ability to change the bandwidth (fixed settings and shelf/peak in top and bottom, but it covers anything I ever needed).
+1

Nathan is a class act, and I agree with him here, the GR 2NV is one of the best dang EQ's I've ever used (That's why I own two of them!), super versatile, but also flexible. Plus you'll be able to swap in the output transformer from your MP-2NV with a patch cable when you want to make things thicker.

I've never tried the Hammer, but I think A-Designs is also a great company...I would just go with the EQ-2NV first is all.
Old 8th March 2010
Lives for gear

Regardless if I'm selling an EQ2NV or not I always keep it real when it comes to my opinion.

The EQ2NV and Hammer couldn't be more different if they tried.

Hammer: Very smooth tube non aggressive sound - a thick brush to paint with. Good for sweetening tracks and stereo mixes.

EQ2NV: More focused and aggressive sounding. Can do the thick brush but also able to zoom in and EQ out frequency issues. 4 Bands and HP means more flexibility.

If I had a lot of EQs and wanted nice smooth tube color the Hammer is incredible for the money.

If I needed a flexible EQ to use on as many applications as possible then the EQ2NV takes the cake.
Old 8th March 2010
Lives for gear

I agree with Syra. The Hammer is great for broad strokes, but doesn't reach to surgical.

I have both on hand, and would say that in general the EQ-2NV is a better choice for tracking and the Hammer for group and bus duties. There's no hard rule on this, so YMMV.
Old 8th March 2010
Is the gain in the eq2nv stepped?
Old 8th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by henge View Post
No. The EQ-2NV has an input sensitivity knob that is stepped (five settings between -20 and +8dBm). However the boost and cut knobs for each band aren't stepped or detented - they range continuously from -15db to +15dB.

There is a separate mastering eq from GR (the MAQ-2NV) that has stepped settings for each band. But the EQ-2NV has never had that AFAIK.
Old 8th March 2010
Jai guru deva om

For vocal / bass / guitar tracking you could not go wrong with either, just depends on how in depth you want to get and if you like carving or sort of sweetening.

Great River for carving

Hammer for sweetening

War
Old 8th March 2010
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by henge View Post
No... but it is on the MAQ-2NV [which golly gee - I just happen to have one for sale... feel free to PM an offer].
Old 9th March 2010
Lives for gear

Never tried the Hammer but I got the great river eqs. They used to be Mercenary Editions until GR modded them for me to "Donnx Editions"heh

I love em. Great little boxes and well built, Dan did a fantastic job. thumbsup
Old 11th March 2010
500 series nutjob

Dan dose amazing work so i would bet his EQ absolutely rock, sadly i have not had one in.
the HAMMER is here, and i do love it.
try them both, see what you like!
Old 11th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syra View Post
Regardless if I'm selling an EQ2NV or not I always keep it real when it comes to my opinion.

The EQ2NV and Hammer couldn't be more different if they tried.

Hammer: Very smooth tube non aggressive sound - a thick brush to paint with. Good for sweetening tracks and stereo mixes.

EQ2NV: More focused and aggressive sounding. Can do the thick brush but also able to zoom in and EQ out frequency issues. 4 Bands and HP means more flexibility.

If I had a lot of EQs and wanted nice smooth tube color the Hammer is incredible for the money.

If I needed a flexible EQ to use on as many applications as possible then the EQ2NV takes the cake.
I own both and agree with everything said above.
Old 12th March 2010
Lives for gear

How does the Great River compare to the ELI LilFREQ?
Old 12th March 2010
Baz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM Interactive View Post
I agree with Syra. The Hammer is great for broad strokes, but doesn't reach to surgical.

I have both on hand, and would say that in general the EQ2NV is a better choice for tracking and the Hammer for group and bus duties. There's no hard rule on this, so YMMV.
+2 with Syra. Bang on with why I got one for our studio. I use the 5500 a lot in another studio, and love it, but we needed versatile for our first h/w EQ and seeing we had the MP2NV, the patch points to integrate them, made it clear they were meant to be paired.

I've never heard the Hammer in person, but I'd imagine that it's more like the 5500, in the sense of it working in broader strokes, which isn't a bad thing by any means!
Old 12th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
+2 with Syra. Bang on with why I got one for our studio. I use the 5500 a lot in another studio, and love it, but we needed versatile for our first h/w EQ and seeing we had the MP2NV, the patch points to integrate them, made it clear they were meant to be paired.

I've never heard the Hammer in person, but I'd imagine that it's more like the 5500, in the sense of it working in broader strokes, which isn't a bad thing by any means!
Its not like the hammer i`ve both, 550B its super in it´s own way, but the hammer is another story
Old 12th March 2010
Baz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisse Hult View Post
Its not like the hammer i`ve both, 550B its super in it´s own way, but the hammer is another story
Thanks, but I guess I wasn't clear in my post. I simply meant that the Hammer is probably more like the 5500 in the sense of both being broad stroke type EQ's.I wasn't implying they were similar in tone

The GR on the other hand can be quite surgical.
Old 12th March 2010
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapfreak View Post
How does the Great River compare to the ELI LilFREQ?
Those I have tried... the Lil FrEQ can get WAY "surgical" [you can circumcise a gnat while it's in the air you can get the bandwidth so tight] and has less of an "opinion" than the Great River. The de-esser in the Lil FrEQ is second only to the de-esser know as the Derr-esser which is a VERY handy tool for everything from acoustic guitar "finger squeaks" to sibilant vocals.

The Great River on the other hand is a wonderfully aggressive drum EQ and does things for guitars that are probably illegal in most of the US "red states"... it has a way about it that no other equalizer I have EVER used has exhibited... AND when coupled with an MP-2NV is about the most versatile set of tools you can find in 2 RU ever built.

While we're here [and because I'm moving and selling a bunch of my stuff] the MAQ-2NV is much smoother and far better suited to program material... it can also add an "air" to vocals and "full mix" like nobody's business... it has the ability to bring out a thunder in the low end that can crush ribs at any volume and a cream to the midrange [in both additive as well as subtractive use] that will allow you to shape the overall picture of a sound with style, grace, and a whole lot less EQ that you would probably end up using with any other unit.

Hope this is of some assistance.

Peace.
Old 12th March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post

While we're here [and because I'm moving and selling a bunch of my stuff] the MAQ-2NV is much smoother and far better suited to program material

Although, I've personally gotten (years) of GREAT results specifically on the 2 bus during mix with the regular non mastering verion i.e. EQ2NV (FWIW). I'm not sure if I would describe it as aggressive, it's not mellow, but it's not overtly forward or anything like that. More in the middle in terms of punch and color, some pieces are more mellow, and some are more clean.
Old 22nd June 2010
Lives for gear

anyone know is possible to mod the Eq-2nv with the transformers used in the MAQ version?
Old 22nd June 2010
If we're having a Pimpfest, I have one for sale in the classifieds right now...

I've always kind of wondered, but haven't tried it since I only have one GR pre-amp, if you couldn't basically use a stereo combo as a bit of a two channel fattening summer by pushing your mixdown through the EQ, and hence through the pre-amp's transformers, while pushing the input hard? Maybe some small EQ tweaks along the way as well I guess if warranted.
Old 22nd June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietrich10 View Post
anyone know is possible to mod the Eq-2nv with the transformers used in the MAQ version?
All transformers are the same now...

I just asked Dan
Old 23rd June 2010
Lives for gear

but what about swapping the MAQ/current transformers into an older 2nv?
like the one being sold just above
Old 23rd June 2010
Lives for gear

I dont think it makes THAT much difference.... maybe a little cleaner on the MAQ transformers from what i understand
Old 23rd June 2010
Lives for gear

I've used both mastering version and non. difference to me was enough where I would not use the original stock EQ in my mastering chain
Old 23rd June 2010
Gear addict

we have the original here at the studio and its always used on guitars with great results. It definitely has more impact and bigness on the guitars then the SSL eq. Never used the Hammer but it looks cool.

Junk
Old 24th June 2010
Gear addict

Great thread, it's good to know these different eq's strong points and different characteristics.

I'm gonna order me a GR eq2nv right away.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search